MLB Advanced Media to take control of NHL Video , NHL Network and team websites

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This could mean the end of You Tube channels like dafomie's :cry:

The news of the partnership was initially met with some concern that the partnership could put an end to the growing community of in-game GIFs on social media (which could cost some people their part-time gigs) and YouTube videos, but MLB’s strict policy on footage is their’s, rather than BAM’s. Because the NHL owns the rights, they would make the decision on whether such content could continue to be posted.

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...over-nhl-web-operations-apps-streaming-video/

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
MLB is desperately looking for... something... here. Not sure what.

I'm not sure why the NHL is associating with the MLB. If you want money go with the NFL.

And I will be pissed if the MLB tries to interfere with our sport and our highlights.

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
I don't think the NHL would change their YouTube policy (or at least I seriously hope not). They already don't get coverage on ESPN and the MLB subscription service isn't exactly killing it in the under-30 demographic.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
MLB is desperately looking for... something... here. Not sure what.

I'm not sure why the NHL is associating with the MLB. If you want money go with the NFL.

And I will be pissed if the MLB tries to interfere with our sport and our highlights.

From different sources MLB will PAY the NHL for the rights which adds to HRR.

MLBAM is the leader in real time streaming of events as they handle customers like ESPN and HBO. This is a win for the NHL.

MLB takes a hard approach on You Tube clips - they let some things go but not much ( see NESN Pizza for example )

NHL approach on You Tube has been unpredictable. They have gone after users like Captain Canada but let Hockey Fights continue.

Dafoomie is our best source for Bruins clips on You Tube and has been left alone but he will not even bother uploading a Red Sox clip as he knows MLB will put in a claim.
If the NHL is giving video rights to MLBAM it doesn't bode well for hockey videos on YT.

member 96824

I know nothing is set in stone, but ughhhh.

Why? This is a very good thing. MLB is American Pharoh ahead of NHL in terms of video, streaming, and overall digital presence.

If the NHL killed gifs and youtube videos it would have nothing to do with MLBAM and everything to do with the NHL. MLBAM runs HBO and yet you can still find True Detective, Entourage, and The Wire youtube videos and gifs anywhere on the internet.

NHL is smart enough to know they aren't popular enough to pull digital content from the web when they're trying to grow. Anyone who uses gamecenter should be dancing in the streets over this news.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I hope this improves watching NHL games live(Game center) in Finland/Europe.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Why? This is a very good thing. MLB is American Pharoh ahead of NHL in terms of video, streaming, and overall digital presence.

If the NHL killed gifs and youtube videos it would have nothing to do with MLBAM and everything to do with the NHL. MLBAM runs HBO and yet you can still find True Detective, Entourage, and The Wire youtube videos and gifs anywhere on the internet.

NHL is smart enough to know they aren't popular enough to pull digital content from the web when they're trying to grow. Anyone who uses gamecenter should be dancing in the streets over this news.

The NHL went after Captain Canada and blocked many of his playoff highlights this year. There is no rhyme or reason to their mindset.

member 96824

The NHL went after Captain Canada and blocked many of his playoff highlights this year. There is no rhyme or reason to their mindset.

I'm sure there is much more to the story.

But either way, I don't expect a wide spread shut down because they've outsourced to someone that does a much better job than they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad