GDT: NHL 2024 Draft Lottery: Tuesday, May 7th, 6:30 pm | ESPN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS, Fubo (live stream with free trial) (Habs pick 5th)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
MOD edit: Teams can move up maximum of 10 spots. It's a count down of all 16 teams that missed playoffs.

Current Draft Order:

16. St. Louis Blues
15. Detroit Red Wings
14. Pittsburgh Penguins (SJS own this pick due to Karlsson trade)
13. Minnesota Wild
12. Philadelphia Flyers
11. Buffalo Sabres
10. New Jersey Devils
9. Calgary Flames
8. Seattle Kraken
7. Ottawa Senators
6. Utah Hockey Club
5. Montreal Canadiens
4. Columbus Blue Jackets
3. Anaheim Ducks
2. Chicago Blackhawks
1. San Jose Sharks

Just excited about the Celebrini sweepstakes. T-minus 3 days until we find out!

I have this horrible gut feeling Chicago or Utah wins 1st Ov.

Last edited by a moderator:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
2 of the last 3 years 1st OA won the lottery and 4 of the last 8 years 1st OA has won.

From '95 to '16 it was just 1 lottery winner a year, 6 times out of 21 1st OA won the lottery.

So 10 of out the last 28 years (1 year there wasn't a draft order, '05) 1st OA stays with the worst team.

From 2016 to 2020 those 5 drafts had 3 lottery picks, and from 2021 to now it's 2 lottery picks. So since 2016 there have been 21 lottery winners but only 5 of them were retaining their spot. That's 24% of the time

Of those 21 winners,

1st OA won - (5) 4 times 1st, OA, 1 time 2nd OA
2nd OA won - (0)
3rd OA won - (4)
2 times 1st OA, 1 time 2nd OA, 1 time 3rd OA
4th OA won - (3) 1 time 2nd OA, 2 times 3rd OA
5th OA won - (2) 1 time 1st OA, 1 time 2nd OA
6th OA won - (2) 2 times 2nd OA
7th OA won - (0)
8th OA won - (2)
1 time 1st OA, 1 time 3rd OA
9th OA won - (0)
10th OA won - (0)

11th OA won - 1 time 2nd OA
12th OA won - 1 time 3rd OA
13th OA won - 1 time 2nd OA

All due respect but none of this matters at all. We know what the odds are and citing a tiny sample size does not change or affirm anything.

Reactions: The Don Hughes

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
They need defenseman more than anything. Not sure they want to build a top 6 of Bedard Demidov Moore Reichel Nazar. That's way too small.
I think Demidov may take a fall out of the top 5 as there are too many unknown variables with him that will make teams nervous about taking him with a really high pick. My prediction is that Montreal will pass on him if/when he falls to us and this place will go nuts again lol.

Totally agree on Chicago passing on him with so many great options at D and a couple of bigger/more physical forwards as well.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Demidov may take a fall out of the top 5 as there are too many unknown variables with him that will make teams nervous about taking him with a really high pick. My prediction is that Montreal will pass on him if/when he falls to us and this place will go nuts again lol.

Totally agree on Chicago passing on him with so many great options at D and a couple of bigger/more physical forwards as well.

By question Mark's, do you mean the main one that he's dominating, but dominating a weak league. So it's hard to project how he will do in the NHL?

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Has the time of the lottery been decided? If so when is it because I can’t find it anywhere

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
By question Mark's, do you mean the main one that he's dominating, but dominating a weak league. So it's hard to project how he will do in the NHL?

Weak league, lack of access, knee injury, and how translatable is his game? The kid is a mystery and that means risk to people making high stake decisions.

I am not saying that the kid can't be great but he is such a strange player stylistically and there is little to no access to him to try and get a better idea of who he is. There is enough to make G.M.'s at the top of the draft nervous enough to look elsewhere and I believe that is exactly what will happen. I think he drops until other top options are gone.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Has the time of the lottery been decided? If so when is it because I can’t find it anywhere

Last I checked they still had not decided a time yet.....weird that they have had the day set for over a week but no time.

It will likely be early evening like 6:30 so that it does not interfere with game broadcasts.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Weak league, lack of access, knee injury, and how translatable is his game? The kid is a mystery and that means risk to people making high stake decisions.

I am not saying that the kid can't be great but he is such a strange player stylistically and there is little to no access to him to try and get a better idea of who he is. There is enough to make G.M.'s at the top of the draft nervous enough to look elsewhere and I believe that is exactly what will happen. I think he drops until other top options are gone.
Montreal has an ace in the hole. Bobrov is Russian and has ties to the Russian leagues. If memory serves me his father is a coach in Russia. But we'll put that aside maybe my memory is playing tricks with me. Every team has at least a European scout and many have either a Russian or Eastern European scout. I know that means you have to rely on the eyes and judgment of solely one person but still the kid is not a total mystery.

Reactions: Runner77

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
My order preference for winning the lottery after us is San Jose, Chicago, Columbus, Anaheim.

I dont want anyone leapfrogging us.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I don't want to make noise. I want to win.

The Stammer is 34 years old. How much term are you going to give him? Two, three maybe four years? What if he asks for more?

Couple that with the fact that Dach has really not proven anything YET and may need a year or two to get to speed. Celebrini may also take a year or two to get going. It's not unreasonable to think that. It happened to our other 1 OA pick. Then there's our defence which needs time to mature. Say another year or two.

So you're wasting the first year or two of Stamkos' contract waiting for our youngsters to mature. Stamkos has had 5 seasons where he was out a substantial amount of time. Two of those seasons were in the last 5 years. What guarantees will we have that a 35 or 36 year old Stamkos can play a full season or play to the level that we are used to?

I'm not saying all the negatives I mentioned will come to pass but the odds are that many of those negatives will occur.
He will ask for more, there's 0 chance he ain't pushing a 6 year deal thinking that maybe after negotiations he lands a 5 year deal.

Maybe 4 years to stay in Tampa or go to an appealing market/contender, if we'd want Stamkos we would most likely have to shell out something like 6y/8.75 per

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
They will win the lottery and jinxes will die forever, I just killed them. Woot Celebrini! Someone I actually saw play - and with Hutson too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad