Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You do realize that humans have physical primes, right? As do NHL players.

I think anyone who can use some logic would say the 22 year old who outproduced the 27 year old likely has a better shot of improving and becoming a better NHLer.

Both the players you listed are a year older than McMann... I like McMann, but he is approaching 30.

Also, Mason Marchment is the most overrated player on these boards, he is not that good.

I think McMann is better (even if it isn't by a lot) and he is much better in the role he plays, so I wouldn't advocate for Robertson over him.

The players also need time to develop in the NHL, if they aren't your best option come playoff time, fine, but how will you know unless they get playing.

Bobby McMann is younger than William Nylander by a few months.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There is some logic in having each of the top guys drive their own lines though. The key is, rolling those three lines pretty evenly 5v5. Instead of thinking of them as line 1 gets the most time... well, they all get played equally. If it works, it's a pretty hard matchup, to shut down three offensively strong lines, that can all hurt you.

I don't disagree that there is logic, I just don't think they are going to do it, mostly because they have never split those guys up, not by choice anyway.

Maybe if they can swing another Ryan O'Reilly type trade at the deadline but baring that I don't think it happens

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Bobby McMann is younger than William Nylander by a few months.

And????? Nylander is leaving his prime as well, this is why I laugh when everyone celebrates these 8 year deals of a player approaching 30 like we got this amazing discount.

Are you trying to help me prove my point?

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They don't win with potential though.

I'm all for investing for the future, so playing Robertson, or Grebenkin, or Minten, or ... over a veteran like Kampf/Jarnkrok/Dewar knowing they are inferior(note 1) today, but a bigger part of the future is okay, within reason. A good team can get away with that.

Note 1: If they need someone to PK, you don't put Robertson in for Dewar.

I would add that teams should always have an eye towards developing youth, but the onus is also on the young players to bring a certain level of playability while they learn on their job and there’s usually a risk vs reward ratio that goes into whether a kid will get a look.

If a kid is virtually unplayable in most entry level bottom 6 roles, but has long shot 20 goal potential, it’s going to be tough going to get to that upside.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What’s your opening line up look like?

Knies Matthews Domi
Mcann Tavares Marner
Robertson Holmberg Nylander
Dewar Kampf Jancrok
Cowan Reaves

These are not my set lines but just a rough idea with what we got. Reaves is on borrowed time but we have the cap space to carry extra bodies this year.
Roster-wise, no one because the waiver claim risk with him would be very high. I doubt the team would want to expose him to waivers.

Lineup-wise, probably Grebenkin or maybe Holmberg if Berube plays Domi at 3C instead of on Matthews' wing. Assumption is that Cowan earns a top 9 lineup spot out of camp and will get consistent playing time during his first 9 regular season games before they decide if he stays past that.

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Robertson/Grebenkin-Tavares-Marner
Cowan-Holmberg-Nylander
McMann-Kampf-Jarnkrok
(Dewar+Grebenkin/Robertson extra Fs)
I could see Robertson being traded sometime during camp and Reaves, Cowan, Dewar alternating between playing and the press box.

Reactions: ULF_55

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It does seem like he's finally gotten it through his head to come here since he's not getting traded and won't earn nearly as much anywhere else.

Honestly to me this seems like a classic case of pump and dump, give him a ton of minutes in the top 6 or 9 and give him PP time, bolster his stats and then ideally move off him for something we could use.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It does seem like he's finally gotten it through his head to come here since he's not getting traded and won't earn nearly as much anywhere else.

Honestly to me this seems like a classic case of pump and dump, give him a ton of minutes in the top 6 or 9 and give him PP time, bolster his stats and then ideally move off him for something we could use.

If he is producing and helping with secondary scoring, maybe we can trade him to get some secondary scoring, which we always need...........

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

I doubt he makes it to the end of camp before being moved.
Better options with better atitudes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Attachments

• 1725907752564.jpeg
    1725907752564.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 2

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't follow the logic of trading Robertson.
If he is producing providing secondary scoring, why trade him for secondary scoring?

He is young and cheap, exactly what the team needs.
He wants out.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If he is producing providing secondary scoring, why trade him for secondary scoring?

I wasn't being serious... he can potentially help with a problem we have, and the only way to trade him for value is if he is helping us... it's silly.

Reactions: The Iceman

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I doubt he makes it to the end of camp before being moved.
Better options with better atitudes.

While I am 100% okay with that scenario, I just don't see how if we didn't get an offer all summer that made us think about it....we'd get one during training camp?

You'd think the team acquiring him would rather have him in their camp from the start.

I see him gone by the TDL at the absolute latest, this is definitely his last year in the organization.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
What’s your opening line up look like?

Knies Matthews Domi
Mcann Tavares Marner
Robertson Holmberg Nylander
Dewar Kampf Jancrok
Cowan Reaves

These are not my set lines but just a rough idea with what we got. Reaves is on borrowed time but we have the cap space to carry extra bodies this year.
3rd line center upgrade is needed badly.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
While I am 100% okay with that scenario, I just don't see how if we didn't get an offer all summer that made us think about it....we'd get one during training camp?

You'd think the team acquiring him would rather have him in their camp from the start.

I see him gone by the TDL at the absolute latest, this is definitely his last year in the organization.
I think it's just the Leafs putting their foot down, doing things on their terms not the players.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
3rd line center upgrade is needed badly.
Yup big time. The other possibility is:

Knies Matthews Marner
Mcann Tavares Nylander
Robertson Domi Jancrok
Dewar Kampf Holmberg
Cowan Reaves

You move Domi to the third line center but then having Robertson and Domi on the same line means we have to keep them sheltered. You can move Robertson down to 4th and move Holmberg up.

Doesn’t matter which way you look at it the 3rd line center spot needs an upgrade. It might be at the deadline or next season we get it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think it's just the Leafs putting their foot down, doing things on their terms not the players.

I think the identified trades I found were...

Nils Hoglander from Vancouver
Jonatan Berggren from Detroit
2nd from Carolina
Mavrik Bourque from Dallas

If we're getting offered like a 3rd round pick, I think we may be better off holding onto him and trying to build value to get a better return.

Reactions: Ciao and ACC1224

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I can only see it happening if after a successful 2024-25 Robertson still wants out. However this time next year assuming he does have a good season he'll have actual trade value and the Leafs could move off him for someone of equal or greater value.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I stand by every comment I’ve made on this subject up to now, but despite that, I’m still pleased to hear this seems to be heading towards him staying. I think he got some bad advice this summer probably more than anything and there is still a strong fit and opportunity for him here.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad