GDT: NHL 2023 Entry Draft - Day 2/First Round complete, Rounds 2-7 June 29, 2023; 11:00 a.m. Eastern

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Would you have offered Power for montreal or arizonas pick?
I'm too fond of our 1-2 lhd punch but it feels like we could have gotten Michkov if we truly wanted. Arizona and Montreal are completely insane. Going to read through Canadiens draft thread now... :naughty:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not one scouting report had him above 50 besides Button. They could have traded back. Most had him 70+

If he is so great why the large discrepancy with most consensus around 70.
HP had him at 29.

——-

Danny Nelson is my BPA right now. Hoping the Sabres go up and get him.

Also hoping for Brady Cleveland in the 3rd.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Would you have offered Power for montreal or arizonas pick?
I'm too fond of our 1-2 lhd punch but it feels like we could have gotten Michkov if we truly wanted. Arizona and Montreal are completely insane. Going to read through Canadiens draft thread now... :naughty:
There were no trades in the entire first round.

There was no realistic way that the Sabres were moving up into the top 6 to get Michkov.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
There were no trades in the entire first round.

There was no realistic way that the Sabres were moving up into the top 6 to get Michkov.
I just don't get why Arizona and Montreal didn't trade their picks? Maybe 7th overall is representative of Michkovs "front office value" but it's hard for me to comprehend. My understanding of Michkov is that he'll be the guy on your team and at least have Panarin level of impact.

The good thing is that Montreal look like they will never be a threat to us now and Philly is a mess. So it worked out fine for the Sabres.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just don't get why Arizona and Montreal didn't trade their picks? Maybe 7th overall is representative of Michkovs "front office value" but it's hard for me to comprehend. My understanding of Michkov is that he'll be the guy on your team and at least have Panarin level of impact.

The good thing is that Montreal look like they will never be a threat to us now and Philly is a mess. So it worked out fine for the Sabres.
Historically, NHL GMs stick and pick, especially inside the top 10.

It has been 15 years since a team traded back and out of the top 10 for picks.

So, you can be shocked by it, but that is the way the NHL Draft goes.

Reactions: HOOats and Zach716

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Kevyn,

Nice pick with Benson. Please ask him to change his haircut though. We can’t have a generation of kids in WNY with mullets. My son already asked. The answer was no.

There’s lots of talent left. Now would be the time to retain 50% on Victor and get an additional pick. 30 goal scorers at $2.5M is a good deal.

Thanks!

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Guys on watch with the 39th pick Morin, Akey, Strbak, Dragicevic. One of those and its a successful 2nd round.

Last edited:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Hopefully the NHL shut off the free tabs at the Nashville bars for teams. There were a few gm's and staff members looking worse for wear last night. :D

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Something else that we all collectively need to keep in mind:

I don't think I'd get much pushback right now saying that our top 5 forward prospects are, in some order: Benson, Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich and Rosen.

While that looks REALLY shiny and sparkly, especially after what Kulich and Rosen did in the AHL.......it's folly to think that they ALL hit and will ALL be top 6 NHL-caliber players. And a couple from this list will eventually be traded one would think.

Am I worried that none of these guys are over 6 foot? Nope....not all of them will be Sabres. Maybe 3 of them will be, max. And given the size currently in our forward core.....we can handle that.
Add in players like Kozak,Cedarquist,Nadeau and Rousek that's a nice blend of skill size toughness etc.

Reactions: Perry Tegula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad