Proposal: MTL/BUF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
:habs
Will Butcher (35% retained)

:sabres
Brett Kulak

Not the most exciting trade proposal but I feel like this swap of bottom pairing defensemen might make sense. It looks like Butcher hasn't exactly thrived so far in Buffalo and Kulak as a pretty average, good-at-everything-great-at-nothing type of dman would provide a more stable presence. The Habs on the other hand are in dire need of dmen who can pass the puck out and while Butcher has his warts that's pretty much his bread and butter. It could very well end up being kind of a nothingburger trade but I don't think it can hurt anybody, as both players are on expiring contracts. The salary retention is to make the cap exchange a wash.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kulak is the cheap handy defenseman that you just throw in and get adequate results. Never going to get any offense and certainly no monster defense, but he can fill in without being a disaster.

No problem trading him but it has to be for more then someone elses failure.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
:habs
Will Butcher (35% retained)

:sabres
Brett Kulak

Not the most exciting trade proposal but I feel like this swap of bottom pairing defensemen might make sense. It looks like Butcher hasn't exactly thrived so far in Buffalo and Kulak as a pretty average, good-at-everything-great-at-nothing type of dman would provide a more stable presence. The Habs on the other hand are in dire need of dmen who can pass the puck out and while Butcher has his warts that's pretty much his bread and butter. It could very well end up being kind of a nothingburger trade but I don't think it can hurt anybody, as both players are on expiring contracts. The salary retention is to make the cap exchange a wash.

can't see any purpose for Mtl? Butcher might well be a slight upgrade over Wideman/Niku, but what's the point? Might as well keep kulak and move him later in the season for a pick or prospect asset.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
can't see any purpose for Mtl? Butcher might well be a slight upgrade over Wideman/Niku, but what's the point? Might as well keep kulak and move him later in the season for a pick or prospect asset.

Similarly to Kulak, Butcher can probably also be flipped for a pick at the TDL if we don't want to keep him around. Both players have pretty low value anyway. What I see is Butcher's passing ability and PP experience and how that could help the Habs.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Similarly to Kulak, Butcher can probably also be flipped for a pick at the TDL if we don't want to keep him around. Both players have pretty low value anyway. What I see is Butcher's passing ability and PP experience and how that could help the Habs.

help the habs be more likely to pick outside of the top-10 and lose that pick? doesn't seem very wise.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Honestly I’d take anything that isn’t a boat anchor contract for Butcher. He doesn’t fit well at all with Dahlin or the teams style. So sure I’d take Kulak

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
You only get to retain salary so many times. It's a waste of a salary retention slot for just Kulak. Without the salary retention, fine whatever. I don't see how this benefits either team though.

Reactions: AmadiosAmigos

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Why would Buffalo want to throw away Miller; he's in a contract year and playing very well.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Kulak is an overpayment for Butcher.

never though I’d have Kulak and overpayment in the same sentence but here we are

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad