GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
McQueen? Spence (he's not 6'3 but he plays like Dustin Brown)
I don't think McQueen and Spence will be in the top 10 next year. Probably only Martone. Hence, if you don't pick size this year, it might slip between their fingers with top-10 picks. While you can compensate with 11-25 picks, it's good to have a Slafkovski/Rantanen/Malkin/Ovechkin with that duality of size and game-breaking talent.

That's what Chicago is staring at:

Hagens
Martone <== him
Ryabkin <== will be 6'1 so not that bad, he's quite 2 way, could be a good 2nd C
Misa <== 6'1 but yeah...
Hensler
Frondell <== will be 6'1 so not that bad
William Moore <== 6'2
Tretheway
Boumedienne
McQueen <==
Spence <==
Wozniak <==
Schaefer
Desnoyers <==
Reschny

Bit of a valley there if they are drafting 3 to 5.

I think they might go for Lindstrom this year and then pick for pure talent next year between Ryabkin, Misa, Frondell or a #1 D in Hensler if Martone is out of the question (looks like #2 right now). Of course they could luck out and get Hagens.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrom

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The funny part is after the combine last year Martineau made a top 10 players that the Habs could draft and Reinbacher wasn't even there.

When he was asked if the Habs could draft him he said no and that he (Reinbacher) was arrogant and a very bad interview.

Talk about sucking at reading the room. Cool that he's there but I'd not expect much from him.
I know he didn't like Reinbacher, but like I said, he goes there to interview people and they are usually interesting interviews. If you want gossip/rumors it's Basu you want there.

Is it the testing is first few days, then interviews usually take place at the end, or vice versa ?
It's never the same thing. 2022 had the testing first, interview after, last year was the opposite.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think McQueen and Spence will be in the top 10 next year. Probably only Martone. Hence, if you don't pick size this year, it might slip between their fingers with top-10 picks. While you can compensate with 11-25 picks, it's good to have a Slafkovski/Rantanen/Malkin/Ovechkin with that duality of size and game-breaking talent.

I personally can't see them taking Lindstrom at 2. I do think its Levshunov, cause if you do the exercise of this year vs next year, there's only Hensler potentially.. but there's Hagens Frondell Ryabkin Martone McQueen Spence.

Reactions: Saxon

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I personally can't see them taking Lindstrom at 2. I do think its Levshunov, cause if you do the exercise of this year vs next year, there's only Hensler potentially.. but there's Hagens Frondell Ryabkin Martone McQueen Spence.

I don't think they need an RHD that badly to take a big risk with Levshunov (with Rinzel upcoming). I'm pretty sure the debate is Demidov vs. Lindstrom. Tretheway (RHD) will probably be a riser next year.

Demidov would be for adding another high IQ forward to benefit Moore and Nazar, PP.
Lindstrom would be Bedard LW.

It's tempting either way. As much as I like Levshunov, he is a significant long term value risk like Sergachev was.

Reactions: jrom

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Lindstrom for me in front of Demidov for multiple factors.

Center > winger. We need top 6 center depth, even if Lindstrom starts on Dach’s wing and can fill up when Dach goes down.

His game is a lot easier to project in the futur. Demidov’s game is spectacular but how much will he be able to translate against real competition?

Size, toughness and skill combo is a big need for the organisation. Even more than just pure skill ala demidov.

The injury factor is a draw since demidov already had two knee injuries on both of them so…

You watch again the playoffs right now and Lindstrom’s type of player thrive in those.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You watch again the playoffs right now and Lindstrom’s type of player thrive in those.
If we base ourselves mostly on the playoffs...and I guess Florida....is there a spot for Caufield in that lineup? Is there a spot for Lane Hutson? Where are we goalie wise? When we start comparing positions...where are we vs Panthers?

Lindstrom will be fine if he happens to be Getzlaf. If he happens to be Connor Geakie...will he? I guess same can be said for Demidov....it's a tougher and more reliable Kucherov? Or is it a Yakupov? Sure. Though Demidov overall game suggest he will be able to convert.

I will always be on the side of is the BPA. And for me (just for me), it's Demidov. Not close. Won,t make Lindstrom a bad pick but still.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think they need an RHD that badly to take a big risk with Levshunov (with Rinzel upcoming). I'm pretty sure the debate is Demidov vs. Lindstrom. Tretheway (RHD) will probably be a riser next year.

Demidov would be for adding another high IQ forward to benefit Moore and Nazar, PP.
Lindstrom would be Bedard LW.

It's tempting either way. As much as I like Levshunov, he is a significant long term value risk like Sergachev was.

We will see what the noise coming out of the combine is, right now everyone connected to the Hawks is saying Demidov vs Levshunov with a slight possibility of Silayev, and some who believe Kyle Davidson loves Dickinson.

I don't know if size is enough of a factor to take a guy with a near 40 game sample size of high level play and then was mired with two injuries for the rest of the year. It's already a risk at 4/5 let alone at 2.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
We will see what the noise coming out of the combine is, right now everyone connected to the Hawks is saying Demidov vs Levshunov with a slight possibility of Silayev, and some who believe Kyle Davidson loves Dickinson.

I don't know if size is enough of a factor to take a guy with a near 40 game sample size of high level play and then was mired with two injuries for the rest of the year. It's already a risk at 4/5 let alone at 2.

Yep, I see the case for Levshunov/Silayev/Dickinson as well - ultimately picking #2 is generally about getting an important player. Demidov is the guy, Davidson will certainly maintain the rumours to disrupt others, see what trade offers he could get for Demidov.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It's a wild world when 2 of the top 3 ranked players on Bobby Mac's poll of scouts can't even make it to the draft combine.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Lindstrom for me in front of Demidov for multiple factors.

Center > winger. We need top 6 center depth, even if Lindstrom starts on Dach’s wing and can fill up when Dach goes down.

His game is a lot easier to project in the futur. Demidov’s game is spectacular but how much will he be able to translate against real competition?

Size, toughness and skill combo is a big need for the organisation. Even more than just pure skill ala demidov.

The injury factor is a draw since demidov already had two knee injuries on both of them so…

Watching these playoffs and seeing how a Panarin (Demidov style of player) vs Kreider (Lindstrom) are performing, I’d tend to agree with you

Reactions: Hannibal

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
ya agreed. MSL too. Theo Fleury. A few other smaller forwards can pull it off and we have a Caufield already. Likelihood though is size
You forgot Patrick Kane.

I don't think there's any trend you can point at, one way or the other, to say Size wins over Skill.

Depends on the Size, depends on the Skill, depends on the player.

I tend to cringe though when I see a slight, skill prospect instantly compared to Panarin or Gaudreau and a gritty, big prospect instantly compared to the latest hot large player -- in this case Kreider. For the small prospect: why not Kucherov (144pts this season, btw), why not Patrick Kane? Wayne Gretzky played a high-IQ game himself. For the big prospect: why not Hugh Jessiman, why not Michael McCarron...? Better to compare both players' best-case or similar-case scenarios. Panarin over Kreider any day btw.

We're so traumatized by the (seemingly endless) shrimp-puff era we've forgotten the real lack we suffered wasn't the size of our players but the fact they were also more intensely under-talented and under-skilled in the first place.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Wake up babe the NHL draft combine starts today
PdiP.gif

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I just started working out for the first time in over two years. Now that my shoulder is healed, I should be good to go.

Maybe I'll go down to the combine and see how I do. I can do at least two pushups now...

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I think Chicago will surprise us with their pick and it won't be Demidov.

What do you make of McCagg saying Levshunov is lying about his age?
Without proof he is an absolute ass clown that should lose any shred of credibility. You can’t throw stuff like that around without proof and call yourself a pro imo

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad