Next Year (21/22) : Lines/Roster Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Wouldn't mind it if he's cheap... I think he's going to a contender anyway

Bring him back! Before his eye injury and his legs turning to lead the guy was one of the top defensive defensemen in the NHL. He'd be a great partner for Seider to learn from.

Reactions: lilidk

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't mind Staal back. Under $2M.
If he wants more, he's not worth it.
He's been overpaid for years. He can live on a discount.

But I'd rather spend the money on Oleksiak and then a veteran RD like Demers.
Oleksiak on one pairing and Seider on the other sounds good to me.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I don't mind Staal back. Under $2M.
If he wants more, he's not worth it.
He's been overpaid for years. He can live on a discount.

But I'd rather spend the money on Oleksiak and then a veteran RD like Demers.
Oleksiak on one pairing and Seider on the other sounds good to me.

I don't mind the Oleksiak idea but I think Yzerman also looks at people who can skate and pass. Oleksiak is not that great a skater, man. He looks more like a 5/6 Dman than a 2/3/4 guy.

Also I think he's going to look for value. Chris Ilitch isn't as free with money as his dad was. Oleksiak isn't going to be that cheap.

And call me crazy, but I like the idea of carrying McIlrath as our 7th defenseman this year. Maybe let him play forward for a shift or two on the 4th line. I get this feeling we're going to need someone to keep the flies off Seider.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Another thought for LD: What about Eric Gelinas? I know we've kicked that around on the board once in a while, but he looked like an NHL caliber defenseman over in Sweden.

Probably top 10 D in that league this season, had great chemistry with Seider and his skating was pretty good over there. I know Devils fans said he was a liability in the NHL in the past, but what about on a trial basis? Is there some way we could sign him and give him an out clause back to Europe if things aren't working out?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't mind the Oleksiak idea but I think Yzerman also looks at people who can skate and pass. Oleksiak is not that great a skater, man. He looks more like a 5/6 Dman than a 2/3/4 guy.

Also I think he's going to look for value. Chris Ilitch isn't as free with money as his dad was. Oleksiak isn't going to be that cheap.

And call me crazy, but I like the idea of carrying McIlrath as our 7th defenseman this year. Maybe let him play forward for a shift or two on the 4th line. I get this feeling we're going to need someone to keep the flies off Seider.

Oleksiak would be fine with Seider. And if we are only looking at guys who can skate and pass, then why did we ever look at Marc Staal to begin with (or signing him again).

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Oleksiak would be fine with Seider. And if we are only looking at guys who can skate and pass, then why did we ever look at Marc Staal to begin with (or signing him again).

He can still pass with decent accuracy. And the guy is a savvy vet who generally makes good decisions in managing the puck. Staal wasn't terrible this year, all things considered. His biggest issues happened when the opposing team (primarily Chicago and Tampa) keyed in on his lack of speed and beat him wide. I think he'd be fine in a bottom pairing/PK role.

And for what it's worth, the best rushes by our defensemen this year came from Staal the sniper. :sarcasm:

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
How about another trade similar to the Staal trade? Carolina is in need of dumping some salary for signing Svech and Dougie Hamilton, along with needing to sign a goalie for next season. They have lots of money dumped into their defense (Pesce, Skjei, Slavan) and they still would like to sign Hamilton back. The man left standing and who just for some reason hasn't clicked in Carolina is Jake Gardiner. He will be 31 next season and still has some upside when he leaves Carolina. He does have 2 years left at about $8.7M, which we could take on with a sweetener. How about a similar deal as we did with Staal? Offer our Svech (would it help in signing the better one?) for Gardiner and a 2nd rounder. I could see Gardiner playing on the second pairing or third pairing at worst. All we are taking on is salary but gaining a valuable pick again.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
How about another trade similar to the Staal trade? Carolina is in need of dumping some salary for signing Svech and Dougie Hamilton, along with needing to sign a goalie for next season. They have lots of money dumped into their defense (Pesce, Skjei, Slavan) and they still would like to sign Hamilton back. The man left standing and who just for some reason hasn't clicked in Carolina is Jake Gardiner. He will be 31 next season and still has some upside when he leaves Carolina. He does have 2 years left at about $8.7M, which we could take on with a sweetener. How about a similar deal as we did with Staal? Offer our Svech (would it help in signing the better one?) for Gardiner and a 2nd rounder. I could see Gardiner playing on the second pairing or third pairing at worst. All we are taking on is salary but gaining a valuable pick again.

Gardiner is bad defensively. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get picked up in the expansion draft. In fact, Carolina could offer a 3rd or 4th to ensure that Seattle picks him.

In a non expansion draft year it's probably a good idea though.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What whoud it take to get Warenski out Columbus. I expect they going to go in full rebuild. If he really wants out and he likes to go to Detroit.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
What whoud it take to get Warenski out Columbus. I expect they going to go in full rebuild. If he really wants out and he likes to go to Detroit.

Wait until he's UFA. Or maybe trade them a player we don't expect to be in our plans long term + a prospect + a pick.

I don't think that Kekkalainen will give him away to us. He's a pretty astute GM. I think that Werenski is a deadline deal to another team in 2022.

Zachary Werenski - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

His status is RFA, not UFA. It'll cost us.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

If we're looking to poach someone ahead of the expansion draft/summer signings, I'd target Ryan Graves or Toews out of Colorado. One of them looks like the odd-man out in the expansion draft and would be an immediate upgrade for us. Draft wise it means we would just have to expose either Cholowski or Lindstrom. Graves really looks like an Yzerman guy from Tampa.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
If we're looking to poach someone ahead of the expansion draft/summer signings, I'd target Ryan Graves or Toews out of Colorado. One of them looks like the odd-man out in the expansion draft and would be an immediate upgrade for us. Draft wise it means we would just have to expose either Cholowski or Lindstrom. Graves really looks like an Yzerman guy from Tampa.

I would love Toews but he's either in Seattle next year or Sakic pays Ron Francis a pick to take someone else. He has been tremendous this year for Colorado.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would love Toews but he's either in Seattle next year or Sakic pays Ron Francis a pick to take someone else. He has been tremendous this year for Colorado.

Then it's probably going to be Graves exposed. Considering they have Toews, Girard, and Byram coming up on the left side, I can't imagine Sakic will pay much to convince Francis to not take Graves, especially if he could get a pick or something back instead of giving one up, while also freeing up that $3m in cap space for this summer.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Then it's probably going to be Graves exposed. Considering they have Toews, Girard, and Byram coming up on the left side, I can't imagine Sakic will pay much to convince Francis to not take Graves, especially if he could get a pick or something back instead of giving one up, while also freeing up that $3m in cap space for this summer.
What pick did you have in mind, (COL) 4th back to Avs? Something different?

Graves turns 26 tomorrow. However, he only has 149gp career, so maybe there's more upside still? 6'5", 220lbs LD. Would you consider him to be a #4? (on most teams)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What pick did you have in mind, (COL) 4th back to Avs? Something different?

Graves turns 26 tomorrow. However, he only has 149gp career, so maybe there's more upside still? 6'5", 220lbs LD. Would you consider him to be a #4? (on most teams)

Yeah, like a 4th or something low. Anything higher and I'd sorta want something back, like Graves+5th for a 3rd, or something. I think Graves just is what he is. A big, dependable guy who can eat 19+ minutes a game and hold down a prominent PK slot.

We know he can fit in with a skilled, high pace team. 26 is young enough to be around for quite awhile, and he's signed pretty affordably for a few more seasons, and I think he'd be easy to move should we need to. Put another way, I like dealing a mid-low round pick for him more than I do gambling on trying to sign a better LD in free agency.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Giordano may not be protected by Flames in Expansion Draft

I had a feelilng Gio would be exposed at his age/salary. Kraken would be wise to grab him for 1 yr of mentorship & still a Top4 Dman.

I wouldn't mind if we acquired him for dirt cheap as a mentor. Anyone know how much he has left in the tank?

Probably 2 or 3 seasons left. He wasn't the problem in Calgary this year. They'd have to be total shitheads to let him go.

Former Norris winner. Messier winner. Lead the league in +/- one season. Almost 1000 games with 1 franchise (The Flames). Captain for the last 8 seasons. 10 total in the league wearing a letter.

Calgary needs to get rid of inconsistent performers before they get rid of Giordano, even if he's in the twilight of his career. Call me a sap, but I'd like to see the guy retire having played his career with 1 team.

Reactions: Winger98

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Was gonna come here and mention Giordano.

I'd love him to mentor Seider. Don't think the team would be willing to pay him nearly $7M, though.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Probably 2 or 3 seasons left. He wasn't the problem in Calgary this year. They'd have to be total shitheads to let him go.

Former Norris winner. Messier winner. Lead the league in +/- one season. Almost 1000 games with 1 franchise (The Flames). Captain for the last 8 seasons. 10 total in the league wearing a letter.

Calgary needs to get rid of inconsistent performers before they get rid of Giordano, even if he's in the twilight of his career. Call me a sap, but I'd like to see the guy retire having played his career with 1 team.

74pts/78gp in his Age 35-36 season is F******g :scared: (as a Dman!!) They weren't a top5 team either.

I'd like to see him finish his career on his terms, wherever that may be. For instance, if he wants to mentor Seider/Hronek/Lindstrom over the next 2 yrs :naughty: 'til Werenski signs here.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
74pts/78gp in his Age 35-36 season is F******g :scared: (as a Dman!!) They weren't a top5 team either.

I'd like to see him finish his career on his terms, wherever that may be. For instance, if he wants to mentor Seider/Hronek/Lindstrom over the next 2 yrs :naughty: 'til Werenski signs here.

We're going to be waiting a while for Werenski, my dude. He's an RFA after 2022, not UFA.

I've been a huge Giordano fan and thought the guy was terribly underrated his whole career and as awesome as it would be to have a defenseman of Giordano's caliber mentor Seider, I just don't think it'll happen.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
We're going to be waiting a while for Werenski, my dude. He's an RFA after 2022, not UFA.

I've been a huge Giordano fan and thought the guy was terribly underrated his whole career and as awesome as it would be to have a defenseman of Giordano's caliber mentor Seider, I just don't think it'll happen.
Werenski is a UFA in 2023 that's only 2 years away. He has 1 more RFA season after next season. That's not far away. 2 years is pretty quick and we can wait if he truly wants to come home to Detroit.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

I hope we get Werenski eventually as well, but I don't want to unload assets to get him. A Werenski trade starts with our 2021 first rounder. Then they would like a top prospect (Veleno/Berggren), then they would want more picks, and probably a young roster player.

I would not want to do something like:
-2021 1st
-Joe Veleno
-Michael Rasmussen
-2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad