New goalie gear sightings for 2015-16

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
insane talent, tell me where did all of you go to art school?

its one thing not to like a style and yeah some are over cluttered but to blindly bash this guy isnt cool.

If he was humble about it I wouldn't care but it's the LAWLZ DAVE ART SUPER FX GLOW TECH CRADLE OF CREATIVITY 2.0 SUPER 3000 **** that I can't stand. He acts like he's the best artist on the planet when his work is mediocre at best.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
If he was humble about it I wouldn't care but it's the LAWLZ DAVE ART SUPER FX GLOW TECH CRADLE OF CREATIVITY 2.0 SUPER 3000 **** that I can't stand. He acts like he's the best artist on the planet when his work is mediocre at best.

ok i get that, but you have any idea how difficult it is to do what he does? ive seen better masks but he is not mediocre

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

Enough bogus terms for a 90s Super soaker commercial.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

its one thing not to like a style and yeah some are over cluttered but to blindly bash this guy isnt cool.

I think the issue is more that people aren't blindly doing anything. They're actually looking at the mask designs...which is where the problem is rooted. :laugh:

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON

For real, considering a lot of people liked that Avs stadium series jersey I don't think they should be bashing DaveArt. **** if everyone had their way, goalie masks would just be plain white with the team logo on them.

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
For real, considering a lot of people liked that Avs stadium series jersey I don't think they should be bashing DaveArt. **** if everyone had their way, goalie masks would just be plain white with the team logo on them.

Yeah, just because we don't like a cluttered mess for a goalie mask means we have no eye for design :shakehead

To piggyback on your jersey analogy, DaveArt masks are like European hockey jerseys (as in covered in ads, WAY too much going on with no central focus), while we prefer NHL jerseys (cleaner, less cluttered).

Aug 3, 2010

Talent has little to do with good taste. The only thing that's blinding is the gaudy overuse of design elements that DaveArt consistently produces.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Exactly.

He must be doing something right if he has all of these clients.

Considering he's the official Bauer mask designer and most goalies use Bauer masks, I would be incredibly unsurprised if Bauer put on lots of pressure onto goalies to use him as a designer, and most goalies probably don't care enough to piss off their supplier.

You'll notice if you look through the thread that most (not all, but most) of DaveArt's masks are Bauer masks, while most of the masks who use other designers are a different manufacturer.

Last edited:

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007

Rhode Island School of Design. BFA in Illustration '89.

They aren't wrong, nor are they as a general rule not entitled to share their views on the designs despite their training or lack thereof in the field of art.

The problem with DaveArt and many of the mask designers out there now* is that they are overlooking the primary audience for these designs, which are the people attending the game and watching on TV. As others in this thread have stated, the most successful designs are simplified and interpretable from a distance (Vanbiesbrouck, Hackett, Hiller... ).

*to be fair much of the blame goes on the goaltenders themselves, who of course are the ones who must be pleased, and who never view their own masks from farther away than across a room.

Most of the masks from the 70s pass this simple test of visibility/interpretation from a distance. It wasn't because airbrushes were not yet invented, or that there was no means of accommodating such detail. Goalies and the mask designers understood the value of the mask for their own and the team's brand, and that the audience was viewing them from a good distance away. At that time, pretty much only professional goaltenders had customized masks.

Move forward to today, where goalies are getting custom paint jobs done on masks at a much younger age. For those masks, the audience is limited to the players on the ice and the friends of the player who can all see it close up. Detailed artwork isn't a big problem close up, but when the goalie transitions to pro leagues and a full arena or television, they've already been brought up with the idea that the mask visuals can be so intricate and everyone around them will respond with how cool it is. Works great for your friends and teammates, but again not so great for the broader audience.

So... when people talk about how busy some of these designs are what they are really saying is "Unless I am looking at the DaveArt promotional images, I can't see what the heck is going on on that mask."

And that's a real problem.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
The finalists for the "Design Cory Schneider's mask" contest -

11885166_10153526619924819_4029549730238536459_n.jpg

11846577_10153526619344819_7553595712159449355_n.jpg

11695831_10153525695054819_9065781839160487326_n.jpg

11222579_10153525634119819_6300024263733888731_n.jpg

11094357_10153525489259819_4669733902521028290_n.jpg

I like the final one the best.

Last edited:

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
For the first 10 seconds of looking at this, I completely thought this was a Minnesota mask.

11825114_10153525628739819_7084830923558648853_n.jpg

"Today we have the pleasure to present Oscar Dansk's new mask in a clean cut old school style.

The design lives and breathes Rögle BK in green and white colors, with the beautiful Rögle shield in focus.

It is in the details the story is told, and this mask is a true storybook of details, creating a retro look.

Thanks Oscar, I am so proud to be your artist!

Thank you all for your interest.❤ "

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Wait, why is that last one bad? It has a lot of detail, but the design itself is simple and would look fine from a distance.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
ok i get that, but you have any idea how difficult it is to do what he does? ive seen better masks but he is not mediocre

just because what he does is difficult doesn't mean what he produces isn't mediocre. He possesses the ability to create well designed masks, but he ends up doing way too much.

As a graphic designer, he reminds me of the mindset of students right out of college, who have the skill and abilities to produce great designs, but they can't hold back and simplify their work and add way too much detail into a logo. I could show you work I did fresh out of school and my work now and they are polar opposites because I've matured in my field.. Daveart has yet to mature his craft IMO..

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Nobody thinks that. What people are saying is that sometimes less is more. There's a reason why Brodeur has the most iconic mask of all time, and it didn't take any of the "DAVEART Trademark Super FX"

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
Rhode Island School of Design. BFA in Illustration '89.

They aren't wrong, nor are they as a general rule not entitled to share their views on the designs despite their training or lack thereof in the field of art.

The problem with DaveArt and many of the mask designers out there now* is that they are overlooking the primary audience for these designs, which are the people attending the game and watching on TV. As others in this thread have stated, the most successful designs are simplified and interpretable from a distance (Vanbiesbrouck, Hackett, Hiller... ).

*to be fair much of the blame goes on the goaltenders themselves, who of course are the ones who must be pleased, and who never view their own masks from farther away than across a room.

Most of the masks from the 70s pass this simple test of visibility/interpretation from a distance. It wasn't because airbrushes were not yet invented, or that there was no means of accommodating such detail. Goalies and the mask designers understood the value of the mask for their own and the team's brand, and that the audience was viewing them from a good distance away. At that time, pretty much only professional goaltenders had customized masks.

Move forward to today, where goalies are getting custom paint jobs done on masks at a much younger age. For those masks, the audience is limited to the players on the ice and the friends of the player who can all see it close up. Detailed artwork isn't a big problem close up, but when the goalie transitions to pro leagues and a full arena or television, they've already been brought up with the idea that the mask visuals can be so intricate and everyone around them will respond with how cool it is. Works great for your friends and teammates, but again not so great for the broader audience.

So... when people talk about how busy some of these designs are what they are really saying is "Unless I am looking at the DaveArt promotional images, I can't see what the heck is going on on that mask."

And that's a real problem.

good post! I have a BA in Visual Communications and Graphic Design, it was more along of the line of people mocking someone with a boat load of talent just because. :shakehead they are a bit cluttered, and whoever does Hillers mask is a genius. Maybe he's taken on too many clients, it just bothers me when people bash talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad