NHL Board of Governors to approve opening of expansion process; Atlanta and Houston believed to be leading candidates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Poor Quebec. NHL really doesnt care to go back there.
They could obviously support it but even with the Canadian dollar issue aside, I genuinely do think between the weather, taxes and Quebec's aggressive pushback against anglophones they might never sign a non Quebecois free agent. I suppose some of the euros would like it as it might feel closest to home

Reactions: FMichael

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I get it. It might help.

To be honest I couldn't care less about my team playing McDavid at home every year, or Bedard, or whomever.

This might help hockey to a degree. It will dilute the skill level so players who really aren't NHL material will make it and allow for more goals, more skill plays as it's easier to pull on inferior opponents. Likely brings back some tougher players and could result in more animosity, which this game and sports in general is severely lacking.

At the same time the NHL will just push it so you play every team minimum twice and less games against "rivals", teams just adapt a more defensive play and now you have the dead puck era again and shit hockey.

You look at celebrities, or stars from other sports who like hockey and when asked why they're usually talking about the fights and speed.

Hopefully I'm dead wrong and there's some animosity that comes back, but not the Marty McSoreley type.

Reactions: Choralone

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Back door discussions should already be done. Especially with Houston. Either Fertitia is willing to pay the expansion price or he doesn’t. NHL needs to know that and probably what the plans are for the Toyota Center for the next 2 decades.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am happy with this

More NHL teams is good thing and its great if Houston finally is in. Should have been one of the late 90's expansion teams if not for the mutliple bids, potential legal fights, etc that sunk Houston's chances

And I think Atlanta will do great in suburbs like Braves. And area will only continue to grow

With all the speculation/interest reported this past year it's not surprising. And for this process to begin its clear NHL and those interested have been having preliminary talks for a while now

Atlanta and Houston seem safe bets for #33 and #34

Wonder if any other interested parties will put together enough of a bid to be #35 and #36

Last edited:
Reactions: piqued

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad