NCAA Free agents (O'Connor Signs With Ottawa)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
The good news is, these guys have a lot of motivation to choose to sign with the Oilers. It's far and away their best bet to see NHL ice, maybe even within the year.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yes, but that's where having a strong vet like Bachman comes into play. He's competing for time vs. one of the best in the league, not another guy trying to learn the learn on the fly.

OK. Fair enough. But, it should be obvious to Brossoit and the entire Oilers organization that Bachman will never be an NHL starting goalie. I mean competition among prospects. Brossoit has a 30 something Bachman and two average to below average ECHL guys in Bunz and Tuohimaa to compete with for the next goalie job in Edmonton.

Bring in O'Connor and that automatically forces Brossoit to work a little harder and also gives O'Connor the motivation to supplant LB for the starting job in Bakersfield.

You can kind of see Scrivens and Fasth try and push each other to be better, but the fact of the matter is that they're just not good...

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
OK. Fair enough. But, it should be obvious to Brossoit and the entire Oilers organization that Bachman will never be an NHL starting goalie. I mean competition among prospects. Brossoit has a 30 something Bachman and two average to below average ECHL guys in Bunz and Tuohimaa to compete with for the next goalie job in Edmonton.

Bring in O'Connor and that automatically forces Brossoit to work a little harder and also gives O'Connor the motivation to supplant LB for the starting job in Bakersfield.

You can kind of see Scrivens and Fasth try and push each other to be better, but the fact of the matter is that they're just not good...

The only way these guys sign in Edmonton is holding MacT hostage and forcing him to promise an NHL foster spot. A la Schultz. Negotiating tool - why else sign in crappy city and crappy franchise unless you can offer more guarantees than the next guy, and with everyone offering similarly max dollars, the only other thing you can really "offer" is plying time. Morrison? Doubt he gets the big offer, so the Oilers may get him, underwhelming, but i bet O'Connor gets a solid offer and gets to pick from the Oilers guaranteed NHL roster spot and simply better destinantions with no plying time guarantees.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Rumor has it Morrison goes back to college to finish his degree and win a national championship. they got a good team there.

dont shoot the messenger, I hope MacT can convince him. hes what we need.

He played for Western Michigan. They had a pretty bad record this year. A national championship would be a miracle.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The tough part of these high end College free agents is they get the same (basic) offer from everyone. So it's hard to tell which team may or may not have the upper hand. I think, despite the most tire-est of fires, the Oilers are a good option for some of these guys are they are more likely to get NHL time here (sadly) then in other markets.

WoolyWhatsIt

Jul 28, 2009
Dont know how to Embed Tweets clearly...

From Bob McKenzie

CGY is strong front runner to land college UFA right-shot D Kenney Morrison of Western Michigan University.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Man we need Morrison way more than the Flames. His booming shot would be a real weapon on our PP

WoolyWhatsIt

Jul 28, 2009
yep I see a Colorado Like regression next year for the flames.

But talk to a flames fan and Johnny Hockey is invincible from any sophomore troubles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad