More hated player - Cooke or Torres

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who was more hated?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Two different arcs in terms of perception/hate. Cooke came into the league and I don't remember anyone really hating him during the West Coast Express era. Once he got to Pittsburgh though the perception of him really changed. Some of that is from the Penguins being public enemy no. 1 (all the Sid Crybaby stuff, draft rigging rumours etc) but most of it of course was from his playstyle being at odds with the faster, more open play following the lockout. The hate kind of petered out toward the end of his career, aside from the Karlsson incident and the knee on knee thing with Barrie. But by the time he retired the Savard hit and McDonnough things felt (to me) like they happened ages ago.

Torres on the other hand just got more hated as he went along. He scored some big goals during Edmonton's cinderella run, kind of looked like he might be a Maltby type folk-hero but he seemed to get more vicious & one dimensional as he went along. Maybe the only member of the 2010s Canucks where I understood where the hate was coming from. He left the league following two of the longest suspensions in league history, and had he not retired was pacing for a 100+ game incident. I always thought his cheap shots looked more intentional than Cooke's, for what it's worth.

So in summary, Cooke seemed to mellow//be forgotten as his career wound down, whereas Torres was really just hitting his stride.

But also: **** both these guys.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Matt Cooke is probably the only Canuck I hated when he was on the team especially during his later years here.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Cooke no question Torres was dirty...His hit on Hossa being one of the most notable I actually didn't find it as bad as it was made out to be, which is odd because he does jump and aim for the head, but it wasn't as late as a hit as the NHL made it out to be imo. Both Garbage players, but I took Cooke's nonsense personal and he's probably the only NHLer I would chirp outside of the rink cause he's a POS, actually Kadri too..lol

Reactions: eli4spetterss0n

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Cooke was more hated. But I always thought Torres was slightly more dirty and cheap.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Torres rarely did dirty things. But when he did, they were just disgusting and wrong.

Cooke did too much dirty but not as bad as Torres.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Cooke. Dirtier and rarely ever dropped the mitts when challenged. He was one of the few guys I hoped got injured and wouldn’t have had one bit of empathy for a career ending injury.

Torres was more reckless. He did everything at high speed and sometimes didn’t stop when he knew he should have. Maybe his brain just didn’t work as fast as the average hockey player.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Both dirty players, but their reputations are overblown. Neither were as malicious as someone like Marchand.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Cooke was dirty, but he was a excellent 3rd liner. Torres would've been coveted in the 90's (that's why he was drafted 5th overall) but by the 2010's his style of play was on the outs.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Cooke on Karlsson or Torres on Hossa were worse than anything marchand ever did.
Nah. Cooke on Karlsson wasn't intentional and Torres on Hossa was .75s after the puck was knocked away, .15s more than legal. Both would always commit to completing the check, which sometimes turned out to be late or a knee when the opposing player evaded the check, but I never got the sense they were intentionally trying to injure someone.

Marchand will delibrately and premeditatedly spear a guy in the nuts, throw an elbow away from the play, or take out someone's knees just because he can.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nah. Cooke on Karlsson wasn't intentional and Torres on Hossa was .75s after the puck was knocked away, .15s more than legal. Both would always commit to completing the check, which sometimes turned out to be late or a knee when the opposing player evaded the check, but I never got the sense they were intentionally trying to injure someone.

Marchand will delibrately and premeditatedly spear a guy in the nuts, throw an elbow away from the play, or take out someone's knees just because he can.
Torres hit was not only extremely late, it was a blatant headshot and he intentionally tried to hurt him.

you don’t think cooke’s knee on Barrie wasn’t intentional? He wasn’t even close to getting him with a legal check.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Leaguewide? Cooke easily, probably.

But as a Canucks fan...i didn't hate Cooke as much as most fans, and i absolute hated Torres for his entire career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad