Next CBA - potentially shortened draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Per 32 thoughts Friedman brings up how he's heard agents and maybe NHLPA that they may want to shorten the draft to 4 rounds, as most players that aren't signed aren't high picks.

Sounds like if you're not drafted you're automatically a free agent and can sign with your team of choice.

Why tie up a player's rights for 2-4 years just for them to go unsigned anyways. That seems like part of the reason to shorten the draft.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lawyers gonna lawyer.
It’s not incorrect in the sense that it is what happens with a number of late round picks. But it’s not like it’s almost every pick. We see some guys get their ELC contracts terminated.

But it would also force teams to be more cognizant of their draft management. There would be less assets to trade, which makes trades harder, and the nature of a shorter draft would force teams to make harder decisions and not do things like make it someone’s turn to make a pick.

But it would also change the scope of what players get drafted. If you have transfer agreements that states how long you have the rights of a draft pick, which would seem to make more beneficial to use the picks on European and American college players and hurt the major junior teams, which they have more access too.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
It’s not incorrect in the sense that it is what happens with a number of late round picks. But it’s not like it’s almost every pick. We see some guys get their ELC contracts terminated.

But it would also force teams to be more cognizant of their draft management. There would be less assets to trade, which makes trades harder, and the nature of a shorter draft would force teams to make harder decisions and not do things like make it someone’s turn to make a pick.

But it would also change the scope of what players get drafted. If you have transfer agreements that states how long you have the rights of a draft pick, which would seem to make more beneficial to use the picks on European and American college players and hurt the major junior teams, which they have more access too.
I think it opens a whole can of worms.

Fewer draft picks means a greater premium paid to those picks eventually. I see a reduction in picks as a vehicle to raise the ELC wage AND reduce the money to those undrafted free agents.

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
Should bump the draft age to 19 as well. It sucks for the generational talents like Bedard/McDavid to miss out on an NHL season but those players are rare.

One more year of evaluation and development should in theory make the draft process better.

Matthews would still make the cut off if draft age was 19 (late birthday meant he turned 19 in his draft year).

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Could probably drop it down to three tbh. But I guess it's nice to have throw away picks that people can put in their trade proposals for no reason.

2023-24 NHL players by draft round.
ROUND1+ GP40+ GP
1ST350272
2ND184110
3RD10860
4TH8052
5TH5831
6TH5025
7TH3519
UNDRAFTED15776

Reactions: varsaku and yianik

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Should bump the draft age to 19 as well. It sucks for the generational talents like Bedard/McDavid to miss out on an NHL season but those players are rare.

One more year of evaluation and development should in theory make the draft process better.

Matthews would still make the cut off if draft age was 19 (late birthday meant he turned 19 in his draft year).
The NHL lost this legal battle in the 70s.

If you push draft older than 18 guys can just sign at 18.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I really dislike this. For one, I am a fan of a big market team but this is going to massively benefit teams with robust scouting and popular markets who will be able to fill their prospect pool with promising talent, especially those coming from over seas and Russia.

Re raising the draft age, I also hate that. Tell me that McDavid shouldn't have been in the NHL until he was 19. Nonsense.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
There used to be a poster who would propose every year that the prospects/agents would want to extend the draft back to 9+ rounds. I tried to tell him that they'd want it shortened if anything but he was incredulous. He thought a prospect would have more pride in being a 9th round pick than being an undrafted free agent with his choice in teams potentially.

With the draft becoming decentralized, keeping it at seven rounds isn't as as rough. In the current format, a lot of teams start packing up by the sixth so they can get to the airport in a couple hours.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
It was part of the WHA era lawsuit. And it was a Canadian court that rendered the decision. And it's why the NHL moved the draft age down to 18.

Preventing 18 year olds from selling their services was found to be illegal.

so how come my favourite NHL team couldn't sign Auston Matthews when he was 18 years old playing in the Swiss league???

Or Taylor Hall? Or John Tavares?

link something concrete, cause it sounds like you're misremembering.

Every few years the NHL brings the draft age change into conversation. The league wouldn't discuss it if it were not possible. Its the NHLPA that pushes back because obviously the union don't want future members denied the opportunity to play in the NHL sooner.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I really dislike this. For one, I am a fan of a big market team but this is going to massively benefit teams with robust scouting and popular markets who will be able to fill their prospect pool with promising talent, especially those coming from over seas and Russia.

Re raising the draft age, I also hate that. Tell me that McDavid shouldn't have been in the NHL until he was 19. Nonsense.
Correct. The teams who can spend a ton on development will draw all the top prospects remaining. If your club has had a bad record of development, and doesn't spend on it, why would a player sign with them? You can't have infinite expansion, and decreasing parity.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Is there data out there on percentage signed to ELCs by draft round (not nhl games played, just signed to an nhl contract at some point). Probably 100% less guys that died or had career ending injuries for first round picks, but curious how it looks for rounds 4-7.

Separately, this most recent season 70.6 % of players this most recent season were drafted in rounds 1-4 and 15.4 % were undrafted. So the percent of undrafted players could be expected to almost double.

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
Correct. The teams who can spend a ton on development will draw all the top prospects remaining. If your club has had a bad record of development, and doesn't spend on it, why would a player sign with them? You can't have infinite expansion, and decreasing parity.

Nah, teams are still capped at 50 contracts. Can't mindlessly hoard all the undrafted players.

Players who go undrafted will gravitate to the teams that provide the best opportunity (spot in the line-up). Its the logical thing to do.

Justin Schultz left the Anaheim Ducks (team with a good record of developing defensemen) because he would be stuck behind Anaheim's defensive depth.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
It was part of the WHA era lawsuit. And it was a Canadian court that rendered the decision. And it's why the NHL moved the draft age down to 18.

Preventing 18 year olds from selling their services was found to be illegal.
And yet the NBA does it every year…an NBA which includes a Canadian team and Canadian citizens…

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Could probably drop it down to three tbh. But I guess it's nice to have throw away picks that people can put in their trade proposals for no reason.

2023-24 NHL players by draft round.
ROUND1+ GP40+ GP
1ST350272
2ND184110
3RD10860
4TH8052
5TH5831
6TH5025
7TH3519
UNDRAFTED15776
Isn’t going back one year in time basically useless for an 18 year old draft.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
so how come my favourite NHL team couldn't sign Auston Matthews when he was 18 years old playing in the Swiss league???

Or Taylor Hall? Or John Tavares?

link something concrete, cause it sounds like you're misremembering.

Every few years the NHL brings the draft age change into conversation. The league wouldn't discuss it if it were not possible. Its the NHLPA that pushes back because obviously the union don't want future members denied the opportunity to play in the NHL sooner.
lol, poster is not misremembering
It was the Kenny Linesman rule.

Maybe read up on the rules for the draft, Matthew’s missed the date by 2 days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad