Proposal: Necas for Matheson & 26th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Who says no?
Carolina.

I don't think Montreal is willing to make a Necas deal unless it's 3-way because we would want the pieces you're looking to make room for by moving Matheson over Matheson.

It makes more sense to move Matheson to a 3rd team willing to move the right younger players for MM and forward those pieces to Carolina for Necas.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Carolina says no pretty easily

And then they hang up phone
Considering the state of their defense with free agency approaching (though I understand Chatfield just signed and they're working on Slavin), i'm not sure they'd say no "pretty easily" to a quality Dman signed at a very affordable salary of 4.8M for the next 2 years.

The value isn't far off if at all IMO.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Slavin - Burns
Orlov - X
X - Chatfield

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
Matheson - X

Prefer A to B, if they’re going to allocate money to the D aggressively. More natural distribution. RHD are available in free agency. That would give Carolina more certainty for a post Burns future.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This seems pretty good in value, but I feel like both sides would say no. I think the two sides would have a significantly different opinion on Matheson, not because his talent level is questionable but just because Carolina doesn't need a LD with Slavin and Orlov under contract.

Now if Orlov wasn't there, I think this could make a lot of sense. If they could keep Pesce, I think a Matheson-Pesce 2nd pair would be terrific. But Orlov is there and they're likely not keeping Pesce.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Slavin - Burns
Orlov - X
X - Chatfield

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
Matheson - X

Prefer A to B, if they’re going to allocate money to the D aggressively. More natural distribution. RHD are available in free agency. That would give Carolina more certainty for a post Burns future.
I like Dmitry Orlov...but he's not a better Dman than Mike Matheson right now.

Understanding though that Orlov has one more year at 7.75M, while Matheson is signed for 2 more years at 4.875M. They're relative value to each other, never mind their contracts...Matheson's just a better player.

not to mention Brent Burns is washed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Understanding though that Orlov has one more year at 7.75M, while Matheson is signed for 2 more years at 4.875M. They're relative value to each other, never mind their contracts...Matheson's just a better player.

Whether Matheson is better than Orlov or not isn't particularly relevant because they still have Orlov under contract.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Understanding though that Orlov has one more year at 7.75M, while Matheson is signed for 2 more years at 4.875M.

The order you put Matheson and Orlov is irrelevant. Put Matheson on line two and it’s still $12.625 million tied up in LHD’s #2 and #3 which is an extremely inefficient use of cap space especially when you are liquidating your best trade asset, who has much longer term residual value, in the process. And are even further away from getting a much needed Pesce replacement because you have no cap space.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Whether Matheson is better than Orlov or not isn't particularly relevant because they still have Orlov under contract.
Hence why I wrote exactly that.

But he'd be a pretty significant upgrade regardless for the Canes.

Not to mention Orlov has experience playing the right side.

The order you put Matheson and Orlov is irrelevant. Put Matheson on line two and it’s still $12.625 million tied up in LHD’s #2 and #3 which is an extremely inefficient use of cap space especially when you are liquidating your best trade asset, who has much longer term residual value, in the process. And are even further away from getting a much needed Pesce replacement because you have no cap space.
Well it's relevant to the post I was answering that was suggesting that if the Canes acquired Matheson, that somehow he'd be the one on the 3rd pair, when the last I saw it was in fact Dmitry Orlov who was the LD on your 3rd pair.

The inefficient use of cap space is related to the Canes paying Dmitry Orlov a whopping 7.725M/yr, not the hypothetical addition of Matheson's extremely efficient 4.875M/yr salary.

I do agree however, that Martin Necas is an extremely valuable trade chip and if the Canes are going to trade him, they could probably do better.

But the proposed deal in this thread, isn't far off in terms of value, if at all.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hence why I wrote exactly that.

But he'd be a pretty significant upgrade regardless for the Canes.

Not to mention Orlov has experience playing the right side.

Well it's relevant to the post I was answering that was suggesting that if the Canes acquired Matheson, that somehow he'd be the one on the 3rd pair, when the last I saw it was in fact Dmitry Orlov who was the LD on your 3rd pair.

The inefficient use of cap space is related to the Canes paying Dmitry Orlov a whopping 7.725M/yr, not the hypothetical addition of Matheson's extremely efficient 4.875M/yr salary.
Ok…I mean Orlov was on the third pair because Slavin and Skjei anre awesome. He was back to playing second pair minutes when needed in the playoffs and has a track record of being more than capable of handling bigger minutes.

Nobody is dumping on Matheson or his contract. He’s not an ideal fit in Carolina, anyway you slice it. He’s not a RHD, he doesn’t provide the defensive stability that losing Pesce clearly showed in the playoffs…sure, in a vacuum any team would add him for two years at $4.8 million but not when it’s at the cost of an asset like Necas.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Ok…I mean Orlov was on the third pair because Slavin and Skjei anre awesome. He was back to playing second pair minutes when needed in the playoffs and has a track record of being more than capable of handling bigger minutes.
He's a solid Dman, I don't know about 7M+ solid...but he's solid.
Nobody is dumping on Matheson or his contract. He’s not an ideal fit in Carolina, anyway you slice it. He’s not a RHD, he doesn’t provide the defensive stability that losing Pesce clearly showed in the playoffs…sure, in a vacuum any team would add him for two years at $4.8 million but not when it’s at the cost of an asset like Necas.
Yeah, you're probably right, I assume you're a Canes fans so you'd have more insight as to the "fit".

But I was just responding to the thread proposal, which was irrespective of whether or not he fits, was just speaking on the value of that proposal.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He's a solid Dman, I don't know about 7M+ solid...but he's solid.

Yeah, you're probably right, I assume you're a Canes fans so you'd have more insight as to the "fit".

But I was just responding to the thread proposal, which was irrespective of whether or not he fits, was just speaking on the value of that proposal.
Eh they are like one of my many second teams. They are kind of in a fascinating spot though with the blueline in such flux.

Matheson is on a great deal, not suggesting Habs should have any interest in giving him away.

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Matheson is the wrong side and wrong style if the Canes let their UFA's walk. Slavin-Orlov is a more than fine top 2 on the left side.

Who's running the Canes PP moving forward? Skjei or the old Burns? I think Matheson would be a great partner to Burns for his last season.

Matheson would be an upgrade over Deangelo in terms of keeping the PP strong.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Considering the state of their defense with free agency approaching (though I understand Chatfield just signed and they're working on Slavin), i'm not sure they'd say no "pretty easily" to a quality Dman signed at a very affordable salary of 4.8M for the next 2 years.

The value isn't far off if at all IMO.
And add to the fact that unlike Montreal Carolina is win now. They don’t care for young prospects and picks. They need impact players that can help with a playoff push. A 60pt Dman with a couple years left cheap is in their wheelhouse

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Who's running the Canes PP moving forward? Skjei or the old Burns? I think Matheson would be a great partner to Burns for his last season.

Matheson would be an upgrade over Deangelo in terms of keeping the PP strong.
Morrow, Scott

Also, the Canes PP was 2nd overall with Burns as the QB last year.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Morrow, Scott

Also, the Canes PP was 2nd overall with Burns as the QB last year.

Burns was on the 2nd PP unit a fair amount. I've seen him on both the 1st unit and 2nd unit all season long. I know this because I play a lot of draftkings and look out for these kind of things. Deangelo also got some time. Right now, I believe the Canes ended the season with Burns on the 2nd unit and Svechnikov/Necas on the 1st unit (at the point).

Morrow is not running the Canes PP bud. He's a 3+ year potential solution if he turns into what you think he can.

I think Matheson would be a very good partner to Burns. And if the Habs are actually trying for the playoffs, I am not even sure we trade Matheson. He's been that good for us. However, I don't think we are ready for the playoffs and Matheson can help a actual playoff team more with his time left.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’d imagine canes are looking for one solid piece for Necas like a Reinbacher level prospect, they might not get it from mtl, but definitely think he’s worth it and that he will get it.

Not many fans talking about this angle either. Necas's next contract. As fans, we can't talk to his agent. But the actual GM's can because he is RFA. Before any GM trades for Necas, I suspect they talk to his agent on what the next contract looks like.

I value Necas as a high end middle 6F. Other fans have him pegged as a sure shot top 6F but I don't see it that way. I bet you his agent is going to push for it though. Get the feeling he wants to be paid like Suzuki but he's not as good. I'd be OK with 6x $6.5M but anything more than $6.5M scares me.

This is almost as risky as signing a UFA who has not played 1 game for your team and your coach/style. Necas could be a real hit or he could be overpaid. I can see two sides to this, not just one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad