OT: New Rock radio station coming this Friday 7:00 pm on Rebel 101.7 FM, old Dawg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WebNewfie

Nov 5, 2008
“It’s going to span a number of decades but it’s going to be very active rock,” he said, listing Guns ‘N Roses, Nirvana, Disturbed, Led Zeppelin, Beatles and Pink Floyd as some acts that will be on the playlist. Canadian content will come from the likes of the Tragically Hip, Nickelback and Big Wreck, to name a few. “This is going to be more straight-ahead rock music,” he added, “including a lot of the songs that have been abandoned by the other stations in the market.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/local-arts/dawg-fm-to-be-replaced-by-rebel-on-the-radio-dial

Edit: Geesh - almost 8 years here and only 42 posts. Must be the total definition of a lurker! hah

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
“It’s going to span a number of decades but it’s going to be very active rock,” he said, listing Guns ‘N Roses, Nirvana, Disturbed, Led Zeppelin, Beatles and Pink Floyd as some acts that will be on the playlist. Canadian content will come from the likes of the Tragically Hip, Nickelback and Big Wreck, to name a few. “This is going to be more straight-ahead rock music,” he added, “including a lot of the songs that have been abandoned by the other stations in the market.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/local-arts/dawg-fm-to-be-replaced-by-rebel-on-the-radio-dial

Edit: Geesh - almost 8 years here and only 42 posts. Must be the total definition of a lurker! hah

Why would they do this???

I'm not a total EDM fan or anything but I think an electronic muisc station would do well in Ottawa

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I remember when Hot 89.9 was supposed to be a real hip hop station.....

Only thing I have ever heard close to a real hip hop show in Ottawa was hosted by a guy I used to know (DJ Ducats) on some obscure station, the show was only a few hours Friday or Saturday night and would play the good stuff from the early days....there's not a single hip hop act that has come out in the last 15 or so years that I find remotely talented...the kids nowadays need some Wu-Tang,Big L or Gangstarr in their lives!

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
“It’s going to span a number of decades but it’s going to be very active rock,†he said, listing Guns ‘N Roses, Nirvana, Disturbed, Led Zeppelin, Beatles and Pink Floyd as some acts that will be on the playlist. Canadian content will come from the likes of the Tragically Hip, Nickelback and Big Wreck, to name a few. “This is going to be more straight-ahead rock music,†he added, “including a lot of the songs that have been abandoned by the other stations in the market.â€

Basically The Bear all over again. Music is moving forward, radio isn't.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Great, just what Ottawa needs. Another Rock station.

I lol'ed.

We basically have 1 real "rock" station, man. 88.5 and Chez don't overlap very much.

Chez sort of took over from the Bear shifting from "Classic Rock" to "Ottawa's Rock Station".

But by the description posted after your comment, the new one will basically be a carbon copy of Chez with more Nickelback, so that is a shame.

I remember when Hot 89.9 was supposed to be a real hip hop station.....

They still have a great morning show, though. One of the few stations in Ottawa that hasn't screwed around with a winning combination.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
I lol'ed.

We basically have 1 real "rock" station, man. 88.5 and Chez don't overlap very much.

I'm an out of towner but came up for a Red Blacks game a couple weeks ago and all I can say is while I was channel surfing driving into town, there was a %90 chance I'd either get Beiber, Adelle, or Timberlake on the radio. Funny thing was after changing stations enough times and finally coming across a Zeppelin song, the station itself was french :laugh:

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
There's a couple half-decent french stations for rock... but on the english side of things, it's definitely going to fill a void. They could use a decent sports one for the summer as well. If you don't care about football, Dan Patrick is boring as heck and he's always on in the summer, so we're stuck with a choice between that or habs radio. Bah!

I don't feel that Chez changed much from their "classic rock' theme... they're just moving forward with the times. I know it doesn't feel that way, but some stuff from the 90s is now 25 years old. That's pretty classic and warrants getting in on their playlists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad