Salary Cap: Muzzin OR Barrie (Pick One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Re-Sign Muzzin OR Barrie

• Total voters

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Still the main value piece would likely be Krieder and Rielly shouldn't be traded for a collection of lesser parts. It would have to be for a guy like Parayko, even then personally I wouldnt trade Rielly.

Parayko is a dream trade-candidate lol.

He's 6'6, 230 lb, physical, a top-pairing RHD who can play a strong possession game, locked up till 2022 at 5.5M and just entered his prime (same age as Rielly). IMO there's no chance he gets traded, and if he does it'll likely be for more than Rielly. I would trade Rielly + one of AJ/Kappy + _____ to get him here.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

He's 6'6, 230 lb, physical, a top-pairing RHD who can play a strong possession game, locked up till 2022 at 5.5M and just entered his prime (same age as Rielly). IMO there's no chance he gets traded, and if he does it'll likely be for more than Rielly. I would trade Rielly + one of AJ/Kappy + _____ to get him here.
Rielly is also on a very good contract and has been the far better offensive player historically. Definitely in the ballpark value wise I would say.

While Rielly has had a bad season I dont think this will be his standard of play going forward. Rather a rough patch, looks injuried. Skating is labored and clunky taking away his greatest strength by far. As a result his confidence is plummeting as he knows he cant skate his way out of danger.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Rielly is also on a very good contract and has been the far better offensive player historically. Definitely in the ballpark value wise I would say.

While Rielly has had a bad season I dont think this will be his standard of play going forward. Rather a rough patch, looks injuried. Skating is labored and clunky taking away his greatest strength by far. As a result his confidence is plummeting as he knows he cant skate his way out of danger.

Rielly's been the far better offensive player throughout his career, no doubt. I often find him underrated around the league in terms of his offensive ability.

But that being said, Rielly's defensive play has never been close to top-pairing level. He has always been shelled in his own zone against a plethora of shots (including high-danger shots). It's not his fault though, as many of his coaches have forced him to play a role he was never suited for. Babcock ushered him to be a shutdown/matchup D when Rielly's skills are nothing similar to that. It would be like forcing Brent Burns to play a shutdown/matchup role, which is silly and that's why Vlasic-Karlsson play that role. Keefe has been using Rielly-Barrie in a more Brent Burns like role/usage, but with Muzzin recently out they haven't looked good.

So it comes down to what the Leafs need? Do we need an amazing offensive fast LHD or do we need an amazing defensive physical RHD?

Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Parayko
Sandin - Lilijegren

vs

Muzzin - Holl
Rielly - xxx
Dermott - Lilijegren
* Sandin stays in the AHL again, and we're still missing a RHD.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This team needs at least two (preferably three) offensive defenceman. Unfortunately Barrie will demand far more then hes worth so Kyle may need to pass. The Muzzin-Holl combo is a must moving forward.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This team needs at least two (preferably three) offensive defenceman. Unfortunately Barrie will demand far more then hes worth so Kyle may need to pass. The Muzzin-Holl combo is a must moving forward.
I disagree. We have Rielly, Dermott and Sandin to provide offense. We have Muzz and Holl to provide some defense. We need 2 more defensive defenders who have gone through the 7+ year ropes of learning the NHL game.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

To be fair he has always played behind Pietrangelo so he has never been their top guy. His hits per 60 are about the same as Dermott or Holl so not soft but way below a Manson or even Muzzin in the amount of contact he brings and at 15pm a year he is close to a Lady Bing candidate. Don't get me wrong I like the guy, and he is a better player than Manson who is more like a 2nd pairing option, but not enough to deal Rielly +. I am also thinking the Faulk acquisition was because they expect to lose Pietrangelo so their top 2 RD will be Parayko and Faulk. I don't think he will be available at any price.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
To be fair he has always played behind Pietrangelo so he has never been their top guy. His hits per 60 are about the same as Dermott or Holl so not soft but way below a Manson or even Muzzin in the amount of contact he brings and at 15pm a year he is close to a Lady Bing candidate. Don't get me wrong I like the guy, and he is a better player than Manson who is more like a 2nd pairing option, but not enough to deal Rielly +. I am also thinking the Faulk acquisition was because they expect to lose Pietrangelo so their top 2 RD will be Parayko and Faulk. I don't think he will be available at any price.

That's very true, I don't think there's any chance they move Parayko (I've been wrong before though lol).

When I was rerering Parayko being physical, I didn't mean in terms of toughnesa/hits. I meant in terms if being able to play the body effectively in puck-battles. Some D are fantastic with their sticks when battling in puckbattles, while others are great in using their body and stick. Parayko is the latter imo.

We'll see tbh. I don't think we'll see any major moves made to our D this season. I could see Johnsson being shipped out in the forward group though, since we have so much depth already to replace him.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I chose Muzzin but I think, pragmatically, you walk away from both.

Clubs just seem so reluctant to get rid of their vets. Maybe its the fear of the unknown but that seems like what drives the own rentals too. On a win now club with a bunch of kids looking top play major roles in the next couple of years, I can't see them being interested in moving Muzzin. An early playoff departure could see unexpected heads rolling in the summer but right now I see Barrie as the logical change, but I am not sure they even do that. Now that TB is a "known" quantity, and given that Rielly may be nursing an issue perhaps Barrie is playoff insurance in case Rielly has to be shut down? I think I would use Dermott and/or Sandin in that case myself, but KD likes his snipers.

Last edited:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
With our LD organizational strength present, it would seem signing Barrie might be the right move. Obviously if it's the right price and term. I've grown to like Muzz a lot and appreciate the rare quality he possesses on the team, however he is getting older and slower fast. Giving him anything over 4m with a minimum of 3 years would be a bad decision.

Sign Barrie. If both outprice themselves then they can leave. The defense will be alright.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Rielly - Barrie
Sandin - Holl
Dermott - Liljegren

This will never work. Your shut down pair can not be Sandin - Holl. You can not put Reilly there also and he can not stay on first pair with Barrie. Teams will exploit this weakness.

More realistic next season pairs will be:
Sandin - star rhd
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Lily

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Everytime a player sucks HF Boards assumes they are hurt and dont realise players may have other external issues or perhaps even internal issues that may handicap there on ice performance.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm just hard pressed to fully endorse a defenceman who is really bad at defence.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sounds like the Leafs are starting to discuss extension with Muzzin. Guessing this rules out a Barrie extension?

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Barrie looks like someone who just converted from Forward to Defense recently when you watch him play a 2 on 1 or in his own zone. How some people don't see how bad he is with pinches and decision making is beyond me. I thought Jake Gardiner was a better gambler than Barrie and I didn't think too highly of Jake either...

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad