Proposal: Montreal - Pittsburgh

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
:habs

Joel Armia
Ben Chiarot
2nd round pick

:pens

1st round pick
Alex Nylander
Marcus Pettersson

The picks likely are only a few spots apart but the Habs could get more in the first round.

Pittsburgh sheds salary between Petterssons deal and Armias. Same term. Pittsburgh bulks up with two guys who have been great in recent playoffs for the Habs. Add size and physicality which the Pens can use.

Chiarot would fill in the minutes of Pettersson and more if needed.

Nylander has been alright so far but I think he'd get some big playing time with the Habs. Pettersson gives the Habs someone to replace Chiarot for next year on the left side.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
What’s the point of that deal? Pettersson hasn’t lived up to his deal, Armia is just fine where he is (we don’t need to shed salary) and our 2nd and Pitts first isn’t too far off. We’re basically giving Chiarot away for no reason.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think this value is that great for Montreal, it effectively boils down to Nylander and a pick around 25 for Chiarot and a pick around 35. Pettersson for Armia is just an expensive contract for expensive contract swap, it's pretty reasonable straight up, but the rest seems light for the Habs.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
What’s the point of that deal? Pettersson hasn’t lived up to his deal, Armia is just fine where he is (we don’t need to shed salary) and our 2nd and Pitts first isn’t too far off. We’re basically giving Chiarot away for no reason.
I don't think there's a gap between the player at 25 and 35 this year, unless someone slips. But that would be a draft day thing.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It's kind of like that every draft year.
Yes, well sometimes there's a gap at 25, other times at 34 or 40. I'm not familiar enough to tell for sure, but I don't big gap in between 25 and 35 this year. Russian factor might change that tho.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, well sometimes there's a gap at 25, other times at 34 or 40. I'm not familiar enough to tell for sure, but I don't big gap in between 25 and 35 this year. Russian factor might change that tho.

I agree with your overall context but it's basically the same every year. Some hit from 20-30 and some hit from 30-40 and others miss in both ranges. The only advantage is picking earlier where your draft board might be similar to a team behind you where you get to take him before they do but the main point is not all draft boards are the same from team to team. Maybe the top 15 or top 20 is closer to the same but after 20, there is a lot of variance. More variance in this draft year? Perhaps so.

There are many grafts you can find if you goggle images for NHL DRAFT PICK Values but most of them are the same. Basically from 20 to 40, you're looking at 0.275 vs 0.175 in the difference. In truth, both have a good chance at busting or being a depth player.

uqWYiL8.jpg

Reactions: jfhabs

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Neither Chiarot nor Armia are guys that should be coming back with our first going out. Yes, I see the 2nd from Montreal, no that doesn't change my POV. I don't see Chiarot as a huge need for the Pens that would justify the price. If you want to talk Pettersson for Armia, I think there could be something there as a base...but maybe in summer. We would need a dman back if it's in-season, I'm just not convinced that it would need to Chiarot for th 1st.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Neither Chiarot nor Armia are guys that should be coming back with our first going out. Yes, I see the 2nd from Montreal, no that doesn't change my POV. I don't see Chiarot as a huge need for the Pens that would justify the price. If you want to talk Pettersson for Armia, I think there could be something there as a base...but maybe in summer. We would need a dman back if it's in-season, I'm just not convinced that it would need to Chiarot for th 1st.

Agreed, I’d rather package much more with our first or a player with term (Pettersson) to get a player with term, rather than get a rental. Especially if that rental isn’t an impact top 6 forward (like a Hertl, etc.)

In any event, Pettersson is not the weak link on this team and will continue to improve as a player (he’s still young by Dmen standards). The weak link is not having a legit top 6 winger to play with Malkin.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Joel Armia
Ben Chiarot
2nd round pick

1st round pick
Alex Nylander
Marcus Pettersson

The picks likely are only a few spots apart but the Habs could get more in the first round.

Pittsburgh sheds salary between Petterssons deal and Armias. Same term. Pittsburgh bulks up with two guys who have been great in recent playoffs for the Habs. Add size and physicality which the Pens can use.

Nylander has been alright so far but I think he'd get some big playing time with the Habs. Pettersson gives the Habs someone to replace Chiarot for next year on the left side.
Not much difference between Habs 2nd and Pens 1st pick. Chiarot will fetch another first. I would pass for Habs

Black N Gold

Feb 4, 2022

Joel Armia
Ben Chiarot
2nd round pick

1st round pick
Alex Nylander
Marcus Pettersson

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Pitt does this. In need of a different look come playoff time. They recoup a pick and getting more grit on the back end which is needed.
The only way I would not do this , is if the 1rst round pick is going to something more substantial

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
awful deal for Montreal

Pitts 1st and our 2nd is basically the same.

Chiarot and Armia for Pettersson and Nylander is bad. We need picks and younger players.

I'd rather trade Chiarot for a 2nd + separatly.

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Much better trade for the Pens than the Habs, but not too crazy lopsided. I’d gladly take that deal as a Pens fan.

For the love of God though, you’ve got to take out the picks. The last time we traded a low 1st for a high 2nd in a deal the vast majority of the Pens board was inconsolable and insufferable for months on end (as a matter of fact, even now you still see it getting whined about if the mood is right).

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Well, if you could hope that coming to Pittsburgh would convert Armia consistently into playoff Armia, then this trade would be an epic win for the Pens. As it is he seems about as cold as Zach Aston Reese though.

Don't see this for Montreal. More value in hoping for Armia to make it back to what he looked like becoming and get some futures for Chairot (who is not getting something like a 1st, no).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad