(MTL) Arber Xhekaj has been fined $3,385.42

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Wifi deserved to be paid from DPS and not fined for doing what they are not capable of doing. Protecting the players.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
George Parros is an absolute disgrace.

Pare's hit was brutal, that is not debatable. But grabbing and punching an unwilling player in the head multiple times is a fine now?

Rielly got five games for a crosscheck to the hit.

Asinine.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Ok, here’s an infraction to an unsuspecting player that led to a head injury and him leaving the game:

How many games?

Falling backwards and making contact with the ice at the neck/head area COULD have led to paralysis so we should suspend him accordingly no?

This is where “intent” comes in. Did Holmberg intend to throw Greig down that hard and bang his head off the ice? I don’t know. It’s a sneaky dirty play if so and an unfortunate outcome if he just failed to get around him. It’s a much less a blatant attempt to injure than what Arber just did, or what Rielly did to Greig last season.

Reactions: LeafsNet

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The only person who should have been fined is the incompetent ref who failed to call a major penalty on a play that was a deliberate attempt to injure Laine by way of an ugly, ugly kneeing.
It's long past time that refs were held accountable.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is where “intent” comes in. Did Holmberg intend to throw Greig down that hard and bang his head off the ice? I don’t know. It’s a sneaky dirty play if so and an unfortunate outcome if he just failed to get around him. It’s a much less a blatant attempt to injure than what Arber just did, or what Rielly did to Greig last season.

My point is that you can get carried away by projecting the worst possible outcomes for on-ice infractions.

Interestingly, Holmberg was asked to answer the bell in the 3rd period and did so, fighting Cole Reinhardt.

He got 2 minutes for the incident, but if Grieg had been carried off the ice, or out for any length of time, would there have been supplemental discipline?

The outcome has to be taken into account.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Pretty lame.
The knee was stupid but obviously zero intent to injure. This tiny punishment for wifi only supports reckless and intentionally career threatening violence. One game suspension could at least offered some actual deterrent.
He got 27 minutes of penalties. The fine is SUPLIMENTAL to that

Reactions: dukeofjive

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Should have been at least a game. Setting a bad precedent with this. I get Habs fans are upset Laine was injured, but this idea that players HAVE to fight, or that Xhekaj was somehow justified because Laine was injured is absurd. It was a dangerous play regardless of the outcome. Just because Pare wasn't injured this time doesn't mean the next guy won't be.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Should have been at least a game. Setting a bad precedent with this. I get Habs fans are upset Laine was injured, but this idea that players HAVE to fight, or that Xhekaj was somehow justified because Laine was injured is absurd. It was a dangerous play regardless of the outcome. Just because Pare wasn't injured this time doesn't mean the next guy won't be.

A lot of people seem to want to see a one-game suspension.

I’m sure that Xhekaj and the Habs faithful would still have taken that punishment as worth it for defending an incoming star player from what they perceive as an extremely dangerous and injury inducing play.

So how is that more of a deterrent?

There are Leaf fans who think Rielly did right by going after Grieg, and that his teammates feel the same way.

How is -that- a deterrent?

From a justice point of view (e.g. I don’t think a fine is enough), I can understand it, but from a deterrent point of view, how many games would be required to legitimately make Arber Xhekaj think twice about going after the guy he thinks injured one of their star players over the long-term with a dangerous play?

I don’t think a single game moves the needle in this scenario.

Actual deterrence would require a suspension of such significant length as to make the average fan’s head spin.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The only person who should have been fined is the incompetent ref who failed to call a major penalty on a play that was a deliberate attempt to injure Laine by way of an ugly, ugly kneeing.
It's long past time that refs were held accountable.
Where's Wideman when you need him

• Haha
Reactions: Rubi

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Clearly some folks here are emotionally unstable

the unhinged Montreal fanbase are going to need professional mental help services.

I understand playing the Leafs is like the Stanley Cup Final for Montreal fans, but your emotions are way too high right now.
I’d usually write after every Leafs win “Yes that’s right folks, another great win by Canada’s team”.

I feed off other people raging. Haha.

Imagine thinking Montreal is Canada’s Team Hahahahahaha

I’m not particularly concerned

Who’s whining and why are you triggered?

Brand new account, mass posting, entirely about the Habs.

Thanks for your concerns about our mental health, now don't forget to take your meds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad