Proposal: MTL / CBJ Patrick Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Spacehabs

Mar 3, 2020
MTL received : Patrick Laine, Mathieu Olivier

CBJ received : 1st 2024 #26, Christian Dvorak, Jordan Harris

I think Columbus need C depth and are willing to trade huge cap hit of Laine. What do you think is the value of Laine with his contract and being on the player assistance program ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: VT

Spacehabs

Mar 3, 2020
Even with Montreal dumping Dvorak's contract (only 1 year left at 4.5mil) I don't see them paying a 1st for Laine's 8.7mil contract for the next 2 years.

I also value Harris > Olivier so I don't know if Habs fans would be thrilled with this.
I was scared to put a 1 to 2M retained on Laine tbh. Its possible with only 2 years left on his contract and CBS not struggling with the cap.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
LMAOOOOOO! The Jets 1st, Dvorak and Harris/Struble!!! Every damn time.

In this case I wouldn’t pay that for Laine until I know he’s coming back to the NHL.

Reactions: Jacob

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Laine is not a "buy low" candidate, so this fundamentally doesn't work.

To explain: Moving Laine isn't actually a priority here, because we've got plenty of cap space. Folks like to also suggest that he's been some kind of locker room issue or something when nothing could be further from the truth. Continuing to hold onto him with the presumption that he'll bounce back is in fact the most prudent play for the Jackets, because when he's been healthy and on the ice, he's been a near-PPG top line scoring winger. Y'know, the sort of player we could really make use of.

Given that that risk is basically at zero cost for the Jackets, there's no incentive to accept a lower price to offset it. So if you want Laine, you should be putting up a package commesurate with what you'd expect to pay for a near-PPG top line scoring winger. Which is of course an extremely risky price for any other team to pay; I wouldn't expect them to try it.

Setting all that aside, though, there's other issues with this. For example, Olivier's been a very effective roleplayer and locker room presence here, and we kind of need more Reliable Mentors rather than less. And the Jackets have no need for "more C depth" - or, at least, not in any way such that Dvorak would be of any help whatsoever. Indeed, he's more likely to get in the way of the kids. Harris, also, doesn't have value here because we've already got a on-the-roster logjam of blueliners, and an existing metric f***ton of Young Up And Coming Blueliners we need to clear that logjam to make room for.

So, basically, this proposal fails in just about every way imaginable for the Jackets.

Spacehabs

Mar 3, 2020

To explain: Moving Laine isn't actually a priority here, because we've got plenty of cap space. Folks like to also suggest that he's been some kind of locker room issue or something when nothing could be further from the truth. Continuing to hold onto him with the presumption that he'll bounce back is in fact the most prudent play for the Jackets, because when he's been healthy and on the ice, he's been a near-PPG top line scoring winger. Y'know, the sort of player we could really make use of.

Given that that risk is basically at zero cost for the Jackets, there's no incentive to accept a lower price to offset it. So if you want Laine, you should be putting up a package commesurate with what you'd expect to pay for a near-PPG top line scoring winger. Which is of course an extremely risky price for any other team to pay; I wouldn't expect them to try it.

Setting all that aside, though, there's other issues with this. For example, Olivier's been a very effective roleplayer and locker room presence here, and we kind of need more Reliable Mentors rather than less. And the Jackets have no need for "more C depth" - or, at least, not in any way such that Dvorak would be of any help whatsoever. Indeed, he's more likely to get in the way of the kids. Harris, also, doesn't have value here because we've already got a on-the-roster logjam of blueliners, and an existing metric f***ton of Young Up And Coming Blueliners we need to clear that logjam to make room for.

So, basically, this proposal fails in just about every way imaginable for the Jackets.
From a Columbus side of view, what would be a fair proposition for Laine. I think a late first is quite valuable in the circumstance but I am curious to know your proposition .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
From a Columbus side of view, what would be a fair proposition for Laine. I think a late first is quite valuable in the circumstance but I am curious to know your proposition .
From Montreal? I don't think it's realistically feasible. Our teams are at very similar points in our rebuilds and have a strong need for the same sorts of assets.

The 1st isn't as enticing as one might think because, frankly, our prospect pool has largely been built; what we need the most is to develop those prospects we have gotten, making use of skilled vets to shelter and/or mentor 'em. Laine might not be ideal as a mentor per se, but he can certainly do the "shelter" part just fine. So if any established players get moved on our initiative, they'd be more than likely hockey trade type shuffles to find the right mix of roster guys - and given that he is on the PAP and all that, it's very unlikely Laine would net an equitable return in such a scenario.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
From Montreal? I don't think it's realistically feasible. Our teams are at very similar points in our rebuilds and have a strong need for the same sorts of assets.

The 1st isn't as enticing as one might think because, frankly, our prospect pool has largely been built; what we need the most is to develop those prospects we have gotten, making use of skilled vets to shelter and/or mentor 'em. Laine might not be ideal as a mentor per se, but he can certainly do the "shelter" part just fine. So if any established players get moved on our initiative, they'd be more than likely hockey trade type shuffles to find the right mix of roster guys - and given that he is on the PAP and all that, it's very unlikely Laine would net an equitable return in such a scenario.

Care to zero in on something specific? This Isles fan would love to put Laine with Barzal and Horvat.

Looking at what you have coming up, it seems maybe another experienced defender like Pulock or Pelech while you see which of the young defenders can make the leap might make sense. Better to bring in the younger players on 3rd pair to ease the transition?

We don't have the spare goaltender you might seek either. I really like your Top 6 with the Russian kids too, but maybe bottom-6 could be helped with experience?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Thats surprising! I dont know is personal problems I just know he lost his dad.
I saw a picture floating around twitter with his arm in a sling and some surgical bandages on his shoulder. Though maybe it was an old picture?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Care to zero in on something specific? This Isles fan would love to put Laine with Barzal and Horvat.

Looking at what you have coming up, it seems maybe another experienced defender like Pulock or Pelech while you see which of the young defenders can make the leap might make sense. Better to bring in the younger players on 3rd pair to ease the transition?

We don't have the spare goaltender you might seek either. I really like your Top 6 with the Russian kids too, but maybe bottom-6 could be helped with experience?
I'm personally kind of desperate to get a good experienced shutdown blueliner here for the very reasons you describe, so as soon as I saw those names I was reflexively all "yes please when can we do this please now". ;) But that's me, and so that might not be common consensus among Jackets fans.

The bottom 6 is pretty well set at this point (indeed, that's why moving Olivier is a bit objectionable, as mentioned earlier); if we need to add experience that's easily done through free agency at much lower cost.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

You simply cannot expect the same value for Laine as any other typical PPG winger. He's always injured and just finish the season in the players assistance program... these are facts you can't ignore. He's also not a PPG player, he has the potential to be, maybe IF he's healthy physically, IF he's healthy mentally, IF he gets a good center to set him up, IF he gets 1st line and PP minutes. And then he's paid a lot of money. I understand the cap isn't an issue for the Jackets, but it does affect his overall value on the market.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You simply cannot expect the same value for Laine as any other typical PPG winger. He's always injured and just finish the season in the players assistance program... these are facts you can't ignore. He's also not a PPG player, he has the potential to be, maybe IF he's healthy physically, IF he's healthy mentally, IF he gets a good center to set him up, IF he gets 1st line and PP minutes. And then he's paid a lot of money. I understand the cap isn't an issue for the Jackets, but it does affect his overall value on the market.
No kidding; I acknowledged that in that same post. It's why he's unlikely to be shopped or moved.

He's been consistently one or two points or so away from PPG, though (has actually reached it while he's here), so you're kind of splitting hairs on that detail.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I doubt Columbus expects to get a top line PPG winger package for Laine. I think Columbus has no incentive to trade him. It's not like he's a problem for the team, nor has he to my knowledge demanded a trade.

I think the only way Columbus trades him is for current players who would immediately improve the team. Much like Montreal, Columbus has lots of young talent who need to develop. I just don't see many teams, probably no teams at all who would pay what it would make sense for Columbus to trade him.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Thus Habs fan says.....sure, why not? the pieces we are giving up don't figure in our long term plans. Laine could.....in a big way. Or, he could suck ass.

Worth the gamble.

Reactions: Dutronc and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Sadly for Columbus, Laine just doesn't hold the value he once did, because of his current situation.
So it's sell low, or keep him..............more than likely he stays put.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Even with Montreal dumping Dvorak's contract (only 1 year left at 4.5mil) I don't see them paying a 1st for Laine's 8.7mil contract for the next 2 years.

I also value Harris > Olivier so I don't know if Habs fans would be thrilled with this.
But Mathieu Olivier is French-Canadian!!!!! There's a certain New York Rangers fan on this board who can tell you about all the marketing dollars Olivier will bring to the Canadiens!

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
No kidding; I acknowledged that in that same post. It's why he's unlikely to be shopped or moved.

He's been consistently one or two points or so away from PPG, though (has actually reached it while he's here), so you're kind of splitting hairs on that detail.
His career average is 0.8 PPG and he produced from the start so I don't think I'm splitting hair at all. Calling him a PPG player is false. There's nothing wrong with producing at a 0.8 ppg, that's good enough, no need to pump it up to PPG. He also only finished a season at PPG once in a shortened season, he got close another time.

I understand why you wouldn't move him for what other teams are willing to pay now, but at the same time, if he doesn't play a good or full season again next year, you might regret not moving him for a 1st+ when you had the chance.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I doubt Columbus expects to get a top line PPG winger package for Laine. I think Columbus has no incentive to trade him. It's not like he's a problem for the team, nor has he to my knowledge demanded a trade.

I think the only way Columbus trades him is for current players who would immediately improve the team. Much like Montreal, Columbus has lots of young talent who need to develop. I just don't see many teams, probably no teams at all who would pay what it would make sense for Columbus to trade him.
I have no information that suggest he's a problem for the team/locker room. But having a 8+M player injured or not playing is always an issue for the management. You want guys you can count on, specially when they are near the top of your depth chart.

If he stays and you see more of the same issues he's had (injury/assistance program), you're probably looking at a cap dump.
If he plays well and is healthy, I guess the plan is to trade him then?
If that's the case, it's not crazy to think they would take a first for him this year if they see a player they like available at 26.

I like Laine and would love to have him in Montreal. However, I don't think it would be a smart trade for Montreal to make. On the contrary, I think it could be good for Columbus if : they can use that cap space better and draft someone they like at 26.

Reactions: Kimota

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad