Proposal: Necas for Matheson & 26th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Scoring at a certain pace and actually doing it throughout a whole 82-game season are two completely different things. Funny how you left off that Matheson scored at a 58 points pace last year but included Necas' pace.

Necas had 71 points last year but his totals were completely reduced this year, lack of PP might be attributed to the coach just not trusting him enough on the PP. And on top of that he kind of sucks defensively and has tunnel vision offensively and is not a center.

He's a top 6 winger but probably more of a top 9 on a serious contender as he has many question marks about his overall game. The whole reason why he's on the market anyway is because the Canes don't want to pay him money as a legit top 6 because they don't believe he brings enough to the table, so you're relying on suckering some other team into believing him that they're getting a perennial 60/70 point guy when he's only done that once in his career and he's already 25.

TBH this trade doesn't even make sense for the Habs because they are still rebuilding and Necas is a complimentary secondary piece, he is not a driver. Accelerating a rebuild for a guy with so many holes and question marks in his game is exactly the way you botch a rebuild.
It sounds like you feel like Martin Necas isn't a very good player so maybe you don't want to trade for him. We are OK with that.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I get what you're saying....and appreciate you skepticism. However, I wonder just how much you've actually watched Matin Necas play.

He's a human zone entry machine, has a great one-timer, and is likely one of the 5 fastest skaters in the NHL. What he isn't is a fit for Rod Brind' Amour's system. However, if the Canes end up keeping him, there are significant rumblings about an increased role this season.

All of that said, it's pretty ridiculous to characterize Necas as only a Top 9 winger....anywhere. But to paraphrase the Big Lebowski, "...that's only your opinion man". There's a reason why there's so much interest league-wide in the potential trade. Those of us who watch him cringe at his occasional lapses (often from trying to do too much) and marvel at his offensive chops (you're not trading for Marty for his defense, albeit it's a bit improved this past season).

I personally hope we work something out with him as I believe he's one of the 4 best forwards on the team.
Tod Brind'Amour system aka playoff hockey.

Necas is a great perimeter player but you can only have one maybe 2 of these on a good team to have success in the playoffs imo

Reason why the Leafs struggle so much in post season too.

Habs already have Caufield.

I'd look at other options before spending major assets and $ on Necas. I'm sure he'd still help the team because we're not very good, but we'd realize in 2-3 years he's not the guy I think.

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
I get what you're saying....and appreciate you skepticism. However, I wonder just how much you've actually watched Matin Necas play.

He's a human zone entry machine, has a great one-timer, and is likely one of the 5 fastest skaters in the NHL. What he isn't is a fit for Rod Brind' Amour's system. However, if the Canes end up keeping him, there are significant rumblings about an increased role this season.

All of that said, it's pretty ridiculous to characterize Necas as only a Top 9 winger....anywhere. But to paraphrase the Big Lebowski, "...that's only your opinion man". There's a reason why there's so much interest league-wide in the potential trade. Those of us who watch him cringe at his occasional lapses (often from trying to do too much) and marvel at his offensive chops (you're not trading for Marty for his defense, albeit it's a bit improved this past season).

I personally hope we work something out with him as I believe he's one of the 4 best forwards on the team.
He is good at all those things and I never claimed he isn't. He is obviously a good and useful player but what I said about him is true, he has holes in his game and the skepticism about his overall play isn't unfounded. Tunnel vision, defensive question marks, and looking like he's playing on an island by himself namely being the criticism. If it wasn't, he wouldn't be on the market at all. The question isn't whether Necas is a good or bad player, it's more is he good enough to pay him $7M or more that he's rumored to be asking on a long term deal because at that rate you make him one of your key cogs. Him being on the market indicates that the Canes do not see him as a key piece.

There is a possibility that it's completely a system mismatch and that Necas would thrive away from Rod's system, but that's a huge gamble. People also love to sing Rod's praises around these parts, so if a player is at odds with one of the NHL's supposed best coaches does that say more about the player or the coach?
It sounds like you feel like Martin Necas isn't a very good player so maybe you don't want to trade for him. We are OK with that.
He's a useful player but I wouldn't make him a key part of my team if I want to win the cup, and that's what the team trading for him will have to do considering his salary asks.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
No, I wouldn't give Necas for Matheson 1 for 1.

But it doesn't mean Matheson is shit.

On the other hand, I don't think that Necas value is that high.

The few times I watched him he looked like a perimeter guy. Good skating, good height, good hands, but where's the courage?
Plus he's not productive enough to be considered a high priced forward.

If he comes at the right price ok, but Carolina seems a little greedy here, so pass...

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The answer is I'm not trading Matheson + 26th to have the chance to overpay $$$ for Necas.
Yeah good players are expensive. Is there any players you’d move big pieces for more than the matheson’s strubble 26th pick? Like anyone you’d trade a mailloux for?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yeah good players are expensive. Is there any players you’d move big pieces for more than the matheson’s strubble 26th pick? Like anyone you’d trade a mailloux for?
I personnally feel like these types of deals are shortcuts to a rebuild and rarely work in the long run. I prefer moving Matheson for a pick/prospect when he'll be an expiring contract.

I think we might trade a D for a F. Swap trade kind of like Gauthier vs Drysdale. Not sure if Mailloux's the guy. Still, don't think we're there yet. We have many Ds , but they haven't proven much yet. Once you have 4 good ones in the NHL with some pushing for these spots, then you can trade for an area need.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
He is good at all those things and I never claimed he isn't. He is obviously a good and useful player but what I said about him is true, he has holes in his game and the skepticism about his overall play isn't unfounded. Tunnel vision, defensive question marks, and looking like he's playing on an island by himself namely being the criticism. If it wasn't, he wouldn't be on the market at all. The question isn't whether Necas is a good or bad player, it's more is he good enough to pay him $7M or more that he's rumored to be asking on a long term deal because at that rate you make him one of your key cogs. Him being on the market indicates that the Canes do not see him as a key piece.

There is a possibility that it's completely a system mismatch and that Necas would thrive away from Rod's system, but that's a huge gamble. People also love to sing Rod's praises around these parts, so if a player is at odds with one of the NHL's supposed best coaches does that say more about the player or the coach?

He's a useful player but I wouldn't make him a key part of my team if I want to win the cup, and that's what the team trading for him will have to do considering his salary asks.
As I've intimated, some of your points are solid. Some of them have a lot of opinion sprinkled in.

It's pretty clear that I think Necas is a much better player that you're giving him credit for and that's fine. System mismatches happen all the time. The key hear is, and I believe the quote was, ".....almost every team in the league has called about Necas". I believe it's also been reported that something like 6 or 7 teams are trying to put together serious offers (who knows about that). The point is, he's in high demand. Demand drives up price.

Now it may all turn into nothing. Still, Carolina is built for long term competitiveness and their core is still going to be a hard out and still want's to push for the Cup. So there's no need to trade Necas. He will almost assuredly take them to arbitration (or go seek an offer sheet). He won't get the $7 million+ he's reportedly interested in as an arbitration award (I think I read something like $5.8 to $6 million). The Canes would then likely take the 2 year option and kick the can down the road.

As others have said, I'm guessing we're not a good trade match with Montreal anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad