Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Dominates the OHL
Plays amazing in the AHL
Has a higher PPG than Knies and McMann while being put in a worse position

What else is he supposed to do?

Sign a contract and show up to camp in a year where there is an open LW spot and a new coach.

Robertson is the one refusing to sign. Management had indicated they want him back but they can't force him.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
“It sounds like he’s leaning more toward recognizing what he has in Toronto..."

Recognizing he has no real leverage that provides him a positive outcome.

"...and making the best of the situation.”

But still wants out.

And to that end, if we can maximize his (Get me outta here!) effort for a piece that is a more dependable performer or higher draft pick than where we found him, then it's a win-win situation - emphasis being our win.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
“It sounds like he’s leaning more toward recognizing what he has in Toronto..."

Recognizing he has no real leverage that provides him a positive outcome.

"...and making the best of the situation.”

But still wants out.

And to that end, if we can maximize his (Get me outta here!) effort for a piece that is a more dependable performer or higher draft pick than where we found him, then it's a win-win situation - emphasis being our win.

He needs to take a page from the DeBrusk playbook. Put your head down, play well, cash out. I think his camp is realizing that missing playing time is just pure dumb. The best way to get traded or whatever is to play well and teams will want you and will pay you.

Maybe a new coach and opportunity things will click and he'll stay long-term too. You just never know. I'm just surprised it took this long for Berube to talk to Robertson.... that should have been done months ago.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
While ideal, pretty unrealistic. Not utilizing Robertson doesn't make that happen, and he's one of the ones who not only can grow in that area, but who brings other qualities that still make him a net benefit.
TOR better wish that this amazing Robertson kid stays healthy. They're in big trouble if he has a long lay off. Oh wait!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sounds like he might be changing his mind?

Now maybe they'll get around to striking a deal.

The offer was to retain his rights, they can sign for more.

Leafs are the hammer, always have been.

1725892257513.png

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'm happy that it looks like he will sign, I think a lot of this board will be upset though.

Sign a contract and show up to camp in a year where there is an open LW spot and a new coach.

Robertson is the one refusing to sign. Management had indicated they want him back but they can't force him.

I have gotten this response a few times to that post.

I thought it was obvious, but I am referring to past seasons where he has not been given the chance despite outplaying other players.

Now maybe they'll get around to striking a deal.

The offer was to retain his rights, they can sign for more.

Leafs are the hammer, always have been.

View attachment 906012

Treliving has been the hammer in 0 contract negotiations so far, and I'm not sure that will change under these circumstances either.

Maybe a new coach and opportunity things will click and he'll stay long-term too. You just never know. I'm just surprised it took this long for Berube to talk to Robertson.... that should have been done months ago.

The coach just needs to not play plugs like Reaves over him and we are fine.

Although half this board may have a heart attack if the new coach values winning over goons.

I also don't think the opportunity is as big as others think, there are already nine top 9 forwards penciled in on most people's opening day lineup.

Guaranteed top 9:
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Knies
Domi

Most likely top 9:
Holmberg
McMann
Jarnkrok

He likely won't take out Holmberg because he is a C this year I think (unless Domi/Nylander take over C).

So he is battling with McMann and Jarnkrok.

I think the ideal situation is that Jarnkrok takes Reaves' spot and we have a capable shutdown line instead of two thirds of one.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm happy that it looks like he will sign, I think a lot of this board will be upset though.

I have gotten this response a few times to that post.

I thought it was obvious, but I am referring to past seasons where he has not been given the chance despite outplaying other players.

Treliving has been the hammer in 0 contract negotiations so far, and I'm not sure that will change under these circumstances either.

The coach just needs to not play plugs like Reaves over him and we are fine.

Although half this board may have a heart attack if the new coach values winning over goons.

I also don't think the opportunity is as big as others think, there are already nine top 9 forwards penciled in on most people's opening day lineup.

Guaranteed top 9:
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Knies
Domi

Most likely top 9:
Holmberg
McMann
Jarnkrok

He likely won't take out Holmberg because he is a C this year I think (unless Domi/Nylander take over C).

So he is battling with McMann and Jarnkrok.

I think the ideal situation is that Jarnkrok takes Reaves' spot and we have a capable shutdown line instead of two thirds of one.

If you don’t think his opportunity is as great as people think, why have you made such a big fuss about his limited utilization in the past? Does not compute.

Reactions: Jmo89

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He needs to take a page from the DeBrusk playbook. Put your head down, play well, cash out. I think his camp is realizing that missing playing time is just pure dumb. The best way to get traded or whatever is to play well and teams will want you and will pay you.

All he needs is to be treated fairly.

Be great if he blows away the competition and has added some strength over the summer.

Speaking to the coach ... save face and accept reality.

How long ago did Treliving tell him the same thing?

ITM

Jan 26, 2012

Completely open to a change of heart from NR. But man, oh man, it's bad enough having a club with questionable motivation in the first place. Add a player who has openly asked for a trade out is just more wood for the pyre.

Here's hoping Berube has a profound effect on the room.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If you don’t think his opportunity is as great as people think, why have you made such a big fuss about his limited utilization in the past? Does not compute.

Because we continue to play worse players over him... if the coaching staff is smart, he has an opportunity.

I'm not confident based on how much Treliving values face-punching, he also influences the team, but we will see with Berube.

Does not compute? Maybe you just aren't capable of understanding, not sure.

Discussing a prospect and thinking he is better off with the team in hopes that he is played since he is better than some current roster players is not making a fuss.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who will be Robertsons biggest competition to make the Team out of camp?

Cowan?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Because we continue to play worse players over him... if the coaching staff is smart, he has an opportunity.
Or if he were good enough, he would've taken a spot. Yet, even the BFF of the GM who drafted him couldn't see past some things because, realistically, he's not better than the other top 9 options that have been or are still here.

So, making claims like this one below makes you seem like the one who doesn't understand.

Does not compute? Maybe you just aren't capable of understanding, not sure.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Cowan?

Or they can put together the shutdown line they should have had last year and both can make the team.

Holmberg - Kampf - Jarnkrok was always the answer to that line.

Or if he were good enough, he would've taken a spot. Yet, even the BFF of the GM who drafted him couldn't see past some things because, realistically, he's not better than the other top 9 options that have been or are still here.

Do you think the most deserving players always play? I don't think coaches are perfect, maybe you do.

So, making claims like this one below makes you seem like the one who doesn't understand.

This is a well-thought-out sentence.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Cowan?

Cowan for sure and any other PTO they sign. I think Cowan signing probably means he recognizes if Cowan jumps him this year that’s the end of Robertson, the leafs would for sure let him sit

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Cowan for sure and any other PTO they sign. I think Cowan signing probably means he recognizes if Cowan jumps him this year that’s the end of Robertson, the leafs would for sure let him sit
I'd be surprised if they were to lose Robertson to waivers in order to sign a PTO.
Cowan goes back to junior if he doesn't make it? Can't see that happening either.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd be surprised if they were to lose Robertson to waivers in order to sign a PTO.
Cowan goes back to junior if he doesn't make it? Can't see that happening either.

Unless Robertson tanks it to get waived to get moved to the worst team in the league for an easier path to playing time?

Based on last year's standings San Jose?

Yeah, don't see him getting waived.

They can waive a bigger contract that would enable an ELSC to get in based on the cleared cap amount.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
Agreed: Have to maximize Robertson and keep our powder dry with Cowan...because we can.

Let Cowan take a few scalps in the AHL before coming to the big club.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
that’s his completion i see for top 6 playing time. Right now i see him on the third line but there’s is a chance for him on the second.
I guess we'll see but I would be absolutely shocked if those guys aren't both (Holmberg, McMann) on the team opening night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad