Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
There is a level of comfort relying on the old guard. Theyve been there done that and know how to handle the situations better. At some point though if this team is going to improve we are either going to have to give the younger/better prospects the latitude to make errors and learn on the job (like what NJD have done with Mercer/Holtz), trade said prospects for vets (like what we did with fiala but hope for better results), or go free agency hunting (like what we did with duchene, nyquist, ror, etc).

The younger players will make more mistakes. Just gotta accept that. Heck even the great vets like Josi make mistakes.
I get that but that is not what fans were told what was going to happen for this year. We expected to see Preds young players playing and attempting to make the team. Instead of bring them up they (Org) went out and brought in other players. Most of those other players were not that good except for Zucker and should have never been a Pred.

A few things I can see. 1- If the Preds Org does not believe in the players in Milwaukee then I can see many wanting to leave when they get a chance. 2- The people who draft need to be replaced if that is how the Org feels about the current young players. 3- We are seeing possibly that FA's are NOT wanting to come to Nashville...still. Can anyone give a good reason why Nashville is not a destination for very good FA's.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Because he is another Trenin is exactly why he was traded...every buisness deal would be arbitration/pulling teeth. We traded Trenin too:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: herzausstein

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah, I don't think Pesce makes much sense for NJ, tbh.

They already have Hamilton, Nemec and Marino on their right side with Casey knocking on the door as well. I think they'd shop Marino in case they signed Pesce.

But after Hughes and Nemec are RFAs in 2025 and 2026, respectively, they'd have a boatload of money tied to their back-end.
Yeah i dont get the idea of Pesce in NJ either. Even if they trade Marino, they still have Hamilton, Namec, and Casey coming up. Plugging in Pesce makes it to where Namec cant advance beyond the 3rd pairing and casey cant move up for the next 4 seasons (hamiltons remaining contract length).

Maybe theyre planning on trading Namec/casey for someone? Dont know why theyd do it but that could be a possibility or Hamilton gonna continue to be out?

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Russians are not going to be inherently difficult to negotiate with. It's in fact exactly the Afanasyevs and Trenins (back in those RFA negotiations) that are fringe NHLers trying to break into a full time role that will use this type of leverage. And they should- any agent who doesn't use everything they've got at their disposal isn't doing their job.

If Askarov, Svechkov, etc become legitimate full time NHL players they won't be any different than the dozens of other Russians in the league who have no reason to use a $1M salary or whatever in the KHL to negotiate their multi-million dollar NHL deals.

Radulov is a different guy but he isn't representative of Russians in the NHL.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Russians are not going to be inherently difficult to negotiate with. It's in fact exactly the Afanasyevs and Trenins (back in those RFA negotiations) that are fringe NHLers trying to break into a full time role that will use this type of leverage. And they should- any agent who doesn't use everything they've got at their disposal isn't doing their job.

If Askarov, Svechkov, etc become legitimate full time NHL players they won't be any different than the dozens of other Russians in the league who have no reason to use a $1M salary or whatever in the KHL to negotiate their multi-million dollar NHL deals.

Radulov is a different guy but he isn't representative of Russians in the NHL.
Askarov is a high pedigree prospect that has developed very well heading into his D+5 yet will likely head back to Milwaukee another year while the big club locks up his competition long-term (and I saw a tweet on the trade forum that said Trotz thinks a NTC is justified). I won't be surprised to see the same fuss starting to be kicked up for him.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I’m just not buying the group think here. Until proven otherwise Trotz and Brunette allowed Evangelista, Novak and Statsney NHL roster spots this season. If we add 3 new young players a year, this roster is going to turn young pretty quick.
I'm not fully on board with some of the more extreme takes but to be totally fair, Novak was a 26 (now 27) year old who was already basically a regular from the year before and Stastney only played 20 games (and 3 playoff) and 44 in Milwaukee so it's hard to really say they gave him a roster spot.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yeah u guess Novak was an older prospect to begin with. I just don’t see them keeping guys down that will allow them to win. Younger players are also cost control so there’s no point in it

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
When you are sitting near the cap floor cost control doesn't matter much.
Plus there's winning - in the sense of making a wildcard playoff spot, and a 1st round exit... which maybe some veteran depth can help us achieve - and then there's Winning... although I'm not sure we're even talking about a step backward considering the specific players we're talking about here... but at some point we need a bigger step forward, and it's more likely going to come with young players stepping up than it is from veteran tweeners helping us scrape into a wildcard spot. Or waiver castoffs from other organizations doing zilch. It hasn't reached a critical point of no return yet. But it's worth us looking askance here like we're doing.

About 10 days from now we'll know our lineup for next season. Once we set that, we'll see if the problem seems likely to continue or not. Can't hurt to be wary in the meantime, particularly given the most recent development.

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
BTW, tomorrow is the deadline for making Qualifying Offers to our RFAs. I predict the following:

Qualified: Parssinen, Tomasino, Del Gaizo, Stastney, Wilsby

Not Qualified (become UFAs): Anderson-Dolan, Allison, Foudy, Grigals

Well maybe not Wilsby if he has already indicated a desire to go back to Sweden. And it's not like it would hurt to qualify any of Anderson-Dolan, Allison, or Foudy, since the forward group in Milwaukee is looking a little thin.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
We don't have anything that would add up to the value of Ehlers and McGroarty. Maybe we could do the McGroarty part, offering up Wood or Kemmell. But we can't touch Ehlers.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We don't have anything that would add up to the value of Ehlers and McGroarty. Maybe we could do the McGroarty part, offering up Wood or Kemmell. But we can't touch Ehlers.
So Trotz just traded a guy who demanded a roster spot, so he is going to trade for a guy that seems to be doing the same thing only he is sitting in college rather than the AHL? :laugh:

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Fabbro sat several nights and when he did play got the fewest TOI of all the dmen on the team except for Schenn on some nights.

Stastney and Del Gaizo only got shots after several injuries to the LHD (McD and Lauzon) because Barrie on the left side was just terrible.

Novak - 2nd lowest TOI of all our forwards during the playoffs.

Evangelista/Novak - at some point you cant run 1 scoring line and 9 grinders.

Novak kinda deserved it in the PO's to a degree, the dude was getting run over constantly and look like a deer in headlights most of the time. Whereas when Parssinen finally got in, I thought he kinda thrived in it.

Yeah, I don't think Pesce makes much sense for NJ, tbh.

They already have Hamilton, Nemec and Marino on their right side with Casey knocking on the door as well. I think they'd shop Marino in case they signed Pesce.

But after Hughes and Nemec are RFAs in 2025 and 2026, respectively, they'd have a boatload of money tied to their back-end.
Marino could be a solid (potentially cheaper) target trade wise, especially if NJ does get Pesce.

I wouldn't hate this tbh, depending on the price,

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Some quick and not so quick thoughts.

BT is not going to be bullied into giving a one way contract to a guy who hasn't proven he's deserved it. Whether or not Egor was primed to take the next step is debatable but that's a different topic.

The discussion about the young guys earning their time at the NHL level. My view on prospects and how they develop or make it to the NHL.

1. You have a player with undeniable talent and makes it out of camp in their draft year. Usually elite players but others have made the leap. Benson in Buffalo was one last year if I have my timing right.

2. Guys who spend a year or two in college/juniors and then make it to the big club. There are usually a handful more of these but it's done. Power in Buffalo is another example.

3. Guys who get drafted who don't make the jump right away, whether it's a couple of years in college or the juniors, they then go to the AHL. If the player is an impact player, they may spend a whole or half season in the minors, get called up and never get sent back down. There's also those that get called up, get a good taste, have a thing or two to work on, play another 20 or so games and then make the leap full time. These guys are usually putting up a ppg from the get go but you can usually see the trend to them making the leap.

4. You then have guys who may take a second year to fully get it and in that second year, they take an exponential leap due to physically getting stronger but also having a better grasp of the mental side of the game. You will still have impact guys out of this batch, it just took them a little longer to get there.

5. Then there are guys that take the overcook to get there but eventually do and find themselves a spot on someone's roster.

6. Then you have guys that are the tweeners, too good for the AHL but not good enough for a nightly NHL roster spot.

At some point, there are plenty of places to lay blame. Could be the scouts and the players we drafted. Could be the development. Could be the view from the GM and coach that the road to Nashville is thru Milwaukee, no matter how good you may be. So many things here to digest.

I think in the past Poile was looking for really well rounded players, to his and the team's detriment.

I think may be we put too much stock in how good or bad Taylor is as a coach. While he has success winning games in Milwaukee, is he preparing the kids to take the next step to make it in Nashville? Is that truly up to him, the development staff or the player or a bit of all three.

I truly believe, if you want to be great at this level, it comes from the player, their drive and their mental/emotional capacity. I see a guy like Evangelista and the kids continually gets better. He's a sponge. He's got a swagger about him. He will continue to soak in knowledge from guys like Fil, ROR and Gus and become a mainstay in our top 6. I see what ZLH did in Milwaukee this year and then flipped a switch in the playoffs. Once again, this isn't something you teach, you either have this trait or don't. Remember Colin Wilson, the maligned regular season player who we expected so much from and the playoffs hit and he turned into a different player. From what I've read about Svechkov, he is trending in the right direction too.

The downside is, I see glimpses of greatness in Tomasino yet he hasn't found consistency. Glass has great offensive tools but can't put it together. Parssinen could go either way at this point. Do these guys have that extra drive to get to the next level and make an imprint? I'm honestly not hopeful because Tomasino and Parssinen haven't lit up the AHL and if they haven't done it yet, I doubt they do. Glass at this point is a wild card but I doubt he has many lives left with this team.

All this to say, we get our hopes up for these kids to make it. It's mostly on them to take that leap. No amount of coaching/development can help if they don't do the work.

We'll see what happens but my guess is Egor finds himself in bucket 5 or 6 from above. If he hits higher, great for him and bad decision by us. At the same time, if he were going to show he deserved a spot, he would've shown it to us by now.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
So, tanking for a generational superstar didn’t work against spotty but ultimately awesome goaltending. Will someone please tell me what to think? :help:

To the draft and overpayments we go!!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kat Predator

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
So, tanking for a generational superstar didn’t work against spotty but ultimately awesome goaltending. Will someone please tell me what to think? :help:

To the draft and overpayments we go !!!
Yet!!!

It's coming. They only missed the playoffs for like 12 out of 13 seasons, then have been building towards the win the last 4. They're right on track. It's coming! :sarcasm:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Oh come on. There are plenty of arguments against tanking but the guy Edmonton tanked for dragging them to the brink of the Cup and losing a one goal game in game 7 is just not a compelling one. Especially when NSH is perpetually losing in round one. Just use the good examples like Buffalo instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad