NHL Board of Governors to approve opening of expansion process; Atlanta and Houston believed to be leading candidates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Actually even if they were "talented enough to be in it" there clearly weren't 40 players as talented as the players they took from other teams.

Otherwise why have an expansion draft.

You can also look at it this way. If Vegas and Seattle folded, would other teams not get better by way of picking up their best players?
I mean, you could reverse this argument and say that the league would greatly improve talent wise if they contracted to 6 teams.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I mean, you could reverse this argument and say that the league would greatly improve talent wise if they contracted to 6 teams.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I agree, I would never make that case.

I quoted somebody who claimed it had been disproven that the talent diluted with last expansions.

I was pointing out why that's false.

Reactions: dukeofjive

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I am happy with this

More NHL teams is good thing and its great if Houston finally is in. Should have been one of the late 90's expansion teams if not for the mutliple bids, potential legal fights, etc that sunk Houston's chances

And I think Atlanta will do great in suburbs like Braves. And area will only continue to grow

With all the speculation/interest reported this past year it's not surprising. And for this process to begin its clear NHL and those interested have been having preliminary talks for a while now

Atlanta and Houston seem safe bets for #33 and #34

Wonder if any other interested parties will put together enough of a bid to be #35 and #36
Yea because Atlanta always works out well. I’m sure the 3rd time will be much better

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Metro size is important, sure but look at Atlanta in the past - HUGE metro and they've lost two teams due to lack of interest.
This is incorrect. The second team was not lost due to fan interest, but due to deliberate sabotage by their ownership (who never wanted to own them in the first place but were obliged to buy them as a package deal to also get the arena and the basketball team).

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That's not the point. The point is twofold:
1) We have fans of all teams here and it's a dick move to kick folks while they're down, and
2) So many folks are perfectly happy to toss off "oh, just relocate teams" without considering the implications and impact that has on actual people.

So if you're going to push for relocation and claim it as a benefit, put your money where your mouth is and offer up your own team rather than obliging others to take the hit for it.
That's already been taken care of in the 1990s, but ultimately you move on and take it or leave it with the other teams. There are still several markets that have significantly stronger organizations within less than 200 miles. From Atlanta it's 250 to Nashville and from Houston about the same to Dallas.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
this would have to be the format

european sports have this premise. a bedard-led team should be able to get to the A league within a couple years

agreed

but there's a way to pitch it*

double (?) the cap for the higher league, no cap floor for the lower league. you don't think owners of teams naturally rebuilding would be thrilled to not have to overpay for vets just to lose 55 games a year? the b-league teams playing only each other should be fairly competitive. parity on steroids.

meanwhile the a-league is basically an 8 month playoff

*i have less than zero faith in the NHL as is exists to pull it off

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Saw someone else say this but it's amazing that the least popular of the "big 4" leagues is somehow going to end up with the most teams.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Not surprising. The NHL’s best product the last decade has been its expansion teams in Vegas and Seattle. They’ve handled expansion with them better than any other North American League ever has.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Damn the product quality. The owners got their taste of expansion fees and want more. Bring on a 56 team league!

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
If the league wants to market it star players more it needs to give them more opportunities to control/dominate games. Making the league average player and replacement level player marginally worse gives the elite more opportunities for this. Talent dilution is probably more beneficial than harmful for the league

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Artificially inflate revenues via expansion fees while keeping ticket, concession, merchandise and viewing packages prohibitively expensive while making every team less likely to win anything. Neato! Fabulous idea.

You're also leaving out ads on jerseys, helmets, digital ads on the boards and more ads on the ice, physically and digitally imposed.

Those poor billionaires and millionaires don't make enough.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Seems like Bettman's run out of ideas to generate income other than through expansion fees.

Why think of ways to improve the existing product when you can just water it down and pull in revenue that way instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad