Prospect Info: NHL Draft 2018 - Friday...Friday...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IF something happens, what will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I do. The prevailing concern was, "Junior scoring is no guarantee of NHL scoring." Numerous comparisons to other guys who piled up points in juniors who went on to freeze out in the big league. People saying that "What works in juniors won't work in the NHL." Etc.

For the last time, I'm not drawing a direct parallel between Strome and Tkachuk in terms of the types of players they are skill-wise. I'm comparing the atmosphere around them - the cottage industry of pundits and observers who take players' red flags and douse them with a healthy dose of optimism based on a trait or set of traits that appeals to said observer. I'll take myself as an example - every time someone said that we shouldn't take Strome at #3 (and there were more than a few of those people posting here at the time), I always came back and said, "He's the smartest player in the draft, according to the scouts - and you can't teach hockey smarts." So I have fallen victim to that sort of thinking myself. I think people look at Brady Tkachuk, his name, and the "intangibles" people feel he brings to the game, and say he's NHL-ready and a top-five (or even top-three) pick based on the optics.

As far as professional sports go, I think hockey is most sensitive to this whole idea of "intangibles" affecting the game. This isn't baseball, where mathematics can break the myths of "good faces" and "toolsy guys in need of development" and all the other scouting shorthand used to describe guys who viscerally appeal even if they don't statistically. There is legitimate value in hockey to a guy's work ethic, his hustle, and his drive. The question I have with Brady Tkachuk is, does his set of "intangibles" qualify him as a 5OA pick in this year's draft? Because his scorecard certainly doesn't.

I think this speaks to the bigger question of how caught up people can get into certain metrics, which Chayka himself even said is where the downfall occurs in the draft - not looking at the big picture and falling in love with this specific skillset while potentially ignoring others.

On the whole, Tkachuk will play a nasty and physical game, which is similar to what his bloodlines show. Does that mean that we don't already have some players who could physically be that type in Fischer or even Panik? Crouse checks those boxes when back in the NHL. Plus, even if you are not a "physical" player, you still have to be ready for the rough and tumble NHL, so just b/c a draftable player hasn't shown it doesn't mean that physicality isn't in there. The question becomes how many of those do we need and will the other pieces of Tkachuk's game round out so that we aren't only relying on the physical nature (think Crouse's rookie year - we know that there is some offensive upside, but never had the chance to work that out, until back in the AHL)?

I guess my thinking is that we already have some of that available, how desperate are we to pick up some physicality in the draft and that early? This is why I tend to believe that Tkachuk is not that high on our list, but I could be dead wrong.

I would much rather just get Rinaldo back and use every 6th round pick from here until eternity on the most physical, badass player with some offensive ability to round out our lineup. This way, we always will have someone who could develop into the player we see Tkachuk, while still reaping the benefit of a player like Wahlstrom, whose ability to put points up is far greater than that of Tkachuk's.

Reactions: Grimes

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Someone tell me about Hughes. I know next to nothing about him.
Lots of great responses about this already. I will say this. If you are looking for the most dynamic D in this draft in terms of just give him the puck and watch him skate and make a play then this is the guy who will get you out of your seat. He’s a joy to watch.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yup seems more and more likely that the intrigue starts at 4 this year. Either Hughes or Zadina should be there, I'd be thrilled with either.

Reactions: RABBIT

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd be okay there, because one of Zadina, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk is probably there. If not Hughes, Bouchard, and Kotkaniemi are interesting picks in their own right.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
My prediction is we trade 5OV to Detroit for 6OV, Franson, and Detroit's 2nd rounder.

We then take a forward at 6OV and draft Merkley with the Detroit pick.

I love this scenerio. I know the uniting brothers thing is overratted, but in this case I think Nick could really help Ryan understand the adjustments he needs to adjust to pro coaches and lifestyle.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I love this scenerio. I know the uniting brothers thing is overratted, but in this case I think Nick could really help Ryan understand the adjustments he needs to adjust to pro coaches and lifestyle.
I don't think they're related. Elite Prospects doesn't list them as siblings.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I wouldn't take Merkley for free. Everything I've heard says he's a total dick head.

I'm also seeing more people who think Bouchard can play next season. Like Chychrun. That's a cheap RD for us.

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hammer
Goligoski - Bouchard

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I hope Chayka does all he can to get the Carolina pick, trading to 3 is pointless unless its dirt cheap and Montreal just wants something
in my perfect world Strome + 5OV for Nicolas Roy + 2OV
add whatever else needs to be added whether its a darling and kuemper switch or it's any prospect not named POJ. Svech would be amazing for this team.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I hope Chayka does all he can to get the Carolina pick, trading to 3 is pointless unless its dirt cheap and Montreal just wants something
in my perfect world Strome + 5OV for Nicolas Roy + 2OV
add whatever else needs to be added whether its a darling and kuemper switch or it's any prospect not named POJ. Svech would be amazing for this team.
Svech would be great, but I think it would cost more than that.

this is an understatement.. i wouldn't even want him at my prospect camp

For me it depends on where in the draft. From the reports, he's just kind of an uncoachable jerk right? That's bad, but he's got 1st round talent, so I'd take him in the 4th for sure, probably in the 3rd. It's different if he's broken the law or something like that, but if he's just a bit of a dick then I'd take a chance on him. Maybe falling in the draft gives him a wake up call. Or he may just matures, he is pretty young after all.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't take Merkley for free. Everything I've heard says he's a total dick head.

I'm also seeing more people who think Bouchard can play next season. Like Chychrun. That's a cheap RD for us.

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hammer
Goligoski - Bouchard
I get that. I’m rolling the dice on a D who I feel is a top 10 talent.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Svech would be great, but I think it would cost more than that.

Yeh you're probably right, I like to get caught in my daydreams sometimes.. just keep hoping Carolina wants a young top 6 center that can play next year and a top 5 pick plus the chance to get out of the darling contract enough to make the move haha

For me it depends on where in the draft. From the reports, he's just kind of an uncoachable jerk right? That's bad, but he's got 1st round talent, so I'd take him in the 4th for sure, probably in the 3rd. It's different if he's broken the law or something like that, but if he's just a bit of a dick then I'd take a chance on him. Maybe falling in the draft gives him a wake up call. Or he may just matures, he is pretty young after all.

I saw Guelph live more than any team this year.. and his talent is top 5 in this draft.. but he ruins plays by trying to do too much constantly and his defence is that of a beerleague player that can barely skate (exaggeration).. his head on and off the ice is mental i've never heard things like i'm hearing about him before. By all means he could turn things around anyone can.. but i doubt it. but we will see

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Galchenyuk is a goal scorer, so perhaps putting him on his offhand/offwing maximizes that.

Having watched him on Montreal a lot, he's kind of like an opposite-handed mini Ovechkin (but when he was younger and floated quite a bit). Hopefully Tocchet can just smack him upside the head until he commits better to defense.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I saw Guelph live more than any team this year.. and his talent is top 5 in this draft.. but he ruins plays by trying to do too much constantly and his defence is that of a beerleague player that can barely skate (exaggeration).. his head on and off the ice is mental i've never heard things like i'm hearing about him before. By all means he could turn things around anyone can.. but i doubt it. but we will see
I haven't looked too deeply into his problems, but from what little I've heard I wouldn't bet on him panning out. However, when he's that talented the possibility of him figuring it out makes him worth selecting with a 4th rounder IMO. At that spot in the draft the risk may be worth the reward. Unfortunately I don't think he lasts that long, and some team is going to regret taking him in the 2nd round, or maybe even late 1st.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I get that. I’m rolling the dice on a D who I feel is a top 10 talent.

It's pretty odd to trade guys away based on being a poor fit personality wise and then draft a total shithead. I don't want the Coyotes to be "that" organization. I'd only draft him if his contrition was unrelenting and unconditional.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's pretty odd to trade guys away based on being a poor fit personality wise and then draft a total ****head. I don't want the Coyotes to be "that" organization. I'd only draft him if his contrition was unrelenting and unconditional.
Most teenagers are dickheads. I was a dickhead. I grew up. Maybe he can as well. Sometimes you just need a little humbling.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Most teenagers are ********s. I was a ********. I grew up. Maybe he can as well. Sometimes you just need a little humbling.

You're justifying something that is not normal in hockey circles. It isn't normal to have the amount of negativity he has managed to accrue. For as much hero worship that goes on here re: professional scouts, suddenly you are willing to look the other way when a guy is likely on various teams' no draft list.

Reactions: IPreferPi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad