Next General Manager candidates?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I want Gillis back too like many others but i got a feeling Benning probably has 1 more coach in his GM reign before he gets fired. Also its pretty unlikely Gillis comes back unless there's new ownership given how "hands on" it sounded like things got near the end (tortorella and how our goalie situation was handled). Honestly MG was going in the right direction until Boston happened and how involved ownership seems to have gotten after that. Its really too bad because we had a good thing going and players actually wanted to sign here.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Although I quite liked Gillis it's easy to forget how terrible he was with certain things. I didn't think his firing at the time was just but doesn't mean I'd take him back.

Futa and Gilman are 2 that I'd be very pleased with. Really though virtually our whole scouting staff should be canned and the team needs to change ownership.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Bring in a smart, well respected hockey guy like Futa for the GM position. And also hire some young blood comparable to Chayka/Dubas as assistant GM.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
At this point I'm not going to take anyone's word about Futa. Did that with Benning and that was a huge mistake. I could tell by his first set of transactions that he is a moron.

Hopefully Futa is good and we could get him, but I'll reserve judgement until I see and hear more from him.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Honestly MG was going in the right direction until Boston happened and how involved ownership seems to have gotten after that. Its really too bad because we had a good thing going and players actually wanted to sign here.

Also IIRC Botchford reported that Gillis pitched a retool/rebuild in 2013 and then was let go.

Really would have been interested to see how that would have played out.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
It takes a team to win the Cup. The point is Price was/is a HUGE difference maker for the Habs.

Nope. Check again.
And ultimately still fell short. We've had enough "difference makers" that don't win.

If we had Schneider, we'd still be missing the playoffs.

And you forget how Schneider was in net when we were swept by SJ

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Although I quite liked Gillis it's easy to forget how terrible he was with certain things. I didn't think his firing at the time was just but doesn't mean I'd take him back.

Futa and Gilman are 2 that I'd be very pleased with. Really though virtually our whole scouting staff should be canned and the team needs to change ownership.

Yeah, Gillis definitely had his faults. I would've given him another year or two to see if he could get the Canucks going in the right direction for a rebuild, but I don't know that his firing was indefensible (though I have trouble blaming Tortorella on him) or that I'd necessarily want him back.

All that said, when you have to witness such incompetence, it's hard not to pine for the days of when the Canucks had intelligent management. Hell, this group makes me miss Nonis, which is something I wouldn't have thought I'd ever say.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I understand why Gillis comes up because it puts things in perspective for people who are microanalyzing certain faults and trades that weren't necessarily the best or cap space that was wasted. That being said, it has been a long time, so I don't see why this thread and others are always about Gillis. He didn't really have that huge of a body of work to talk about for the amount of time that he was here, so how are we still talking about his moves all day every day?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad