(MTL) Arber Xhekaj has been fined $3,385.42

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't get it. The league sets a precedent that players do not take justice in their own hands and then let this go.

Why? Because what happened to Laine was horrific? Because Laine is a big name? I'm not against that philosophy entirely as I do want the league to support stars more, but the league should know that now jumping players is now encouraged. Maybe they should be clear about when it's okay to jump someone with intent to injure and when it isn't

Reactions: LeafsNet

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The Leaf player should have squared up

Yes.
Also. That does not excuse repeated punches to the back of the head to a downed opponent.

One is cowardly. The other is incredibly dangerous. YouTube boxers who have been hit in the back of the head. Severe injuries/death can happen.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He hit a player multiple times in the back of the head. Not including the outcome to Steeve Moore, what is the major difference between this and what Todd Bertuzzi did??

The league is setting a horrific precedent, but it's not surprising given the incompetence DoPS has displayed
And it's going to continue to be like this as long as the DoPS keeps placing guys who made a living punching people in the face in charge.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Yes.
Also. That does not excuse repeated punches to the back of the head to a downed opponent.

One is cowardly. The other is incredibly dangerous. YouTube boxers who have been hit in the back of the head. Severe injuries/death can happen.
Oh well, he made a dirty play. Refs didn’t handle it. The players had to handle it and he cowered.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I don't get it. The league sets a precedent that players do not take justice in their own hands and then let this go.

Why? Because what happened to Laine was horrific? Because Laine is a big name? I'm not against that philosophy entirely as I do want the league to support stars more, but the league should know that now jumping players is now encouraged. Maybe they should be clear about when it's okay to jump someone with intent to injure and when it isn't
Because an ECHL plug was looking to hit a guy and made a dangerous play, and the refs let it go.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Punish the action, not the outcome.

He should have been suspended for a regular season game at least. You can’t allow players to openly throw punches at the back of other guys heads.

Like I said, Pare deserved to face the music for what he did. But not by getting hit in the back of the head, and the NHL should have taken a firm stance against that
Yeah? Where’s Paré’s punishment then?

Reactions: kevistar

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Does he get suspended if he attacks another player, who wasn't involved in anything earlier, in a similar way? If the answer is yes (which it is), then the fact that he did it in retribution absolutely is a mitigating factor, even if they're never going to say it out loud. Which is a pretty dumb thing in my mind.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
If I read this correctly.... Did the league just give Reaves the green light to wail on the back of Xherkajs head on Oct 9.

Would anyone get upset if it happens?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I remember when Neal Pionk took out Liljegren's knee, Jason Spezza deliberately kneed him in the head first chance he got, and Leafs fans were in a frenzy about that suspension.

Context is everything. There was no deliberate knee to the head. The only reason it ended up being contact with the head is because Pionk fell into it after Spezza had already committed to the hit. Not unlike Perry/Tavares in the playoffs.

And we weren’t upset he was suspended. I think most agreed he deserved something. We were upset because he got 6 games with absolutely no history.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Man the DoPS always keeps me guessing.

Because it's a preseason game I thought they were going to go stricter than usual to pretend they're doing their jobs.

I guess they're not even pretending anymore.

To be clear I did not like the hit and understand what Wifi was trying to do, but you can't swing away to the back of a guys head like that, even when he turtles.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
We should not judge dirty actions based on their outcomes. This incident could have gone the Steeve Moore pathway, we're lucky it didn't, and there should be a suspension for the actions that created that outcome to be a possibility

If Pare ended up concussed would everyone be calling for a Xhekaj suspension?

Of course it matters if Pare was injured. The fact that he wasn't injured suggests this incident isn't as bad as you want to make it seem.

It's hockey. He injured a player and got beat up for it. End of story.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I know it's been like 20 years so my memory might be a bit fuzzy, I'm 99% sure Moore already fought someone that game. Why should he fight twice?

Anyhow, punches to the back of the head should be an automatic suspension.

You're correct. Moore had fought someone already. But the game became a blowout and the Canucks decided to try and extract more vengeance.

People also often forget that the teams had already played each other once after the Naslund hit, but the Bertuzzi incident game was a blowout so things got ugly.

Reactions: wickedwitch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad