Proposal: Moving up a few spots in the draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
i really don't know that. I do know that players like Jack Eichel come to your team once or twice in a lifetime. That's how I see it anyways.

Fair enough. I prefer to build from the D-up, but I can see that side of the argument.

Last edited:

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
So I'm an almost ten year vet on this board and you two disrespect me with your utter garbage response...nice. I'm no 10 year old kid but you two must be.

Let's break it down a bit....

So what you two are saying, it's meaningless that Connor McDavid is Canadian to a Canadian team?? Really??? Seriously think about that. Hockey mad Canada wouldn't want their next golden child playing in their home country????? The last time that happened was Patrick Roy, and he bolted after he was dissed....please, name another one????

If you can't offer an intelligent thought about a real, truthful statement, just don't respond.

If Buffalo darted McDavid, great awesome, I love it, we have the face of the NHL for years but if McDavid is drafted by a Canadian team, they are having parades. He saves Edmonton and winnepeg, saves them. Mcdavid to Tampa, Tampa gets good but who cares????

Same goes with the next great Russian, or Eichel. He's not Canadian. Are they happy, sure...but he's not a savior at first. Jack Eichel to the Sabres is the greatest draft choice since Perrault, he will be the face of American hockey for years, he matters to an American team, especially Buffalo.

So again, Edmonton would never trade the right to pick the next Canadian golden boy but they would think about an American.

Say what you would but int their war room that discussion would come up. Guaranteed.

I read "ignorant post" and I'm thinking the same thing about yours, immature little boys who don't know anything about the real world.....

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
If we draft 3rd and Edmonton is 2nd. I'm going to try to get Eichel.

Our 3 1st in 2015... If that's not enough I keep adding...

Our 2 2nd in 2015... If that's not enough I keep adding...

Grigorenko... If that's not enough I keep adding...

Pysyk

If this package doesn't work... I take Hanifin

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I read "ignorant post" and I'm thinking the same thing about yours, immature little boys who don't know anything about the real world.....

I have more respect for the mods than to respond to this comment the way it deserves. But I'll just point out that my 40 years in life and 15 years of my current work experience are far...FAR beyond that of an immature little boy. You have absolutely no idea...

As for the hockey aspect, all of your concerns about nationality probably matter to a lot of fans, but they don't make decisions for their team. GMs do that, and I highly doubt they care enough to have it affect their decisions in the manner you described.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
So I'm an almost ten year vet on this board and you two disrespect me with your utter garbage response...nice. I'm no 10 year old kid but you two must be.

Let's break it down a bit....

So what you two are saying, it's meaningless that Connor McDavid is Canadian to a Canadian team?? Really??? Seriously think about that. Hockey mad Canada wouldn't want their next golden child playing in their home country????? The last time that happened was Patrick Roy, and he bolted after he was dissed....please, name another one????

If you can't offer an intelligent thought about a real, truthful statement, just don't respond.

If Buffalo darted McDavid, great awesome, I love it, we have the face of the NHL for years but if McDavid is drafted by a Canadian team, they are having parades. He saves Edmonton and winnepeg, saves them. Mcdavid to Tampa, Tampa gets good but who cares????

Same goes with the next great Russian, or Eichel. He's not Canadian. Are they happy, sure...but he's not a savior at first. Jack Eichel to the Sabres is the greatest draft choice since Perrault, he will be the face of American hockey for years, he matters to an American team, especially Buffalo.

So again, Edmonton would never trade the right to pick the next Canadian golden boy but they would think about an American.

Say what you would but int their war room that discussion would come up. Guaranteed.

First of all I don't care how long you've been posting on an online message board. Please enlighten me on how that makes your hockey knowledge flawless. The main premise of your argument is that a team will be more inclined to make a pick if the nationality matches. That's ludicrous. NHL FO's want to ice the best team, period. Where a player was born should be the absolute last thing they talk about when it differs between Canada/America (no KHL implications). If you're actually suggesting a team and their scouting staff will sway their decision to an inferior players direction just because of his birthplace then you've got no clue. Also, attacking other posters saying they don't know anything about the real world based on a hockey discussion :laugh: just classic

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I have more respect for the mods than to respond to this comment the way it deserves. But I'll just point out that my 40 years in life and 15 years of my current work experience are far...FAR beyond that of an immature little boy. You have absolutely no idea...

As for the hockey aspect, all of your concerns about nationality probably matter to a lot of fans, but they don't make decisions for their team. GMs do that, and I highly doubt they care enough to have it affect their decisions in the manner you described.

Agreed. This guy just doesn't get it. Not even worth our time at this point

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
And again the two of you ignor the difference between McDavid to Edmonton and Eichel to Edmonton. Whether or not you WANT to admit it, there is a major difference to Edmonton BECAUSE one is Canadian and one is American. The skill set may be marginal but their value difference is HUGE because of their nationalities, again to Edmonton (or another Canadian team) specifically.

What McDavid would bring to Edmonton is not measurable, he would save their franchise. Eichel could have the same production but could never encompass in totality what McDavid would do for the franchise of Edmonton....never.

It still amazes me that we can't have a truthful discussion about nationalities. It's always "you're racist," or "stereotypes " or "ignorant." The truth is that it matters. You may write things like a FO (front office) doesn't care but the reality is the FO does, and they do because it's not just a collection of players, it's a collection of pieces to a "team" and they also put that team together to SELL tickets, merchandise, ie a franchise.

So would Connor mcdavid, a Canadian matter more to Edmonton than jack Eichel????? 100% fact = yes.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
And again the two of you ignor the difference between McDavid to Edmonton and Eichel to Edmonton. Whether or not you WANT to admit it, there is a major difference to Edmonton BECAUSE one is Canadian and one is American. The skill set may be marginal but their value difference is HUGE because of their nationalities, again to Edmonton (or another Canadian team) specifically.

What McDavid would bring to Edmonton is not measurable, he would save their franchise. Eichel could have the same production but could never encompass in totality what McDavid would do for the franchise of Edmonton....never.

It still amazes me that we can't have a truthful discussion about nationalities. It's always "you're racist," or "stereotypes " or "ignorant." The truth is that it matters. You may write things like a FO (front office) doesn't care but the reality is the FO does, and they do because it's not just a collection of players, it's a collection of pieces to a "team" and they also put that team together to SELL tickets, merchandise, ie a franchise.

So would Connor mcdavid, a Canadian matter more to Edmonton than jack Eichel????? 100% fact = yes.

If McDavid and Eichel were equal across he board (they're not), and the only difference was their nationality... Maybe, maybe a team like Edmonton views that as the tiebreaker and selects McDavid. But the emphasis and value you're putting on their respective nationalities is completely insane. A team wants to pick the best player, period.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

1.) He'd matter more to EDM because he's a better player.

2.) A "fact" by definition is "something that truly exists or happens : something that has actual existence". There is no possible way of quantifying how much more, if any, McDavid would "matter" to EDM than Eichel.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
NHL 15 is fun! :sarcasm:

Considering the depth of this draft, any top 5 pick will be an awesome addition to an already stacked prospect pool. I wouldn't trade away Risto, or Zads, or even Myers in addition to all the 1st rounders in addition to another top player or prospect to move up a spot or two. Let alone a guaranteed shot at McEichel. I just think that's poor management. :dunno:

If the draft was like the 2014 draft, I may consider some other proposals but not at the expense of semi-gutting top end talent from this future team.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
And again...

You're going off the rails, taking an issue that sometimes matters in situations of marginal overall importance and turning it into a scenario where Edm would look at one top draft prospect as a "savior" and the other as trade bait.

I don't ignore the fact that nationality matters sometimes, I just don't believe it matters nearly as much as you. You can type the same thing again and I won't change my mind, and it has nothing to do with acknowledging or ignoring racism or stereotypes. I live and work with that drama daily so I imagine I know a little more about that stuff than the average person.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
If McDavid and Eichel were equal across he board (they're not), and the only difference was their nationality... Maybe, maybe a team like Edmonton views that as the tiebreaker and selects McDavid. But the emphasis and value you're putting on their respective nationalities is completely insane. A team wants to pick the best player, period.

Summed up nicely, on to the next issue

ZeroPT*

Win a presidents trophy (multiple?), in great position to win the cup.

Eichel and McDavid are essentially equal. Eichel is a better skater, athlete, and has that great reach. McDavid is Canadian, so it equals out.

my goodness

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I have no idea if this is the truth but I'd bet it is....

Wayne Gretzky's Edmonton jersey is the all time best seller in Canada. It's an arguable statement that it's the truth, close enough.

NHL hockey is a business.

Connor McDavid is drafted by Edmonton. His new 97 Oilers jersey immediately sells #1 in Canada, and stays top 5 seller for the next 20 years or so. If he's the next Crosby, or Gretzky, it will be. Btw, why is the "next one" always Canadian???? The next Gretzky, the next Lemieux, the next Crosby????

Jack Eichel to Edmonton does not have the same jersey sales, IMO. Connor McDavid on Edmonton, brings papparazzi, excitement, an event when Edmonton plays across Canada, Eichel does not.

For Edmonton, in a purly business way, him being Canadian matters a whole bunch.

I suggested the 3 Firsts and Risto for Eichel, and I have grave reservations about that due to awesome depth vs the superstar aspect but that's another discussion. My counter would be Zads. As of right now, both Risto and Zads are pretty equal, IMO, In Risto Edmonton has zero reservations about the deal, in Zads they have reservations, and those reservations have nothing to do with their on ice talents!

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
Just for my curiosity... What would it take to move up from 3 to 2? I would do our pick #3 and Zads plus a medium sweetner (later/future 1sts) if need be. I know our prospect pool is spectacular, but above all else I covet a #1C above almost all else. Even losing Zads our backend would have Gorges, Myers, Risto, Pysyk, McCabe, and any FA's.

Last edited:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Some people want to win presidents trophies.

I'm higher on Risto than most and am a huge proponent of building from the backend out (I even championed the idea of drafting Ekblad over Reinhart last year if the opportunity were there). But I really don't think Risto and the firsts is that outrageous a proposal to make.

I likely wouldn't do it -- at the end of the day, I don't feel the difference between Eichel and Zacha/Strome/Marner is big enough to offset the loss of a potential No. 1 defenseman -- but to suggest it's crazy is off. That's both a realistic gauge of that pick's value and one that wouldn't set the Sabres back years and years.

"Some people want to win presidents trophies"...we're not talking about trading that package for Hall.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Just take Hanifin. You can always trade one of the Big Four (Hanifin, Risto, Myers, Zads) for Hall down the road.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I'm higher on Risto than most and am a huge proponent of building from the backend out (I even championed the idea of drafting Ekblad over Reinhart last year if the opportunity were there). But I really don't think Risto and the firsts is that outrageous a proposal to make.

I likely wouldn't do it -- at the end of the day, I don't feel the difference between Eichel and Zacha/Strome/Marner is big enough to offset the loss of a potential No. 1 defenseman -- but to suggest it's crazy is off. That's both a realistic gauge of that pick's value and one that wouldn't set the Sabres back years and years.

"Some people want to win presidents trophies"...we're not talking about trading that package for Hall.

it would be 2 potential #1 D though because you'd be giving up Hanifin as well.

ZeroPT*

You'd also be giving up an extra top 4 pick.. Essentially a potential 1D and either a potential 1W (Marner) 1C (Strome) or another 1D (Hanifin) Plus a couple other 1st round picks in a deep draft.

That's straight out of Milbury's GM school. Eichel or McDavid are not worth sacrificing all that we have built. The way this rebuild has been gone about made sure that they'd be an icing on the cake. Not a fundamental addition. I'm not giving up the entire cake just for some icing, even though the icing is ****ing good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad