Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Juraj Slafkovsky signs extension with the Canadiens (8 years, $7.6M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
I could see an outcome where he is a power winger that puts up 60 points as his ceiling is a w way 80+point power winger
Depends on how the roster will play out too. One of Caufield, Slaf, and Demidov will have to be on the second line in the long run. Out of the three, I expect Slaf would be more likely to go on the second line, although he will probably be on PP1 because of his size/role.

If they don't get hit by the injury bug all the time, I can see Caufield, Slafkovsky, Suzuki, and Dach being regular 65-75 points players. Demidov is the unknown. If he pans out, with his skills, he could be more of a 90+ pts player. I just won't believe that this is a possibility in Montreal until I see it with my own eyes, since it has never happened in my lifetime.

Last edited:

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Depends on how the roster will play out too. One of Caufield, Slaf, and Demidov will have to be on the second line in the long run. Out of the three, I expect Slaf would be more likely to go on the second line,l although he will probably be on PP1 because of his size/role.

If they don't get hit by the injury bug all the time, I can see Caufield, Slafkovsky, Suzuki, and Dach being regular 65-75 points players. Demidov is the unknown. If he pans out, with his skills, he could be more of a 90+ pts player. I just won't believe that this is a possibility in Montreal until I see it with my own eyes, since it has never happened in my lifetime.
I'd imagine with his abilities you want demidov running the second line akin to how Chicago used Kane and have monster possession two way first line with slaf-suzuki-caufield

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
All the games I've seen of him were poor but Habs fans are high on him and I've only seen a handful of games. If they're right it's a great contract. All the games I saw he struggled but I'll have to trust their judgment. These are the type of contracts that can get you championships or sink you so if the fundamentals are there then it could potentially be an amazing contract. Don't know why Slaf signs that though unless he has a significant injury nobody knows about.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Depends on how the roster will play out too. One of Caufield, Slaf, and Demidov will have to be on the second line in the long run. Out of the three, I expect Slaf would be more likely to go on the second line, although he will probably be on PP1 because of his size/role.

Demidov probably has the highest ceiling for production and he could hot 100 points.

Slaf getting locked up for 8 X 7.6 will become a bargain contract at some point and it could be in the next 2 years.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm sure habs fan will attack me but why sign him to this deal now?
Year one he was not great, year two he had a stretch that looked better than it was because of how bad he was before.
Why not wait to see how this season goes because even if he breaks out he's still not going to get more than this based of one season.

He already broke out in the second half. The team has seen enough to take that "risk" while it's also a good enough AAV for Slafkovsky to forgo potentially a 9M+ deal in a year or two.
Huge gamble on solely a good 2nd half of 1 season. Could be disastrous. But could be okay.

Huge gamble on a 1st overall pick that was breaking out at 19?

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Hes on ELC next year

If hes 75 pt player he will be worth his deal.

Some risk in the deal but his 2nd half points to potential to live up to this
Seriously, People forget that his next contract start in 2025-2026 season. He will still be on his rookie contract next season. The salary cap is also going up. His contract will be a steal in 3 years (after cap going up).

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Then consider yourself a young man who hasn't seen the carnage of the 70s Habs.

Reactions: Habano

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Comments in this thread remind me of comments when Sanderson got locked up on a year early extension 8.05x8.

If Montreal fans love this, it’s probably a very good risk vs reward scenario.

Also, great for young talents that could be phenoms to ultimately (probably) take a little less over a career to lock up financial security early. Come what may, this kid just all but locked up 60 million dollars, family and bloodlines set for generations, and there will probably be a lot more after this next contract. Good for him.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
This will look like a steal in only 2 years time.

Happy they didn't go the bridge route. Habs future cap structure is looking good and will look even better once a few more of Bergevin's bad contract come off the books in the next couple years.

Reactions: HabsQC

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
People always say these big money post-ELC contracts are risky yet they almost always end up being among the best contracts in the league. This is great for MTL.
Yep. For a kid with this much talent and upside, you always bet long-term on them.

It's a deal Slaf is very likely to grow into. Montreal is getting their core locked into deals that will provide surplus value when they're in their primes. It's smart work.

And there really isn't downside. If Slafvovsky doesn't become the player Montreal drafted him to be, their rebuild into an eventual contender won't be successful anyway, regardless of his cap hit. So you might as well make the gamble that he will reach his potential.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
All the games I've seen of him were poor but Habs fans are high on him and I've only seen a handful of games. If they're right it's a great contract. All the games I saw he struggled but I'll have to trust their judgment. These are the type of contracts that can get you championships or sink you so if the fundamentals are there then it could potentially be an amazing contract. Don't know why Slaf signs that though unless he has a significant injury nobody knows about.

It was a tale of two seasons for him. He has trended very well since the new year.

There's always the chance at this age that he takes a step back again as development isn't always as linear as people want to think but he looks like he will be a hulking top line winger when all is said and done.

There is an internal cap structure being built into the club. Suzuki, caufield and slafkovsky (the current first line) are all locked up for the long haul. Suzuki is the benchmark at 7.87 cap hit, while caufield and slafkovsky are registering a shade below that figure.

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021
I really fail to see what being a Slovak has to do with it lol but yeah he seems to have a "just happy to be here" attitude all the time feel like he just wants to get rid of the distractions and play

Power one I didn't agree with at the time but I don't think they're having buyer's remorse on the other two. And even if they fall in the middle of their last two years, which is the most likely, they're really not bad deals as much as they looked to be complete steals a year ago
You're 100% right. I wrongly assumed Slovakia was a poor country but i looked it up and it's nowhere near as bad as i believed. I will go to bed a little more educated tonight thanks to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad