New goalie gear sightings for 2015-16

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
It's an irrelevant fact. That was the point. Goalies have the final say on what they want on their mask.

It's completely relevant. You stated he gets so much business because the goalies like what he does. I stated an alternate reason he gets so much business.

Obviously goalies get a say on what goes on it, and I think he's made some fantastic masks in the past because the goalies can indeed dictate. It's obvious though that if a goalie doesn't specify exactly that they want a clean and simple mask from him or if they don't really care, he's going to default to a intricate loaded mask. Some people like that style, others don't. Whether that style is good or bad is not what I'm arguing.

DaveArt being the official painter for Bauer is a meaningless fact. Obviously a goalie is gonna choose a Bauer mask simply because of the quality of the product, and not the artwork. If goalies don't like DaveArt's work, they can simply choose to go with a solid colored mask with no artwork. Goalies also may leave it entirely up to the artist, but it doesn't mean they can't refuse to wear the mask if they don't like it.

It's very meaningful, for that exact reason. If all the goalies are going to DaveArt because they like Bauer masks, then why does it make sense to argue that the fact that he has so much business is a representation of how much goalies like him? If goalies are given the option between DaveArt and solid black mask, everyone (Except Hiller) chooses DaveArt because they don't want a solid black mask and they like Bauer masks, not because they like DaveArt.

The point is, what is subjective or not is NOT subjective. What looks good or bad on a mask is SUBJECTIVE, and there is no way around it.

latest

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
DaveArt being the official painter for Bauer is a meaningless fact. Obviously a goalie is gonna choose a Bauer mask simply because of the quality of the product, and not the artwork. If goalies don't like DaveArt's work, they can simply choose to go with a solid colored mask with no artwork. Goalies also may leave it entirely up to the artist, but it doesn't mean they can't refuse to wear the mask if they don't like it.

Well, that's my point. And I don't think him being the official painter is meaningless at all. Goalies will wear the brand of helmet they like; first and foremost they will choose a brand based on their preference to the mask itself. If they like Bauer and want it painted, though, and DaveArt has the rights to all NHL Bauer mask designs, then they have to go with him. So to put it another way in the form of a question, are DaveArt's designs so prevalent in the NHL because goalies like his designs, or are his designs so common because many NHL goalies prefer Bauer masks.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
It's completely relevant. You stated he gets so much business because the goalies like what he does. I stated an alternate reason he gets so much business.

Obviously goalies get a say on what goes on it, and I think he's made some fantastic masks in the past because the goalies can indeed dictate. It's obvious though that if a goalie doesn't specify exactly that they want a clean and simple mask from him or if they don't really care, he's going to default to a intricate loaded mask. Some people like that style, others don't. Whether that style is good or bad is not what I'm arguing.

It's very meaningful, for that exact reason. If all the goalies are going to DaveArt because they like Bauer masks, then why does it make sense to argue that the fact that he has so much business is a representation of how much goalies like him? If goalies are given the option between DaveArt and solid black mask, everyone (Except Hiller) chooses DaveArt because they don't want a solid black mask and they like Bauer masks, not because they like DaveArt.

latest

I'm aware that goalies choose Bauer for the quality of the mask, and not because of DaveArt. That's why I said it.

It still doesn't change the fact that Dave's work is liked by his clientele.

And I wasn't aware you were being sarcastic with your "subjective" post.

Well, that's my point. And I don't think him being the official painter is meaningless at all. Goalies will wear the brand of helmet they like; first and foremost they will choose a brand based on their preference to the mask itself. If they like Bauer and want it painted, though, and DaveArt has the rights to all NHL Bauer mask designs, then they have to go with him. So to put it another way in the form of a question, are DaveArt's designs so prevalent in the NHL because goalies like his designs, or are his designs so common because many NHL goalies prefer Bauer masks.

The answer is both. If his work was so negatively received by goalies, Bauer wouldn't be keeping him around.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The cage on Lundquist's looks really weird. The description says "chrome" but it looks the same colour as thermal paste.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Now that's a mask. That's one team i'd love to play for just for the sole purpose of all the endless designs you can come up with.
Love it.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Cliché skull and lightning bolts (do they glow in the dark?).

Not too different from what DaveArt would do.

I'm not a fan of that airbrushing style either, but this is not comparable to DaveArt.

The block coloring design elsewhere on this mask is phenomenal.. again, not a fan of the skulls and lightning bolts, but the rest of it is great.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Go to Slyabrush.com and look at those masks.. such good work there, thats how you paint a mask correctly.

I don't know who this is, but this mask is gorgeous
20150728_073347.jpg

That's Felix Potvin's old design in different colours for someone else. And yes, it is gorgeous.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Some goalies just don't care what their masks look like and don't give much thought on how their masks look.

I can tell you, from experience, this 100 percent not true. I have never encountered a single goalie who didn't care what was on his mask. The guys get very involved with the imagery, the colors, the style and its not at all uncommon for a goalie to receive a mask and not wear it due to a minor little thing they don't like.

This theory is bunk. These guys are very particular about their masks and even the colouring and style of their pads and equipment.

Also, the theory about Bauer "pressuring" people to use Dave is also absurd. Goalies pick their artists and I assure you, Bauer needs guys wearing their masks MUCH more then the guys need Bauer to furnish them with masks. Do you actually think Bauer would jeopardize having an NHL player use their mask by saying "you have to use this artist?" Ridiculous.

Many people may not like what he does, but I promise you, he's wildly popular among NHL goaltenders and he has a huge backlog of work to do for them. He's beloved among NHL goalies and highly sought after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad