Salary Cap: New Cap $69M, Floor $51M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
up 5 million from last season, good news for teams like the leafs who like to spend to the cap

Tyler Biggs*

It isn't a testament to the fans, Bettman. It's a testament to the ridiculously high pricing of seemingly everything that involves going to a hockey game. The seats are expensive. the apparel is expensive. Watching it on TV has even gotten expensive. There's a reason the revenue has gone up, and it's not a matter of the strength of the game, it's a matter of diehard fans essentially getting their pocket books rung dry. Don't give credit to the strength of the game. It has probably remained the same since 10-11. Them prices just keep going up and up and up. Looks like we should all move to Florida or Phoenix and pay dirt for the tickets.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Speculatory roster as it stands after signing some RFAs

James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx / Peter Holland ($1.651m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Jerry D'Amigo ($0.851m) / xxxxxxxxxxxxx / Carter Ashton ($0.951m)
Colton Orr ($0.925m)

Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m)
Jake Gardiner ($2.667m) / xxxxxxxx
Tim Gleason ($4.000m) / Morgan Rielly ($0.894m)

Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
xxxxx

BUYOUTS
Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
Mikhail Grabovski ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000;
CAP PAYROLL: 54,837,334;
BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (16-man roster): $14,162,666

There certainly is room for a Dan Boyle or Paul Stastny under the cap

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I never really understood why you need a salary cap, if you are just going to include a cap floor and maximum spending which provides a competitive difference.

wam_raven

Mar 2, 2007
Good news? I'm listening.

Uhhhh... because the Leafs will always have the ability to spend to it, and many other teams will not? Isn't that an advantage?

The higher it goes, the more teams that will not get to it. The Leafs will be the last of that bunch.

Quite simple.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
With the cap under 70m, it'll be interesting which teams are forced to make surprising personnel changes.

I never really understood why you need a salary cap, if you are just going to include a cap floor and maximum spending which provides a competitive difference.

It's just more regulated parity: i'm quite happy with it in principle.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I argued with many on here that the cap was going to be around the 68/69 million and no one agreed with me....stating that it will be 72M or so.

Really?,

umm, did you see my posts just after the trade deadline?

I got roasted for it.

The quotes from dean Lombardy turned prophetic.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I argued with many on here that the cap was going to be around the 68/69 million and no one agreed with me....stating that it will be 72M or so.
Really?,

umm, did you see my posts just after the trade deadline?

I got roasted for it.

The quotes from dean Lombardy turned prophetic.
Wow! A salary cap increase! Unheard of!

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Uhhhh... because the Leafs will always have the ability to spend to it, and many other teams will not? Isn't that an advantage?

The higher it goes, the more teams that will not get to it. The Leafs will be the last of that bunch.

Quite simple.

And the reality is, we've always spent to it. Now for the news part. We have made 1 playoffs (shortened year) in the past how many while spending to the cap?

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009

Well the whole CBA itself forces enough revenue sharing that the teams that cry poor are lying. And the cap vs. ceiling is just to prevent things like baseball where you have teams that collect large amounts of revenue sharing and then spend 30 million dollars and profit off the success of teams that actually make an effort.

The cap floor/ceiling model doesn't guarantee competitive balance, but it forces you to be in the same ballpark.

DaveT83*

Last year only two teams in the Top10 in payroll didn't make the playoffs.

I'll let you all guess who was one of them.

Historically since the last lockout only one team in the NHL is the supreme champion in regards to spending the maximum allowed under CBA and having the worst results via standings.

Again I'll let you all guess what team that was!

A bottom5 team - operating like a perennial cup contender = A bottom5 team with a bottom5 prospect pool stuck with the likes of: Muskoka5 / LACK / Dion/Kessel/Bozak/Clarkson/Gleason/Bolland/Franson/Lupul

I'd argue that as bad as the Muskoka5 and LACK were - this current crop is by far the worst. HUGE MONEY and HORRIBLE results.

Do we really need more >?

Don't you think its time for a change?

Don't you think you deserve better then this as Leaf fans?

I like Stasny though - no problems giving him money. Boyle? Get the **** out of here.

Tyler Biggs*

Another cap increase leads to player salaries increase and eventually comes down to ticket prices for the fan. Fans that have seen ticket prices triple in only a few sort years! Where does it stop and when do fans get a break?

leafstilldeath*

Another cap increase leads to player salaries increase and eventually comes down to ticket prices for the fan. Fans that have seen ticket prices triple in only a few sort years! Where does it stop and when do fans get a break?

Its a friggen joke. This team has been lying in gutters and they have the audacity to raise ticket prices.

I am sure some blowhard here will comment: there are other 29 teams cheer for them blah blah blah

Its a ****ing joke when a minimum wage worker brings their kid(s) to the game and the Leafs **** the bed. First of all that low income family has to spend humungous amount to get overpriced tickets and then cannot even enjoy the game because of the stiffs on the team.

Its a shame.

leafstilldeath*

Last year only two teams in the Top10 in payroll didn't make the playoffs.

I'll let you all guess who was one of them.

Historically since the last lockout only one team in the NHL is the supreme champion in regards to spending the maximum allowed under CBA and having the worst results via standings.

Again I'll let you all guess what team that was!

A bottom5 team - operating like a perennial cup contender = A bottom5 team with a bottom5 prospect pool stuck with the likes of: Muskoka5 / LACK / Dion/Kessel/Bozak/Clarkson/Gleason/Bolland/Franson/Lupul

I'd argue that as bad as the Muskoka5 and LACK were - this current crop is by far the worst. HUGE MONEY and HORRIBLE results.

Do we really need more >?

Don't you think its time for a change?

Don't you think you deserve better then this as Leaf fans?

I like Stasny though - no problems giving him money. Boyle? Get the **** out of here.

Its a joke I tell ya. Spending to the cap and still be at the bottom of the league. Meanwhile, rewarding mediocrity and no vision for the future.

I am just hoping Shanahan isn't as short-sighted and has the stones to make big moves.
I have ZERO faith in Nonis

20.8 mil left (Clarkson+Phaneuf+Bozak = 16.45 million) i.e. approx 24% of the cap is spent on 3 guys that are will be in their mid to late 30s by the time leafs are good enough.

:shakehead

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

Would owners not be trying to charge as much as they could if player salaries were lower?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad