(MTL) Arber Xhekaj has been fined $3,385.42

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think he deliberately kneed him in the head, although I think he did intend to injure him. I wasn't a fan of that hit. Perry kneed Tavares in the head too and nobody tried to injure him.

To my point, in both situations nobody targeted stars outside of the player who laid the hit. Someone got some punches in and things were settled. Xhekaj wailed on Pare. You likely won't see Pare ever play a regular season game in a Leafs jersey. How else does this need to be settled? Xhekaj runs Matthews, Reaves runs Hutson. Pezzetta runs Nylander, Benoit runs Suzuki. This does nothing for anyone and won't happen.
Bad blood usually boils over. As a Jets fan I think a preseason headshot by Luke Kunin of the Wild on Bryan Little spilled over 2 seasons at least. That's how the game works. The Leafs-Habs rivalry was there before the puck dropped, just got a little more intense.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He hit a player multiple times in the back of the head. Not including the outcome to Steeve Moore, what is the major difference between this and what Todd Bertuzzi did??

Not including three fractured neck vertebrae, facial cuts and a concussion which were career-ending?

Seems like you're not including the most significant part.

Reactions: Czechboy

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
He deserved some supplemental discipline, that looked bad for the sport. At least he kept his gloves (less risk of injury) on, but still bad.
He already had it with the misconduct at like 16 minutes left in the first period. He was almost certainly getting a game if that happened in the 3rd. That's how it goes, and there's no reason why it should have different here.

LeafsNet

Sep 1, 2024
Waterloo
Habs players were f***ing furious after the game. Pretty sure, they'll put a little stash together to pay this off.
Looking forward to him and Pezzetta drilling all the leafs skilled forwards in a couple of weeks

Keep crying. Montreal ain’t gonna do anything, so stop pretending.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Not including three fractured neck vertebrae, facial cuts and a concussion which were career-ending?

Seems like you're not including the most significant part.
We should not judge dirty actions based on their outcomes. This incident could have gone the Steeve Moore pathway, we're lucky it didn't, and there should be a suspension for the actions that created that outcome to be a possibility

If Pare ended up concussed would everyone be calling for a Xhekaj suspension?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
We should not judge dirty actions based on their outcomes. This incident could have gone the Steeve Moore pathway, we're lucky it didn't, and there should be a suspension for the actions that created that outcome to be a possibility

No, because Pare isn't an NHLer. Mind you, this also mattered.

AX probably gets something if it was, I dunno, Matthews.

No they don’t get paid in pre season, players get per diem in pre season. That’s it.
They're paid bi weekly for the whole year, unless they aren't under contract when the season starts.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The outcome has to factor in.

A slash can result in a rapidly fading sting to the side or a severed finger.

A cross-check happens a multitude of times a game pre and post-whistle around the net but can also lead to a broken face.

Every infraction can have horrendous consequences but usually don't.

And we don't hand out suspensions every time there's a penalizable offence due to the possibility of something worse happening. It would be inconsistent if they did in this case.

Reactions: Canadienna

LeafsNet

Sep 1, 2024
Waterloo
This is just going to open the door for the Leafs and a guy like Reaves to do his own policing which now likely results in someone intentionally getting injured... Which is also basically what Xhekaj was trying to do in the first place.

Just so dumb. Even just a 1-2 game suspension cleans this up for the most part.

The Leafs won’t bite and the game has changed.

But I can see something similar to 2013 happening again, where Montreal was unhinged and playing at home against Toronto.

Leafs went up 5-0 and then all hell broke loose McClaren and Orr pretty much took out the entire Habs line. :D

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He hit a player multiple times in the back of the head. Not including the outcome to Steeve Moore, what is the major difference between this and what Todd Bertuzzi did??

The league is setting a horrific precedent, but it's not surprising given the incompetence DoPS has displayed
The Leaf player should have squared up

Reactions: JIMVINNY

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Habs players were f***ing furious after the game. Pretty sure, they'll put a little stash together to pay this off.
Looking forward to him and Pezzetta drilling all the leafs skilled forwards in a couple of weeks

Pezzetta is the biggest punching bag in the league.

Toronto is much bigger/tougher than before.

Reeves plays and they don’t do anything.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Punish the action, not the outcome.

He should have been suspended for a regular season game at least. You can’t allow players to openly throw punches at the back of other guys heads.

Like I said, Pare deserved to face the music for what he did. But not by getting hit in the back of the head, and the NHL should have taken a firm stance against that

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad