OT: Most Stressed Fan Base

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
The Edmonton Oilers have the most stressed fans in the NHL

Not surprised, and a little sad, especially reading the forum this off-season.

Time to find some things for everyone of us to wind down and chill out before opening night.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This was on the main boards and let me say I never heard of "NHLbreakers" ever before, it doesn't have any google hits and it appears to be related to one poster who did a survey in his mind..

Or its on instagram which is a back alley I'm never walking down.

Reactions: oilers'72

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
This was on the main boards and let me say I never heard of "NHLbreakers" ever before, it doesn't have any google hits and it appears to be related to one poster who did a survey in his mind..

The survey was done by a online gambling site BetUS. Looking at their reviews they sound like they're very scummy and just a scam. Apparently they have verbiage in their TOS that no professional gamblers are allowed, so if a person wins big they can cancel your bet.

Quote:
"BetUS garnered the rankings, according to the Calgary Herald, by pulling more than 100,000 tweets and message forum responses for each team. Those were then ran through TensiStrength, a tool that detects levels of stress or relaxation through short bursts of text."

Yeah this is highly scientific. You would almost think we got swept out of the playoffs or something. And if they're pulling stuff off forum sites like this one @McYams17 probably makes up 50% of our frustration with his comments on Koskinen. :laugh:

Just compete trash and the gambling site from what I've read is crooked.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Hey, we could be the joke of the league...View attachment 463131

giphy.gif

Looks like NHLbreakers is on Instagram, I think they are just posting the stats from the "Bet US" study, just like the Oilersnation link on the top of my post.

She didn't even bite that apple.

Deepfake be stressing me out.

giphy.gif

I don't even think it's a apple, looks more like a doggy toy ball.

dog-funny.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah I'm never signing up for instagram.. Imagine starting such a page on a platform designed to just be for pictures..

In the case of instagram my opinion is a picture isn't worth a thousand words, its worth nothing. jmo

The only benefit served to me signing up would be seeing pictures on what instagram crowded places to be avoided..

But seriously, stress is poorly measured, typically, except in medical sense with blood pressure and other bio indicators.

Stress perception is subject to bias, self reporting error, measuring error etc. But from comments it looks like their algorithm is just how many posts in certain periods of time. Which measures arguably passion, rather than stress.

They're just putting a word to it, and its subjectively applied with no quantification.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There's good reason to be stressed. We have the best player in the world, and another that belongs in the conversation for top 5 in any given year. We've now had them both on the roster for the last 6 years with no success to speak of in the last 4 years.

The stress comes from the knowledge that if we can't figure out how to win with them soon, we risk losing them lose them and be back where we started without top end talent. If that happens we will become a team that will have lost 5 Hart Trophy winners in the prime of their careers. That's a pretty embarassing feat for a franchise that is barely 40 years old. I'm not sure any other team could make the same claim.

Reactions: oljimmy

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The survey was done by a online gambling site BetUS. Looking at their reviews they sound like they're very scummy and just a scam. Apparently they have verbiage in their TOS that no professional gamblers are allowed, so if a person wins big they can cancel your bet.

Quote:
"BetUS garnered the rankings, according to the Calgary Herald, by pulling more than 100,000 tweets and message forum responses for each team. Those were then ran through TensiStrength, a tool that detects levels of stress or relaxation through short bursts of text."

Yeah this is highly scientific. You would almost think we got swept out of the playoffs or something. And if they're pulling stuff off forum sites like this one @McYams17 probably makes up 50% of our frustration with his comments on Koskinen. :laugh:

Just compete trash and the gambling site from what I've read is crooked.

Thanks. Seems pretty suspicious. Imagine betting on a site where the "house" is not held to any external gaming and betting standards and wherein the proprietor can just pull any bets the house loses. Sounds illegal.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
There's good reason to be stressed. We have the best player in the world, and another that belongs in the conversation for top 5 in any given year. We've now had them both on the roster for the last 6 years with no success to speak of in the last 4 years.

The stress comes from the knowledge that if we can't figure out how to win with them soon, we risk losing them lose them and be back where we started without top end talent. If that happens we will become a team that will have lost 5 Hart Trophy winners in the prime of their careers. That's a pretty embarassing feat for a franchise that is barely 40 years old. I'm not sure any other team could make the same claim.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

A reframe here that hockey is entertainment and we have plenty of entertaining in our lineup anytime McDrai, Barrie, etc are out on the ice. To me this isn't stressful. Stress was watching the 90's Oilers with players like David Oliver being on the PP and losing being inevitable. There was some real hard to watch change the channel years.

This completely aside but I was recently rewatching the Canada Russia series. New found respect for every play a Phil Esposito or Frank or Peter Mahovlich or Brad Park would make. They were creating almost all the team Canada offense through hard work and talent. Park particularly displayed his talent so much in that series and in the crux. Without that talent on Team Canada the series would be more stressful than it was to watch. With it, at least you get to see good quality world class plays. In entertainment, ultimately thats enough. That said I'm easily satisfied these days.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Individuals arent teams. I think its called perspective.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

I think you hold sports way too close to the heart if they actually cause you stress in your daily life. I think that's a personal thing more than any organizational thing no matter how bad they are. At that point it's just an unhealthy addiction.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think you hold sports way too close to the heart if they actually cause you stress in your daily life. I think that's a personal thing more than any organizational thing no matter how bad they are. At that point it's just an unhealthy addiction.

In the addictions schemes of things its probably a better one to have..

At least thats how I justify it.

Human organisms are hardwired to obsess, stress, and fear and its a Darwinistic trait selected for. So I'd rather be addicted to healthy foods and some sports and authors etc than worse alternatives like Netflix binging or Facebook..;)

#Harm reduction

heh

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Thanks everyone for their concerns. The stress doesn’t equate to real life stress for me. And I can assure you all blood pressure tests come back great (even during hockey season).

I’m just pointing out the current situation leaves fans to be concerned. If that would equate to stress by a robot analyzing tweets I can understand it as the pressure is mounting on this organization to have a run.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
It's another clickbait.

Just like the survey conducted on players that are most hated by fans. You'll find maybe 2 players that are properly ranked and then the rest doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure there are other teams ahead of us that are higher on that threshold. Toronto, SJ, Buffalo, Vancouver, etc.. long time teams that have existed since their inaugural season and haven't won a cup should be up there.

I'm not sure how much stress you guys built up, mine's usually reserved on gameday and maybe certain trades. But it's not like my opinion goes out on social media. Facebook and Twitter is a cesspool. I don't use IG either so.. I'm contributing nothing to BetUS in terms of stress. It's usually kept to friends, family, and this place. :)

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
It's another clickbait.

Just like the survey conducted on players that are most hated by fans. You'll find maybe 2 players that are properly ranked and then the rest doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure there are other teams ahead of us that are higher on that threshold. Toronto, SJ, Buffalo, Vancouver, etc.. long time teams that have existed since their inaugural season and haven't won a cup should be up there.

I'm not sure how much stress you guys built up, mine's usually reserved on gameday and maybe certain trades. But it's not like my opinion goes out on social media. Facebook and Twitter is a cesspool. I don't use IG either so.. I'm contributing nothing to BetUS in terms of stress. It's usually kept to friends, family, and this place. :)

I basically don't read the GDTs. A normal group of fans would talk over a SOG against a GA probably slumped shoulders and a loss is a group shrug, I read a few here and it seems like if a SOG is given up, pitchfork wielding crowds are set to attack; a GA, there's rioting and people committing suicide; and a loss means a nuclear explosion. :punk:

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I basically don't read the GDTs. A normal group of fans would talk over a SOG against a GA probably slumped shoulders and a loss is a group shrug, I read a few here and it seems like if a SOG is given up, pitchfork wielding crowds are set to attack; a GA, there's rioting and people committing suicide; and a loss means a nuclear explosion. :punk:
I think it's understandable.

We got a lot of posters who like to analyse what went wrong and vent their frustrations. It's a normal thing as fans, some of us are competitive (moreso than others) and hate to lose no matter what. LOL

I totally get it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Makes sense.

There's a group that's stressed because they aren't sold on some part of the team and another group that's stressed that those people would say anything negative about the team.

Feels like about 90% of the fan base fits into one of those groups right now haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad