Next season our likely top 4 -> Hoff/Myers/Pysyk/Risto. How would you pair them up?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Barring trades and/or free agent signings I expect Hoff, Myers, Pysyk and Risto to make up our top 4 next year.

With that being a likely scenario how would you pair them up? and why?

I'm thinking……

Hoff/Risto --> It puts the seasoned vet with the youngster

Pysyk/Myers ---> from all reports out of Rochester, Pysyk has become a rock down there playing heavy minutes. Quick outlet passes and strong play in his zone. The offense hasn't quite come along as much as hoped but thats where Myers would come in. Playing with Pysyk would allow Myers do his thing flying up the ice and going on the attack.

Thoughts

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Probably how you have it. Ehrhoff is the obvious righty to play the left side as it'd been his preference in the past. The minutes would likely be split pretty evenly at even strength as Nolan doesn't do much matching and they're likely to be of similar caliber.

Slightly off topic but I'd like to see that Ehrhoff-Risto pair also be the top PP backend.

Edit: got myself mixed up with Ehrhoff, he's a lefty who used to play on the right side of course

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Good pairings, but we'll have to see what happens in FA and if they try to get someone in here who can keep one or both of Risto and Pysyk on the farm.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but will Pysyk and Risto be waiver-exempt for a certain number of games next season? If so, I'd be in favor of rotating them between Rochester and Buffalo, with each taking the right side of the 1st/2nd pairing. Once one of them is waiver eligible (I'm assuming Pysyk would be first), then keep Pysyk up and keep Risto in Rochester until toward the end of the season maybe.

If the above is true, I would prefer re-signing Tallinder for one year and going with...

Ehrhoff-Myers
Tallinder-Ristolainen

or

Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Tallinder-Myers

Weber-McBain/Ruhwedel would be 3rd pair

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If they are strict with LHD/RHD pairs, that isn't the top 4 next season.

I could see Hank being back and it's Ehrhoff/Ristolainen & Tallinder/Myers.

It will be interesting to see if they bring in an outside guy like Willie Mitchell (LGT!) or Brooks Orpik instead to re-signing Tallinder.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't think they take any of the RHD off the right side. I expect the top four will be Ehrhoff, Myers, Pysyk, and either Weber or a vet (Tallinder maybe), with Risto and Ru fighting for the last RHD spot and Zaradov (would have to make the team out of camp), Weber, or some low-level veteran Nolan Pratt type filling out the left side. Then McPain as the 7th dman. I could also see them flipping McBain for a similar ability LHD man to a team with a surplus on the left side, since RHD are usually in need.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If they are strict with LHD/RHD pairs, that isn't the top 4 next season.

I could see Hank being back and it's Ehrhoff/Ristolainen & Tallinder/Myers.

It will be interesting to see if they bring in an outside guy like Willie Mitchell (LGT!) or Brooks Orpik instead to re-signing Tallinder.

The house hockey left/right coach isn't here any more.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I like the OP's pairings..that's what I was thinking

Of course it would be nice to have Weber and McBain as the 3rd pairing - much needed for the tank!

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I'd like Pysyk to be paired with someone who is not a puck possession guy. The reason is simply that it would "force" Pysyk to take more responsibility with the puck, so he can develop that side of his game. So Ehrhoff or Myers isn't the ideal partner.

With Pysyk I think it's about does he become a good two-way guy, who can contribute on the both sides of the ice. Or is he becoming "just" a non-stay-at-home shut-down d-man.

I still think he has offensive upside just like Sekera had.

It's highly possible that Risto is leapfrogging Pysyk next season.

So...

vet signing (Nikitin or Fayne type of player) - Myers
Ehrhoff - Ristolainen
Weber - Pysyk
McBain

McCabe being recalled when he is showing he is dominating the A. Same goes with Ruh.

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

I'd like for them to sign a vet UFA guy. Morris,Fayne,Nikitin and all would be solid signings.

If we dont sign any of them I agree with OP's pairings

Babalooch

Apr 10, 2011
Listening to Cassidy on WGR...it sounds like Pysyk is a lot further along in terms of puck movement, offense, and having a general calming/confidence building influence on the entire team, than we may realize.

Also, Zadarov. That's it. Zadarov. Trying to move past him is like trying to erase Zadarov from this post. :) Not gonna happen.

Frankly, IMO there's a better chance of this:
Erhoff/Risto (with Myers and Risto interchangable)
Zad/Myers
McCabe/Pysyk
Weber (who I'd keep over Ruh, as the vet/vocal leader, and probably play over McCabe until he was ready, etc.)
than anything else. Yeah, it's a little scary, but, I think Risto/Zad/Pysyk are all "over the hump" already, and we'll see that clearly in the pre-season.

You really want to keep Hank for a while/plan on injuries? Ok. But I've been done with McBain, and keep Sulzer and Ruh as the callups.

I could be wrong, but again, in terms of %s? I think this has the most chance. Seriously, how much more is McCabe going to learn in the AHL? How about after 20 games? 40?

We aren't going to ruin any of these guys with this, and, for the tankers, come on, we have a bunch of young guys here, who will get scored on enough to meet your goals.

I don't see why/how guys who can play in the NHL, learn more by not playing in it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If Murray thinks the team will stink in 14-15 and be a team that is fighting for 8th in 15-16, it will be interesting to see if he shelters the kids from the losing next season.

Zadorov back to London
Ristolainen & Pysyk back to Rochester
McCabe to Rochester

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I don't see the team fooling around with Zadorov next season. He gets his 9 games and unless he looks like a Calder contender he goes back down. I don't think it's in managements makeup to risk him going into a mid season slump with no way to recover and no other option. CHL rules and no rush will keep him in the minors 1 more year.

You don't keep Risto, Pysyk, McCabe, and Zadorov here because you've effectively wasted 2 25 min all situation positions by forcing 2 players who could be using them in the AHL to play third pairing minutes in the NHL. You stock up Rochester in the offseason and put Ruhwedel and McCabe as the top pairing. Send that team 3 rounds deep into the playoffs. It's a waste having 20 yr olds sitting on the bench when they could be ice hogs on the top PP and PK units in Roc.

Hoff and Risto
Myers and Pysyk
Weber and Random Scrub
Other random scrub

It's about giving 20 year olds as much ice as they can physically handle and you can't do that if 4 guys are competing for 2 spots. And you certainly can't give anyone in Buffalo a playoff run. I'd love to see Risto stay in Roc for most of next season as well. We don't need them here, Rochester can give them a shot at seeing a long glorious playoff run. If all goes well maybe long glorious back to back playoff runs.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I think Risto and Pysyk should both start in Rochester and when someone on this team made of paper mache gets hurt call them up. So my lines are.

Myers-Tallinder
Ehrhoff-Ruhwedel
Weber McBain
Sulzer.

I think Sulzer comes back at the vet minimum and Tallinder and McBain meet a cold market and resign. I'm also for trading McBain for a prospect who needs a change of scenery and filling him in with a vet stop gap.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Regarding Ristolainen and Pysyk, who I agree are Top 4 next year (more so with Risto). Playoff experience is very valuable, and they may get that this year. That said, the idea of giving developing players impact minutes in Rochester is great, but if I'm not mistaken Ristolainen has played 20-25 minutes a night with Ehrhoff and in every situation in this latest call-up. He's getting big minutes in the NHL, and against NHL competition, and he's looked excellent IMO. If he doesn't NEED to play in Rochester anymore, then you don't just send him there to send him there. You take each player individually and make a decision, and to me, Ristolainen looks like an NHL D-man. Unless he falters early next year, in camp or in October, he looks NHL ready. For all developing players, it all comes down to where they're going to develop best.

With Pysyk, same thing in terms of development. If he still needs AHL time to work on his game, maybe his offensive aggressiveness, fine. But if not, you don't just send him there to send him in the name of being patient. Yes, patience is what we should practice, but there comes a time when you stagnate development by keeping a player down when they really need to grow at a higher level, all in the name of patience. No, you absolutely don't rush a player, and I will agree that if you err, you err on the side of caution. But that shouldn't preclude you from making a command decision if warranted. If they're ready, they're ready, even on a "developing" (crappy?) team like the Sabres. If they're not, they're not. To me, Ristolainen is done in the AHL after this year. Pysyk also looks like he's ready, but I can see him starting in Rochester next year.

Opinions may vary on each individual player's readiness, and that's fine, but I don't think you just default a guy to a lower league in the name of patience without making an individual analysis. This also applies to Zadorov. I'm all for another year of juniors, but I haven't seen him play. He may very well be ready to make the leap. His play needs to be analyzed from this year, into camp next year, and for the first nine games. He may be ready and another year of juniors won't help him. Maybe not. But don't just throw him back by default. It's not NECESSARILY the right way to go. Sorry for the long post (though I didn't even get into starting the process of chemistry development among our up and coming D corps :)).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It seems that outside of PP, Nolan has been sticking with LHD/RHD most of the time, right?

Not necessarily, though injuries may have forced him into that a bit. Anyway, I'd put Pysyk with Myers (give Tyler the smart, smooth-skating D-first partner I think he needs to excel) and put Risto with Ehrhoff. Let Hoff be the vet there to help cover Risto's rookie mistakes. Or even slide RR in on the bottom pairing with Weber and let him play heavily sheltered minutes until his play really demands that he sees more minutes.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I am perfectly fine with the top 4....I do believe Zads is on the team next year.

they likely resign Talinder on a 1 yr deal.

McBain gets traded

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I am perfectly fine with the top 4....I do believe Zads is on the team next year.

they likely resign Talinder on a 1 yr deal.

McBain gets traded

I think Zadorov gets his 9 games but is sent down for another year. The same thing the Blues did with Pietrangelo.

Of course, that would make him ineligible for the Calder the following year...:laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It seems that outside of PP, Nolan has been sticking with LHD/RHD most of the time, right?

You brought up the previous desire to stick with the STRICT LD/RD setup. That was a Rolston obsession. Wanting to have LD/RD is one thing. Trying to ensure LD/RD at all times is another. So with that in mind, If Myers, Pysyk and Risto are all on the roster and no one is signed in free agency or acquired via trade. Then all 4 of them are going to be in the top 4 and one of them is going to have to move to the left side. One of them is not going to get demoted to the 3rd pairing for the sake of LD/RD. Obviously if someone is brought in that would change things.

Last edited:

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I think you only have one of Pysyk or Risto in the top4 with the 4th spot filled by a signed vet either Tallinder or similar signing. The one not in top4 goes back to Roch and is an injury call up.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think you only have one of Pysyk or Risto in the top4 with the 4th spot filled by a signed vet either Tallinder or similar signing. The one not in top4 goes back to Roch and is an injury call up.

That certainly could happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad