Proposal: Montreal and Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Every team in the league has a prospect like Sandin come on. He's not a "top prospect" at all.
OHL U-18 Defensemen Single-Season Points Per Game Leaders Since 2006-07
Rasmus Sandin is an 18 year putting up impressive numbers in the AHL in his rookie season. 10 points in 18 games playing with men. Great puck mover and strong for his size. I don't have a clue what you would expect from a top prospect so why don't you list 5-18 year old dmen that are producing these kinds of numbers

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
You think contending teams are going to give their best defensive prospect and a 22 year old winger who can score 30 on a line with their star centre for Petry? lol

You might get one and that's pushing it. You're not getting both.

Kapanen is a legit first line winger, his production is all ES. His 13 ES goals is 12th among skaters in the league. His 24 ES points is 36th in the league. Domi leads the Habs with 26 ES points. If the kid has the kind of chemistry with Matthews that he can be a top 35 ES producer in the league then we're not adding huge plusses to him for Jeff Petry. Do you think you're going to get Huberdeau or Timo Meier for Petry?
People make me laugh. 2 good first round picks is way too high for Petry.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think you've made good points Randy, but our cause would be helped more if we won a playoff round. It will come no doubt, but I think there's still an awful lot of things that could happen before we start talking about a modern day (CBA era) dynasty.
Keep in mind that we're two years removed from finishing dead last, the "haven't won a playoff round" criticism is lazy, the team was ahead of schedule getting back to the playoffs and hasn't been in a series that we were supposed to win yet (by a stroke of bad luck in the Boston match up, being that all the best teams in the conference were in one division).

The 8-12 year compete window shouldn't be thought of as something dynastic either, it's really the standard for teams built this way. And don't get me wrong, not all of those years will be as a favorite, but most should be with us in the mix

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Rasmus Sandin is an 18 year putting up impressive numbers in the AHL in his rookie season. 10 points in 18 games playing with men. Great puck mover and strong for his size. I don't have a clue what you would expect from a top prospect so why don't you list 5-18 year old dmen that are producing these kinds of numbers

Romanov is looking good right now. Is he a top prospect?

Reactions: David Suzuki

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

It's not about the numbers they produce at 18, it's about what they project to. Like I said, every team has a prospect like him. A potential top 4 defenseman.

Reactions: Snowman

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
It's not about the numbers they produce at 18, it's about what they project to. Like I said, every team has a prospect like him. A potential top 4 defenseman.
A potential top 4 sounds like a top prospect to me

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
To much for Petry... but at TDL the Gms will pay big and too much for a real chance of the Cup.

If Petry or an other player make to difference to be for the finals, do it. But overpaid like july 1st

Toronto are there or not?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Petry is a nice fit for the Leafs. And Dubas probably likes him too.

I'd offer our 1st, 3rd, and whichever non-sandin/lilly prospect they want.

the price in the OP is ludicrous, of course.

Reactions: Tmart335

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Petry is a nice fit for the Leafs. And Dubas probably likes him too.

I'd offer our 1st, 3rd, and whichever non-sandin/lilly prospect they want.

the price in the OP is ludicrous, of course.

That gets you a rental at the deadline or maybe a case of buyer's remorse (like Hamilton).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think Leafs forwards are on par with Tampa/Winnipeg for best in the League, and a few teams are damn close depending on who is hot.
Tampas D is exponentially better than ours right now. As is Winnipeg.

weird that the Leafs give up fewer shots and fewer goals than either of those exponentially better defense.

Reactions: Mork

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That gets you a rental at the deadline or maybe a case of buyer's remorse (like Hamilton).

hey at least hfboards is finally admitting that Kapanen is worth more than our 1st round pick.

baby steps.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, 2 rivals trading, Yes petry is involve, no clue how both party will react to this, Yes it's kinda a bad timing to do this proposal with Nylander Struggling but he's clearly going to pick it up. Please fully read before posting, Please no salty answers, constructive post only

Petry (15% retained) 4.675M for this current season + 2 extra year

for

Sandin + Kapanen

Reasoning:

Toronto:

it's no secret, Toronto's Offense is hella stacked, Nylander just signed a 7M long term contract, Marner and Matthews are due to big raises, Kapanen is also looking for a contract next season, while it might be a bridge the 3.5M-ish+ might be problematic when it will be time to add Defense! Gardiner is likely leaving this offseason and toronto is in good shape for years to come on the Left side with Reilly and Dermott who will take bigger responsability next year! hence why i think Sandin could be expendable! Petry has been playing amazing hockey in the past 2 years, despite being 31, he's shown no sign of regress and would fit Toronto like a glove for the next 2 years in a half (3 playoffs) wich are High contend window.

Montreal:

Montreal is in no shape to contend, our division is currently too young and strong, Weber is likely stuck here and will be mentoring young guns for the years to come wich will prevent kids like Juulsen, Brook, Fleury to flourish and etasblished themself as NHLers. Montreal gets a good LHD prospect wich is a big need and a fast RW that can shoot the puck and follow Drouin and Domi!

Conclusion:

In my humble opinion, i think it's a solid trade for both side, Montreal gets a prospect in a position of need that can go directly to laval and add a young middle six RW. The point of the NHL is to win a Stanley cup and Toronto is right there, they have a solid window and despite losing Kapanen's offensive wich is currently on the 3rd line, Petry comes, brings PMD and stabilize their Defense wich will create more offensive in the end.

You forgot to include Suzuki...

Leafs don’t touch this with ten foot pole. We aren’t responsible to rebuild your team.

Petrys’ abilities are questionable. Not to mention he doesn’t fit our age group moving forward.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Ignoring that Montreal has no incentive to move Petry right now and no immediate replacement for him yet.

Petry is a legit top pairing D and has been for at least a season and a half. Before that he was at least a 3c by every measure. A late first and a B prospect doesn't fetch you that at the deadline, it would if his contract was expiring maybe.

Sandine and Kapanen are likely an overpayment but that's what it takes nowadays to land an extended rental for a chance at the cup. Leafs fans are completely overvaluing their assets here but w/e that's what fans do to their players and prospects.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Like which ones? Skating? Offensive ability? He has been playing like a #2 dman for the past 2 seasons. He would look pretty darn good next to Reilly and would be a HUGE help to the Leafs.
He would be Bryan McCabe 2.0. Too many brain farts. Good defensemen, but his mistakes add up and people eventually run him out of town.
Kinda like Gardiner. Great offensively but his mistakes are what people focus on.
Petry is not what we need. We need a Manson/Parayko/Pesce type dman.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He would be Bryan McCabe 2.0. Too many brain farts. Good defensemen, but his mistakes add up and people eventually run him out of town.
Kinda like Gardiner. Great offensively but his mistakes are what people focus on.
Petry is not what we need. We need a Manson/Parayko/Pesce type dman.
Lol sure thing man. Petry is great defensively. The occasional gaff isn't going to discredit all the great things he does defensively. I don't think you watch him if you think that he has too many brain farts. He is light years ahead of Gardiner in terms of defensive ability. I also think he is exactly what the Leafs should be looking for. The guy may be 31 but he skates like the wind and has always been stellar in the playoffs. He provides tons of offense and is really versatile. I don't even know why the Habs would gift a #2 dman to the Leafs.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
looks like one of the best dmen in the wjc, to me.

Looks far from being the best D. What WJC are you watching?!

Hughes, Boqvist, Smith, Romanov, Alexeyev, Phillips, Jokiharju, Bouchard, Brannstrom all had a superior WJC so far With Dobson being debatable and since Sweden is already elimited I don’t think he’s going to have the possibility to get ahead of these players

Last edited:

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
This trade may be idiotic but in what world does a two-way, ~55-60 point RHD who can defend and hit with terms only be worth a late first or a recent (25-31) draft pick? Petry can do it all, only cost 5.5M and is RHD.

While I agree Petry is a good player, let's not pretend he has ever scored 55-60 points. His career high is actually 42 (last year) and his career high before last year was 28.

The guy is 31. He may be on pace for 50+ this year, but he has never hit it

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Looks far from being the best D. What WJC are you watching?!

Hughes, Boqvist, Smith, Romanov, Alexeyev, Phillips, Jokiharju, Bouchard, Brannstrom all had a superior WJC so far With Dobson being debatable and since Sweden is already elimited I don’t think he’s going to have the possibility to get ahead of these players

looked better - and younger - than most of those names to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad