Proposal: Montreal and Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm not saying we should get both for Petry, but I'm saying it wouldn't be straight up for Kapanen or a small + in Sandin's case.
No, I'm not hoping for Huberdeau or Meier. Huberdeau is much better then Petry/Kapanen/Sandin right now. Meier is a young player producing near ppg, don't see the sharks moving him for Petry when they already have Burns/Karlsson on the right side. Kapanen is a good contributor in TO, but I think he's a complementary player not a line driver. Toronto also have a clear weakness on the right side.
Sandin being there best prospect doesn't make him more valuable from Montreal POV. He's a good prospect for sure, but his ranking in Toronto's organization shouldn't impact the value we (habs) put on him.
TBH, I don't see a deal to be made around Kapanen and Petry because Kapanen is cheap and contributing now on a contenting team. Montreal doesn't have a need at wing either.
But, if Montreal were looking to move Petry I could see something along the lines of Petry vs Sandin/Liljegren +. If Toronto doesn't want to pay that price it's fine, but that's what it normally cost to get a top 3 D with years left on his deal.

Well, I'm glad that you're not expecting Huberdeau and Meier, but those are the kind of players that Kapanen is tied with in ES scoring. Huberdeau plays his shifts with Barkov and Meier with Couture. I don't think he's as good as those players either, but I don't think most people recognize just how good his numbers are. Even if he is a complementary player, his numbers are legit first-liner kind of production at ES and he could be a 60-70 point player when he gets PP time.

If a team's weakness on a side is a reason to overpay then can I interest you in one Jake Gardiner?

Sandin has 10p in 18 games (5g 5a) in the AHL at 18 years old. You are right that his ranking in the Leafs system doesn't matter to the Habs, but his actual production and development are why he's an impressive piece who we're not interested in moving. His development has been outstanding and that's why he's valuable. If he were the principal ask in a Petry deal with some reasonable adds, I would think that's reasonable and you seem to think so too according to the final paragraph. But as an add to 22 year old who is currently 12th in the league in ES goal scoring (52nd in all goals), heck no. Really, all I'm arguing about here is Kapanen. I am just baffled that he's the throw in to you.

Reactions: Raging Bull

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Well, I'm glad that you're not expecting Huberdeau and Meier, but those are the kind of players that Kapanen is tied with in ES scoring. Huberdeau plays his shifts with Barkov and Meier with Couture. I don't think he's as good as those players either, but I don't think most people recognize just how good his numbers are. Even if he is a complementary player, his numbers are legit first-liner kind of production at ES and he could be a 60-70 point player when he gets PP time.

If a team's weakness on a side is a reason to overpay then can I interest you in one Jake Gardiner?

Sandin has 10p in 18 games (5g 5a) in the AHL at 18 years old. You are right that his ranking in the Leafs system doesn't matter to the Habs, but his actual production and development are why he's an impressive piece who we're not interested in moving. His development has been outstanding and that's why he's valuable. If he were the principal ask in a Petry deal with some reasonable adds, I would think that's reasonable and you seem to think so too according to the final paragraph. But as an add to 22 year old who is currently 12th in the league in ES goal scoring (52nd in all goals), heck no. Really, all I'm arguing about here is Kapanen. I am just baffled that he's the throw in to you.

I think we both agree. I didn't mean Kapanen was a throw in. What I meant was, if we're trading Petry, arguably our best trade chip, we need a young LHD coming back. Getting another winger wouldn't be smart from a habs perspective. I'm not saying you couldn't get something really good from a team who needs scoring wingers.

Personnally, while I agree Kapanen is a valuable piece, I still think it's a small sample size and he still has to prove himself. Perhaps without Matthews/Tavares, because the team acquiring him most likely won't have a center as good as those 2... anyway that would scare me. But might be wrong, I can't say I watch most Leafs games either...

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Lol you'd be thrilled if Sandin turned out reach any level similar to Petry. Jesus
for sure, and that version of Sandin is worth a ton more than Petry because he's 13 years younger and has all his ELC and RFA benefits intact. I'm not of the opinion that Sandin is off limits for Petry, but a deal where Sandin is the + is absurd

Reactions: NovaLeaf and BM14

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Leafs won't pay to move Horton's contract...it isn't an issue.

If the Leafs were looking at trading for Petry, i would think it would be picks based...something like 1st+2nd+B prospect. Probably not enough, but i doubt Sandin or Kapanen are offered for a 31 year old. (And certainly not both)

These 2 teams don't fit for a trade, Montreal is in a playoff spot, Toronto needs to target teams looking for picks in exchange for D.
You won't get Petry or anyone near his caliber by offering crap. Your 1st+2nd+B prospect doesn't even get you a call back.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You won't get Petry or anyone near his caliber by offering crap. Your 1st+2nd+B prospect doesn't even get you a call back.
Cool. Pretty sure Leafs could land either Tanev or Edler for something around that and keep Kapanen+Sandin.

Your response will be "Petry is way better than those 2!!" which may be correct, but the team as a whole (now and in the future) is better with Tanev/Edler+Kapanen+Sandin over Petry-Kapanen-Sandin.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
5 years is probably conservative given the compete windows of teams that were built following the same blueprint that the current Leafs are in the mid-late 2000's - Pittsburgh's window is still open since they made the playoffs as a top 10 team in 06/07, Chicago's only closed in the last couple of years after opening in 08/09, Washington's is still going after opening in 07/08.

I get that your prerogative is to hate on the Leafs, but this kind of comment really just opens the door to it being thrown back in your face in 8 years if the Leafs are doing the same thing that almost every team that follows the same blueprint has done for more than a decade

I think you've made good points Randy, but our cause would be helped more if we won a playoff round. It will come no doubt, but I think there's still an awful lot of things that could happen before we start talking about a modern day (CBA era) dynasty.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I think you've made good points Randy, but our cause would be helped more if we won a playoff round. It will come no doubt, but I think there's still an awful lot of things that could happen before we start talking about a modern day (CBA era) dynasty.

No doubt.

Moving cost-controlled young talent with upside for guys like friggin Petry though isn't going to move the needle.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Well thought out proposal by the OP.

I wouldn't make the trade but it's not horrible. I'd rather keep the young guys.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don't think it's a viable move without some dancing, really just an oblique way of agreeing with this

Kapanen+Sandin is 1st+2nd away from the deal that landed (late) prime Pronger for 4 seasons.

You mean the 35 years old Pronger? Anyway Habs no use at all for Kapanen. He’s a good player but no interest to us.

He’s not a throw in, just not a need for the Habs. It’s like offering a young C to Toronto for a D. Just not a fit

member 300185

This trade may be idiotic but in what world does a two-way, ~55-60 point RHD who can defend and hit with terms only be worth a late first or a recent (25-31) draft pick? Petry can do it all, only cost 5.5M and is RHD.
....and is 31.

member 300185

Bottom line is that the Habs would never move their 2nd best D man while pushing like they are right now. And, that package is just moronic.

When you consider the players ages going each way, then the potential that Kappy and Sandin are showing in each league respectively.

Nylander for Parayko straight up.

Reactions: Mork

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Habs fan here.

While Petry appears to have had a great season and some 50 points in his last 82 consecutive games, look up his turnover stats. He's top ten in the league. I think on a team that is already deep on D but is looking for that top 4 guy to put them over the edge, he's a playoff asset. With the Leafs, I think just Kapanen straight up would be a solid return for the Habs. That would round out their top 6 and give Drouin and Domi an equally talented winger.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Leafs wouldn't trade Sandin at this point unless in a package for a legit top pairing defenseman. Petry is just not that defenseman. Kapanen and a less significant + is more in the ballpark.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Petry will never play this good again. You do not buy when his value is this high. This reeks of a trade for 37 year-old RA Dickey.

Reactions: Mork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad