NHL players who played in the ECHL

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
So I made a YouTube video compiling 5 NHL players that at one point or another played in the ECHL.
Anyway I wanted to pose the question, what NHL players at one point or another defied the odds and made the NHL and had a lengthy career after playing in the ECHL?

Here's the link to the video if you wanted to give it a watch and support me:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Deryk Engelland played 148 career ECHL games, didn't make his NHL debut till he was 27. Can't imagine there are many skaters who played 100+ ECHL games and who have also played 500+ NHL games. Alex Burrows is another one, 134 ECHL games and over 900 NHL games.

There are probably a fair few NHLers who suited up for a quick stint in the ECHL, but the number who played significant time there is a much smaller list, especially if you're just talking skaters.

For example; Pens have had Tom Kuhnhackl, Josh Archibald, Mark Letestu, Alex Grant, Jean-Sebastien Dea, Carter Rowney and Ben Street all spent a little time in the ECHL but nothing close to a full season.

Last edited:

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
i didn't watch your video so he might be on there but Rich Peverley started his pro career in the ECHL and eventually carved out a nice NHL career until heart issues drove him out of hockey.

Joel Ward didn't play in the ECHL but after his junior career he played four years at the Canadian University level! That's where former junior player's careers go to die. He carved out a really good NHL career after that. Amazing story

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
i didn't watch your video so he might be on there but Rich Peverley started his pro career in the ECHL and eventually carved out a nice NHL career until heart issues drove him out of hockey.

Joel Ward didn't play in the ECHL but after his junior career he played four years at the Canadian University level! That's where former junior player's careers go to die. He carved out a really good NHL career after that. Amazing story
Actually didn't know that about Ward, that's quite amazing actually.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
David Desharnais played 68 ECHL games in 07-08. I feel it's quite significant for a player that played 500+ NHL games.
He's at that weird size / skill level where every one looks past you, and you have to work your ass off to get a shot. He was pretty good for a while in the NHL.

Reactions: hilarnat

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
David Desharnais played 68 ECHL games in 07-08. I feel it's quite significant for a player that played 500+ NHL games.

He was actually terrific that year, he got 106 pts in 68 games, 41 pts more than the following player on the team (65 pts). They won the championship that year, and DD claimed three ECHL awards: Most Valuable Player, Rookie of the Year, and the Leading Scorer award.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Scott Gordon was the first ECHL goalie to be recalled by an NHL team. While he didn't have much of an NHL career (23 games in two seasons with the Nordiques), it did evolve into a head coaching position with two NHL teams. Conversely, I believe Damian Rhodes (former Leafs/Senators/Thrashers goalie) was the first to go directly from the NHL to the ECHL.

Artūrs Irbe might be the only player to be sent down to the ECHL on an one-way contract, played good enough to be named to the ECHL all-star game as a starter, and recalled back to his original team, all within the same season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

He wasnt even a standout in the AUS either. Sure he lead the league in his 4th year at UPEI but was barely above the well known all star Luc Chiasson.

Quite incredible to even play a game after playing 4 years of Canadian university, let alone a career high of 24goals and 49pts making $25 million along the way.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Maxime Lajoie played a game in the ECHL LAST YEAR and is now playing top 4 minutes in Ottawa putting up 13 points in 32 games.

Mike Hoffman also played a couple games in the ECHL.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
lots and lots of goalies have played in the ECHL that made it to the show...only so many spots on AHL rosters, some times the kids have to earn their stripes down there first.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017

Mathieu Darche never played "junior", he played 4 years with McGill University (OUAA) and ended up with 250 NHL games played. Not as successful as Ward but a pretty darn good accomplishment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad