Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
But in Mo's mind, he's the one he "couldn't beat". Either way, silly to argue semantics. Neither of us has a bug in Mo's ear LOL
Very true and now that i think about it Ortiz had more opportunities to face Rivera. Does anyone remember Martinez playing 3rd base? I was around 10 years old when Seattle had johnson,arod,buhner,griffey jr and dont really remember it. Was Edgar playing 3rd akin to Ortiz's playing 1st?

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Mariano being the first unanimous is a little bit ridiculous. There’s no argument to be made that he’s even close to the most valuable player ever.

Probably has more to do with weeding out the trash voters than anything though.

Schilling and Bonds need to make it next year.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Mets signed reliever Justin Williams to a 2 year deal worth $ 10 million.

from tsn.ca:

The New York Mets have agreed to a deal with lefty reliever Justin Wilson on a two-year, $10 million deal according to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.

The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal adds that the deal is pending a physical.

Wilson went 4-5 last season with the Chicago Cubs, pitching to an earned run average of 3.46. He had 69 strikeouts in just shy of 55 innings in 2018.

Prior to his time on the North Side of Chicago, Wilson spent time with the Detroit Tigers, New York Yankees and Pittsburgh Pirates.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Very true and now that i think about it Ortiz had more opportunities to face Rivera. Does anyone remember Martinez playing 3rd base? I was around 10 years old when Seattle had johnson,arod,buhner,griffey jr and dont really remember it. Was Edgar playing 3rd akin to Ortiz's playing 1st?
Towards the end of his days with Seattle it was similar to Ortiz in that he DH'ed more often than he played 3rd. When he first made the team in 1989 though he was their starting 3rd baseman. If I'm remembering correctly, I believe it was somewhere around 93/94ish when he started doing the DH thing more often than playing 3rd. Or that was the season he got hurt that brought that change on. One or the other. Too long ago to remember and too lazy to look it up LOL

Reactions: Top Shelf Wrister

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Mets signed reliever Justin Williams to a 2 year deal worth $ 10 million.

from tsn.ca:

The New York Mets have agreed to a deal with lefty reliever Justin Wilson on a two-year, $10 million deal according to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.

The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal adds that the deal is pending a physical.

Wilson went 4-5 last season with the Chicago Cubs, pitching to an earned run average of 3.46. He had 69 strikeouts in just shy of 55 innings in 2018.

Prior to his time on the North Side of Chicago, Wilson spent time with the Detroit Tigers, New York Yankees and Pittsburgh Pirates.

My Mets have a nice pen on paper.

Diaz
Familia
Lugo
Gsellman
Wilson

Reactions: CDJ

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
See Lou, that's the problem. If you let Tony Perez in then Jim Rice belongs. And if you let Harold Baines in, then player x belongs. And so on. It's why I always hate when they let in a player that isn't universally recognized as one of the best in their eras. It's the HOF. It's really easy to say who is a special player or not. Mussina was a good player. He was really good. But he wasn't special. He was simply just good for a long period of time. And him being there waters the hall of fame down because now a slew of similar players get to use him as their barometer for getting in.

Steve Garvey not there is a crime .Only 1 of 2 guys in history to win Allstar game mvp (Mays)twice.Won WS and like 10 × Allstar.

Last edited:

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Steve Garvey not there is a crime .Only 1 of 2 guys in history to win Allstar game mvp (Mays)twice.Won WS and like 10 × Allstar.

If the guiding principle regarding the hall of fame is that it’s a numbers game, I don’t see how he deserves to be there.

Only 272 HRs
1300 rbis
.294 BA
OBP in the .330 range
OPS around .775

Not enough average to offset the lack of power, not enough power to offset non-extraordinary average.

Real good player but falls short on his stats, unfortunately.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
If winning the All-Star game MVP is factored into HOF voting as anything beyond a "oh that's also nice he did that" measure, then the voter's criteria are flawed. I think Garvey was a terrific player, and with a guy like Harold Baines in, maybe he qualifies, but that's the problem with having put Baines in.

Also, Gary Carter won the AS MVP in '81 and '84, which would make three. Cal Ripken in '91 and '01 brings us to four. And Mike Trout in '14 and '15 makes five people who've won the AS game MVP twice. All of them were/are far better baseball players than Steve Garvey.

Reactions: LSCII

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So Betts is going to strip all Sox logos and colors off his equipment, move to a bunker in Colorado Springs, and take a year off? :naughty:
miKeuEJS_400x400.jpg

Reactions: Pay Carl and LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad