NHL Board of Governors to approve opening of expansion process; Atlanta and Houston believed to be leading candidates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
I can't believe Atlanta is any serious discussion. I say go to KC before giving Atlanta a chance at a 3rd failure.

Houston makes a bit of sense. Wonder if you could make somewhere like Boise, ID work to try to capitalize on the rocky mountain region?
Boise would be worse than Quebec City by nearly tenfold. Same size metro area but fractional hockey base.

With Seattle, Utah, Vegas, and Colorado the "Rocky Mountain Region" is as saturated as it can possibly get.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
What makes people think Atlanta will work the 3rd time around.
Technically, many of the NHL teams had 2-3 teams start and fold before a stable ownership group was found.

Granted it was usually a long time ago. I have no problem with the market; just that the NHL seems to finally actually vet the ownership groups better than they did even up into the 90's.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Boise would be worse than Quebec City by nearly tenfold. Same size metro area but fractional hockey base.

With Seattle, Utah, Vegas, and Colorado the "Rocky Mountain Region" is as saturated as it can possibly get.
Fair. I was just looking at a map to see where there were geographical gaps.

Also why I suggested KC.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Let he or she who would take a team away from fans first volunteer his or her own. No exceptions. Ever. No, not even if you follow an established or O6 team.
Other owners wouldn't allow the relocation of an O6 team, realistically it's more the bottom six in revenue that are candidates. Unfortunate for the fans like now in Phoenix of course, but also Atlanta and Houston have fan bases that have lost teams before.

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
There are barely enough NHL calibre players to fill out 20-24 teams. Ice hockey just doesn't have the talent pool of a soccer or basketball.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I've always wondered about Milwaukee or Green Bay

Milwaukee doesn't have arena, ownership group, much of a fanbase to build off of and really is oversaturated at this point

Also, the Hawks would very much oppose such I imagine as it potentially eats into Hawks fanbase/footprint in Northern Illinois and Wisconsin border

Green Bay is a small city that would never be able to support even a higher level minor league team. Packers are unique to city and it is the city sports landscape now and forever

GB population in city is just a little over 100k and just a little over 300k for entire metro area. Its not viable

Reactions: piqued

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Other owners wouldn't allow the relocation of an O6 team, realistically it's more the bottom six in revenue that are candidates. Unfortunate for the fans like now in Phoenix of course, but also Atlanta and Houston have fan bases that have lost teams before.
That's not the point. The point is twofold:
1) We have fans of all teams here and it's a dick move to kick folks while they're down, and
2) So many folks are perfectly happy to toss off "oh, just relocate teams" without considering the implications and impact that has on actual people.

So if you're going to push for relocation and claim it as a benefit, put your money where your mouth is and offer up your own team rather than obliging others to take the hit for it.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
What makes people think Atlanta will work the 3rd time around.
Idk about the first time around, but the second time wasn't the fault of the fans or a lack of profitability. New owners didn't want them, no one at the time willing to keep them in ATL.

Poor Quebec. NHL really doesnt care to go back there.
It's really too bad because they do everything right. Don't speak too loud about it, followed the NHL application process back in '17 respectfully, and no dice.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I am happy with this

More NHL teams is good thing and its great if Houston finally is in. Should have been one of the late 90's expansion teams if not for the mutliple bids, potential legal fights, etc that sunk Houston's chances

And I think Atlanta will do great in suburbs like Braves. And area will only continue to grow

With all the speculation/interest reported this past year it's not surprising. And for this process to begin its clear NHL and those interested have been having preliminary talks for a while now

Atlanta and Houston seem safe bets for #33 and #34

Wonder if any other interested parties will put together enough of a bid to be #35 and #36

Arizona will be back eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad