Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

So seems like Holland out as GM? “Role in Edmonton if he wants it” doesn’t exactly suggest he’s going to be in charge. Not a lot of time to find a new president of hockey ops/GM. Buyout window begins Thursday, draft Friday and then free agency on Monday.

Hopefully Jackson has been putting things in order behind the scenes and just didn’t want to distract from the playoff run.

Lots of decisions to be made regarding Drai, Campbell, free agency etc.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if Holland takes over for Lowe and Lowe steps back a bit further.

As far as the next GM, I couldn't possibly say. Does Jackson have anyone on a short list based on people he's worked with before?

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I wonder if Holland takes over for Lowe and Lowe steps back a bit further.

As far as the next GM, I couldn't possibly say. Does Jackson have anyone on a short list based on people he's worked with before?
I have a hard time believing they just realized Holland's contract is out and they're now scrambling to look for a guy to take over the draft and free agency in the next couple days.

They have a big team and Holland being part of it or not doesn't make too much of a difference. It won't be the first time the auxiliary guys run the draft for this club either.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have a hard time believing they just realized Holland's contract is out and they're now scrambling to look for a guy to take over the draft and free agency in the next couple days.

They have a big team and Holland being part of it or not doesn't make too much of a difference. It won't be the first time the auxiliary guys run the draft for this club either.
Yeah I agree completely, they've been working this for a while, the run puts them in a tough-ish spot, because you don't really want to do the announcements before things are settled with the team on the ice.

I thought Lowe was retired and just a was a community ambassador or something now?
You might be right, I can't remember if he did or not.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Decision should have been made a while ago. Some has to be in charge with the GM's contract set to expire and nothing discussed.

They have just a 2nd rounder, then a 5th and two in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Not exactly a treasure-trove of draft capital to work with for whomever is in charge.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Decision should have been made a while ago. Some has to be in charge with the GM's contract set to expire and nothing discussed.

They have just a 2nd rounder, then a 5th and two in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Not exactly a treasure-trove of draft capital to work with for whomever is in charge.
The groups usually have their entire draft list solidified months in advance. Calling the available names off a sheet and going home would bring just as much % chance of success as stewing and debating late round draft pick potential.

Unless of course we can use them to move out some salary. That's something I would like to see done somehow. Not sure if anyone's in place to make those calls though. Jackson himself.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Have to think they have this mostly figured out by now.
You’d think. I’m just curious how it all shakes out.

I’m not enamoured with the idea that was tossed around earlier in the year that it would be Coffey put in charge after he spent the season as assistant coach getting a handle on the players. Would feel like a major legacy nepo hire. Although to be fair he did much better as a coach than I was expecting.

Reactions: Shizuka

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

They aren’t scrambling. Rick Praceys been here for awhile. And I’m certain that when Wright was fired a conversation was had about how the drafting hasn’t been good enough and Pracey would be taking the reigns moving forward.

Reactions: cruisecity

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The groups usually have their entire draft list solidified months in advance. Calling the available names off a sheet and going home would bring just as much % chance of success as stewing and debating late round draft pick potential.

Unless of course we can use them to move out some salary. That's something I would like to see done somehow. Not sure if anyone's in place to make those calls though. Jackson himself.
Walman for $3.4 mill for 2 seasons went at a cost of a 2nd. But, skaters you can drop down the lineup. Goalie either plays or does not.

I don't know whether they can move out contracts. Nurse, really can't see it happening. Ceci, yes. Campbell, again, can't hide a goalie. Kane? Not with his history. Not suitable for a rebuilding club who would have cap space...

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Walman for $3.4 mill for 2 seasons went at a cost of a 2nd. But, skaters you can drop down the lineup. Goalie either plays or does not.

I don't know whether they can move out contracts. Nurse, really can't see it happening. Ceci, yes. Campbell, again, can't hide a goalie. Kane? Not with his history. Not suitable for a rebuilding club who would have cap space...
It's unfortunate because a few of those guys like Campbell and Kane should be on the brink of Robidas Island. Mental health, severe wrist and other injuries for Kane. A Vegas shrewd level club would've got rid of both of these guys salaries one way or another.

I may be dreaming but I think we rid ourselves of two of the four big ones (Nurse, Campbell, Kane, Ceci).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's unfortunate because a few of those guys like Campbell and Kane should be on the brink of Robidas Island. Mental health, severe wrist and other injuries for Kane. A Vegas shrewd level club would've got rid of both of these guys salaries one way or another.

I may be dreaming but I think we rid ourselves of two of the four big ones (Nurse, Campbell, Kane, Ceci).
Ceci has 1 year and no protection. I can see that happening. Kane, too much baggage for a young team. Wouldn't want him around a Cellibrini, Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson/Zegras, etc.

Campbell, just hard to see it occuring. Would a 2025 first and the 2024 2nd be enough for the 3 years $5 mill AAV but $4.5 mill AAV in real money?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The only name I saw anywhere was Mark Hunter and that was in a one off article that someone on here posted weeks ago and seemed pretty speculative.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Holland's role would probably be a special advisor, but I recall hearing that he might have similar offers from other organizations, including Detroit.

Regarding the next GM, I'm pasting my thoughts from the other thread here-
I'm starting to wonder how big the role of the new GM will actually be, since the Oilers have made some significant long term decisions the last few years. Knoblauch got a three year deal, and Jackson also hired a director of analytics and a new scouting director. Now Seravalli has been talking about "the organization" already working on deals for Janmark and Draisaitl. That begs the question of who exactly is doing all of this?

I'm feeling more and more like Jackson will be involved in all big decisions, and the new GM is isn't going to be in charge the way Holland or Chiarelli were previously. Jackson is far more involved than Nicholson was. This setup feels more like Calgary under Treiliving and Burke, or Toronto with Shanahan/Dubas. The GM will do the day to day work and have some transactional autonomy, but bigger picture issues and organizational hires will ultimately be Jackson's call.

That probably impacts who we will be able to hire. A lot of GM candidates want total autonomy over their hockey ops department. Coming into a team where you can't pick your coaching staff, scouting director, assistant GMs, etc, is a different animal. I wonder if either Brad Holland or Gretzky get a bump into the GM's chair this week. The other option would be someone that Jackson has a strong personal relationship with, and who he may have been quietly engaging with for a while now (e.g. Dave Gagner).

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You’d think. I’m just curious how it all shakes out.

I’m not enamoured with the idea that was tossed around earlier in the year that it would be Coffey put in charge after he spent the season as assistant coach getting a handle on the players. Would feel like a major legacy nepo hire. Although to be fair he did much better as a coach than I was expecting.
I do think Coffey is going to be in management next season. I’m not convinced he will be the GM though. His named seemed to be attached to everything before he became the assistant coach. Assistant GM maybe?

As other posters have pointed out, it doesn’t look like the next GM will have full autonomy. Which leads me to believe the GM will be
A - an in house hire (Holland jr, Gretz, Coffey etc)
B - a GM breaking into the league.

Either way I think it will be more of a group approach. I’m sure Jeff will have his hands in anything salary related.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Whoever the next GM is, have to trust Jackson to make that call. Jackson promised us best in the class, and I think he’s on his way to delivering.

Knob - Great hire
Mumford - Great hire, best in class stuff for sure
Pracey - we shall see
Parkatti - more analytics the better, sounds like he knows his shit
That new player development guy - heard Friedman saying lots around the league thought this was a major addition

Jackson now also rightfully seeing that GM Holland could be upgraded on. While ALSO realizing that he brings a lot of value to the table and we’d be best served to keep him.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Wouldn't be surprised if Jackson builds a management team structure inclusive of a senior advisor type which would make sense with Holland. It sounds like Jackson and Holland worked well together through this transition and that there is longstanding respect going back to GM and Player Agent interactions.

Saravalli spitballed some loose idea of Stan Bowman consideration but wet blanked it with reality that Bowman has not been approved to return to the league.

This is the most critical point in the franchise's history (similar to getting the organization back on the rails post-Chiarelli recovery), so I feel without question it will be an outsider with strong agency or hockey management experience, who is then surrounded by deep and varied benchstrength. Long shot guys or younger types might be like a Brian Lawton or Mike Gillis.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is the most critical point in the franchise's history (similar to getting the organization back on the rails post-Chiarelli recovery), so I feel without question it will be an outsider with strong agency or hockey management experience, who is then surrounded by deep and varied benchstrength. Long shot guys or younger types might be like a Brian Lawton or Mike Gillis.
Gillis at this point is like a year younger than Holland I think. He'd rather be President but with the freedom to build out the front office. Basically do Jackson's role.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Gillis at this point is like a year younger than Holland I think. He'd rather be President but with the freedom to build out the front office. Basically do Jackson's role.
Yup, highly unlikely. Gillis isn't getting a President of Hockey Ops job anywhere. Was allegedly in the mix for Seattle but no bueno. The two have a relationship and I think they share many philosophies about organization building and structure. Edmonton would be a means to get back in the game and maybe position for a future President of Hockey Ops job. But age and temperament reinforces longshot as I randomly threw out. I meant younger types like agency and hockey ops experience like Jackson and Gillis.

Jason Botterill was a guy I've mentioned before as solid, developing management type who's hand some direct experience in dysfunctional Buffalo but also very solid mentorship under Jim Rutherford and Ron Francis. U Michigan MBA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad