News and Notes XVI: RF's Vision Quest

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
He's essentially been their best defenseman for much of the last couple of seasons. Babcock loved him. He's being underrated here. He's been used as a two at times it seems, but he's probably best as a three that can handle two duties on occasion. It ties him up through his prime, and he would be highly sought after on the market. He's the only good d they have in his prime. I don't understand how this deal doesn't line up with value across the league.

Underrated here....maybe...even probably. But $5 million per year for 6 years is just a stretch.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Why? That's less than 200k more than Faulk, who's supposed to be a steal at that price when it was signed a couple of years ago. He definitely wasn't getting the ink he is now at the time either. It buys out years of ufa. I think they got a solid deal out of it, especially considering they had no choice but to sign him. Could've been worse for sure.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i agree with bleed

just because faulks contract is a steal doesnt mean that every other big contract automatically becomes terrible

faulks is a steal, theirs are average

if we want to make faulks the new normal, probably every defenseman in the league is overpaid, but thats obviously nonsense

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
We are stupid lucky with Faulk. At $6 million cap hit he'd be a bargain. At $4.8 million cap hit it's a damn steal.

The flipside of it is, when his next contract comes up, he's going to want to get PAID for reals and he's still only going to be 28 years old at that point.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
We are stupid lucky with Faulk. At $6 million cap hit he'd be a bargain. At $4.8 million cap hit it's a damn steal.

The flipside of it is, when his next contract comes up, he's going to want to get PAID for reals and he's still only going to be 28 years old at that point.

Except for Faulk sucks and his hsca is AHL caliber and we should kill him for the insurance money. Malone tried, but obviously not hard enough.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Except for Faulk sucks and his hsca is AHL caliber and we should kill him for the insurance money. Malone tried, but obviously not hard enough.

Did you know that simply having Justin Faulk on our team means that the Canes would also have to have the nine top scorers in the NHL (yes, all of them) just to secure a wildcard spot?

These are facts.

Don't even get me started on their annual Cap Floor antics.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I think it's hilarious how we get super defensive when fans of other teams pan the contracts given to valuable Hurricanes players, yet are so quick to do likewise when we view the contracts given to valuable players on other teams. The best indicator of the value of the contract is how their fans view it...they'll be the first to hate it if it's out of line.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I think we are seeing just how valuable the NHL front offices are currently viewing defensemen. If they have a competent one that doesn't crap the bed regularly, they want to hang onto them. I mean, look at the Hall/Larsson trade. Everybody says that the Oilers got fleeced, but what is the going rate on defensemen these days?

It's still early enough that my coffee may not have fully kicked in, so this may make no sense.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Also, what's the cost of replacing a guy if you let him go? If you thought DeKeyser was only worth 3-4, who are you going to get to replace him at that 3-4 million? I highly doubt someone at the same level, and not at the same age you know you've got locked up for six years.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I think it's hilarious how we get super defensive when fans of other teams pan the contracts given to valuable Hurricanes players, yet are so quick to do likewise when we view the contracts given to valuable players on other teams.
Or super defensive about "insulting" trade proposals involving Canes' players and how the bad ones amount to disrespecting our collective hockey IQ. :shakehead

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Why? That's less than 200k more than Faulk, who's supposed to be a steal at that price when it was signed a couple of years ago. He definitely wasn't getting the ink he is now at the time either. It buys out years of ufa. I think they got a solid deal out of it, especially considering they had no choice but to sign him. Could've been worse for sure.

Frankly, and this is just my opinion, he's no where near the player Faulk is. DeKeyser is a very erratic possession player. He had a terrible relative Corsi last season and for his career he's a -3.2. Faulk's overall possession metrics are significantly better.

He averages less than 30 points a season. He is a good shot blocker, however but his takeawy/giveaway numbers are pedestrian at best. Faulk is a much better scorer and significantly better in the takeaway arena.

So while I think we all know that Faulk is much better player and significantly better value than Dekeyser, it is futile to try and compare these deals.

I don't hate him but I think he's a million overpaid and not because Faulk is so underpaid, but because I think he's merely a solid player, not a $5 million player. But that's just one man's opinion...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
All message boards are simply a debate club for adults. Sports message boards are debate clubs founded in tribalism. Complaining about discourse is absurd.

It's the dead of the offseason. Good luck finding rich conversation about something meaningful.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ironic Post of the Year award winner

I mean complaining about a generalized, nonspecific, global, secondary discourse. Such as walking by two people at a political convention debating politics and saying "omg you two are so dumb because you debate politics". It isn't ironic for them to turn to the person and say "bro, this is a political convention, saying we are dumb for debating politics is an absurdity". My stating of facts is corrective discourse to secondary discourse which makes it primary discourse which is just fine. It's all very straight-forward.

This is a "News and Notes" thread. The only thing that belongs here is discussion about hCanes news and an abundance of sophisticated sarcasm.

And no, I'm not serious and don't actually care.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I mean complaining about a generalized, nonspecific, global, secondary discourse. Such as walking by two people at a political convention debating politics and saying "omg you two are so dumb because you debate politics". It isn't ironic for them to turn to the person and say "bro, this is a political convention, saying we are dumb for debating politics is an absurdity". My stating of facts is corrective discourse to secondary discourse which makes it primary discourse which is just fine. It's all very straight-forward.

This is a "News and Notes" thread. The only thing that belongs here is discussion about hCanes news and an abundance of sophisticated sarcasm.

And no, I'm not serious and don't actually care.

The 'joke' doesn't work if you put any thought into it. Why are you ruining all our fun?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Frankly, and this is just my opinion, he's no where near the player Faulk is. DeKeyser is a very erratic possession player. He had a terrible relative Corsi last season and for his career he's a -3.2. Faulk's overall possession metrics are significantly better.

He averages less than 30 points a season. He is a good shot blocker, however but his takeawy/giveaway numbers are pedestrian at best. Faulk is a much better scorer and significantly better in the takeaway arena.

So while I think we all know that Faulk is much better player and significantly better value than Dekeyser, it is futile to try and compare these deals.

I don't hate him but I think he's a million overpaid and not because Faulk is so underpaid, but because I think he's merely a solid player, not a $5 million player. But that's just one man's opinion...

Here's where I think metrics fail. New coach, new system, possession numbers are affected by chemistry and things not shown. Just because he had a mediocre fancy star year doesn't mean anything in terms of what he can do with the puck. His passing options are limited to how well the forwards move to get open and what lanes they choose. He's a very solid passer, he needs good targets. Using these stats to define him vs Faulk does nothing for me. DeKeyser is a more mobile skater and I think a better defensive defenseman than Faulk, though he lacks the shot which takes away his offensive impact. He is a two way guy but he definitely tends to worry more about his d. These things don't really show in the stats imo.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Here's where I think metrics fail. New coach, new system, possession numbers are affected by chemistry and things not shown. Just because he had a mediocre fancy star year doesn't mean anything in terms of what he can do with the puck. His passing options are limited to how well the forwards move to get open and what lanes they choose. He's a very solid passer, he needs good targets. Using these stats to define him vs Faulk does nothing for me. DeKeyser is a more mobile skater and I think a better defensive defenseman than Faulk, though he lacks the shot which takes away his offensive impact. He is a two way guy but he definitely tends to worry more about his d. These things don't really show in the stats imo.

All good points Bleed and I haven't see a ton of DeKeyser. I think he's a fairly good defender and he can get the puck out of his zone. But I've also seen him get trapped in his zone and get stripped of the puck pretty easily in transition. BTW, those stat numbers were career not just last year (where he was even worse). I think I'm one of the few who think Faulk's a much better defender than he's given credit for.

But regardless, we're arguing over $1 million. You think he's worth the extra dollars for some valid reasons and I think he's not for equally valid reasons. It doesn't mean that I think he's a turd in his own zone. It means that we disagree on extent.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Given the dynamic of teammates, circumstances, game situation, etc., the whole notion of boiling the stat down to "his possession numbers" for any player has always struck me as a misnomer.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
All good points Bleed and I haven't see a ton of DeKeyser. I think he's a fairly good defender and he can get the puck out of his zone. But I've also seen him get trapped in his zone and get stripped of the puck pretty easily in transition. BTW, those stat numbers were career not just last year (where he was even worse). I think I'm one of the few who think Faulk's a much better defender than he's given credit for.

But regardless, we're arguing over $1 million. You think he's worth the extra dollars for some valid reasons and I think he's not for equally valid reasons. It doesn't mean that I think he's a turd in his own zone. It means that we disagree on extent.

Fair enough. No point beating it to death. I have no actual emotion to it. I don't understand the overall negative league wide fan disagreement about this particular deal, and am just throwing my two cents in.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Never forget. You can't put a price tag on intangibles. Once I figure out what they are, I'll get back with you.

58524460.jpg

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
that makes me tingly

also i read ur tweeter and feel less embarrassed about my hcanes memorabilia collection. im going to wait for my wife to go out of town one day and then put it all up in the bonus room so that i can beg for forgiveness instead of permission

im also going to paint the room black and red

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
i didnt even tweet all, or even most of it...

i started getting tired and bored of taking pictures instead of figuring out where to shove all the random stuff i was finding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad