Player Discussion Mitch Marner - It’s all his fault

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yeah, it is because of that thing you just made up.

No, it consisted of rumors and speculation which may or may not have had validity.
I made up stats and the NHL published them? And made up a play and Bertuzzi and Marner acted it out for me to create a video of it and publish it on YouTube? Damn I have crazy amount of pull.

Reactions: Arzak

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I made up stats and the NHL published them? And made up a play and Bertuzzi and Marner acted it out for me to create a video of it and publish it on YouTube? Damn I have crazy amount of pull.
Really? I only knew that you made up "the reason ufas aren't interested in the pitch "you can play with Marner"" I guess if you can fool TSN as you claim ( I am extremely skeptical of that), more power to you.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
So if it’s you do you move for 92 million (13x7) or stay for 88 million and play for your home team which also happens to be the team you were a lifelong fan of?

And keep in mind you get as much as possible upfront as signing bonus from us, something very few if any other team does.
If it was me I would stay for 10 , probably less, because I would have more money then I could ever spend, even before that deal. I would be seen as a hero for doing that. And the pressure would shift to Nylander and Matthews. And therefor I would play better, even when it counts the most. Worth more then the extra money you never will spend anyway.

Reactions: Confucius

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Still no buyers?

I have bag of pucks coming Leafs way, if they get rid of Mitch. Maybe we can have a collection?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well.. then.... we can satisfy both pace and actual points:

Domi 5vs5 - 36 total assists, 23 primary.
Marner 5v5 - 29 total assists, 19 primary

Domi mins with Matthews: 206
Marner mins with Matthews: 720

Total assists per/60(pace):
- Domi
2.23 total assists (2nd only to Mcdavid), 1.43 primary assists
- Marner
1.73 total assists, 1.13 primary assists

Max Domi blew Marner out of the water in both actual and pace, lets summarize:

- He paced more total assists and primary assists than Mitch Marner
- He had more actual total assists and primary assists than Mitch Marner.
- He had more assists despite 73% less minutes with Matthews compared to Marner.

If Marner is worth 12 million... I guess Domi took a massive discount on what shouldve been 15million?

Yes, Domi took a discount, nothing else.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I mean... Domi was pacing to blow Marners stats out of the water. Holmberg in his 90 mins with Matthews was too.

That’s actually not even factually true. Neither were and we both know that. Holmberg didn’t for sure, Domi’s numbers may be better than Marner’s it’s possible.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
With Drai still unsign, think it is wise to wait till Drai signs a contract before committing to a player with a huge contract in the faint hopes that McD will leave Oilers and join his home team like JT.
Ofcourse, this goes out the window if Drai renew with the Oilers.

Drai is no dummy, he's not leaving Connor. Sign a one year deal and then let Connor decide where Drai is going ;)

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Probably the players that we spend his 11 million on.
Or maybe some better defence , or better upgrades at some of the other positions because you know what Marners points have gotten us so far……1 playoff round in 8 years

The problem is there is no one left in UFA that is going to make your team better this season. You would have to wait until mid season or the following off season to utilize both the assets and cap space you got from a Marner trade. I’m not saying that you can’t replace him with better players. But the timing of a trade now would limit the teams ability to flip those assets immediately. We would be worse for at least a year before getting better.

No problem for me. If I don't engage people on the fourm, I might actually have to work. Besides, I don't care if Marner gets traded - whatever is best for the team!

Couldn’t agree more, if the right deal is there for any player the leafs should consider it. There shouldn’t be anyone who is untouchable.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Mitch fans should be blocked. It's a joke we have to deal with morons spamming these boards with Mitch propaganda.

Not a single mod that would say f*ck it, this is Leafs board, not let's all lobby for an extra $$$ for Mitch the Weakling Marner board.

All year long pretenders keep on replying, greed is strong with the Marner familly!

What does it say about someone when they can't tolerate an opposing opinion?

What does it say about someone when they are so binary in their though process, that the only possible people that could be debating the point is Marner fans and Marner haters? Perhaps some of us just see an ignorant myopic thought process and want to challenge it....

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
What does it say about someone when they can't tolerate an opposing opinion?

What does it say about someone when they are so binary in their though process, that the only possible people that could be debating the point is Marner fans and Marner haters? Perhaps some of us just see an ignorant myopic thought process and want to challenge it....

:DD

No such thing. We have his PR team actively rooting against Leafs.

Never responding to facts, straight to spam and name calling. It's against a plethora of rules on this board, yet Marner fans ( read Leafs haters) are still going strong!

Oh Marner hater, let's talk about haters instead of Mitch's abysmal performance. Because if we all praised this weakling he would show up in playoffs :D, or cost us half his current cap? Marner camp argument :D Oh and he was entitled to performance bonuses on ELC

Mental gymnastics, the only summer exercise for Marners :D

You can't think Marner is good for Leafs. But I agree, if you are camp hate Leafs, love Marner, he needs to stay and milk Leafs some more. We need more of that scared aura in playoffs.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
The problem is there is no one left in UFA that is going to make your team better this season. You would have to wait until mid season or the following off season to utilize both the assets and cap space you got from a Marner trade. I’m not saying that you can’t replace him with better players. But the timing of a trade now would limit the teams ability to flip those assets immediately. We would be worse for at least a year before getting better.

Couldn’t agree more, if the right deal is there for any player the leafs should consider it. There shouldn’t be anyone who is untouchable.
Marner gets a lot of prime ice time and prime pp time. There would also be an up tick in production from the current players that would be tasked with filling some of that ice time.

Ii don’t think he will be missed as much as some might think.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
For any wondering, Chris Johnston was on the SDP podcast yesterday and he said

-Management is scared to make a bad trade and very much worries about media or fan reactions. CJ uses the word scared numerous times in the episode when referring to managements handling of contracts
-They have internally discussed trading Marner but haven't approached him as they don't have a good offer on the table

Reactions: ToneDog

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
For any wondering, Chris Johnston was on the SDP podcast yesterday and he said

-Management is scared to make a bad trade and very much worries about media or fan reactions. CJ uses the word scared numerous times in the episode when referring to managements handling of contracts
-They have internally discussed trading Marner but haven't approached him as they don't have a good offer on the table

CJ and I say this with the utmost love in my heart, is full of shit.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
:DD

No such thing. We have his PR team actively rooting against Leafs.

Never responding to facts, straight to spam and name calling. It's against a plethora of rules on this board, yet Marner fans ( read Leafs haters) are still going strong!

Oh Marner hater, let's talk about haters instead of Mitch's abysmal performance. Because if we all praised this weakling he would show up in playoffs :D, or cost us half his current cap? Marner camp argument :D Oh and he was entitled to performance bonuses on ELC

Mental gymnastics, the only summer exercise for Marners :D

You can't think Marner is good for Leafs. But I agree, if you are camp hate Leafs, love Marner, he needs to stay and milk Leafs some more. We need more of that scared aura in playoffs.

You are an angry little fella, aren't you? Wanna a hug?

giphy.gif

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Marner gets a lot of prime ice time and prime pp time. There would also be an up tick in production from the current players that would be tasked with filling some of that ice time.

Ii don’t think he will be missed as much as some might think.

Is opportunity the only ingredient in scoring? Dont you need skill to see an uptick on your production? Marner's 65 assists a year go away and now Kampft is a 60 assist guy? McMann a 35 goal guy? Reaves a 2 goal guy? OK I got a little carried away with Reaves...

Not sure it's as easy cheesy lemon squeezy as you make it out to be.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Chris Johnston:
  • Surprised that they went this route again - it's not just the losing, but the predictable way they keep losing. It's the same every time.
  • Wonders if a lot of what was said at the end of season presser (about change) was just lip service to a marketplace that needed to hear that.
  • Mentions Keith Pelley said "he's not here to sell sweaters" - points out that nothing that they've done suggests they're about winning a cup.
  • Believes main reason why Canadian teams in general don't win cups, is because they don't need to - Leafs are top 3 in revenue every year. Successful regular season team, with guaranteed playoff gate revenue every year.
  • The Leafs didn't want to go to war with Marner
  • Marner's camp wasn't approached for a list of teams.
  • Guentzel got $9M on the open market - Marner is younger, and has outperformed Guentzel in the regular season, so predicts that Marner could get more than Guentzel on the market open
  • Doesn't know if he would get $2M more than Guentzel as a free agent though
  • Thinks Marner tries too hard. Cares too much.
  • Doesn't think the Leafs are afraid of him or his representatives, but are afraid of the market. Scared of losing a trade.
  • They've made moves this summer, but they haven't vastly changed what the team is.

Last edited:

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Chris Johnston:

• Doesn't think the Leafs are afraid of him or his representatives, but are afraid of the market. Scared of losing a trade.
  • They've made moves this summer, but they haven't vastly changed what the team is.

That must be it. Otherwise, he is superelite, rarely cries during hockey game.

He just tries too hard :DD:DD

What a novel way to spin Mitch around. He avoids trying in playoffs :D. He is not even close to you have to try hard in this area :D :D .

One last year and you'll see posters migrate in bunch. One last contract push from Greedy family

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
That must be it. Otherwise, he is superelite, rarely cries during hockey game.

He just tries too hard :DD:DD

What a novel way to spin Mitch around. He avoids trying in playoffs :D. He is not even close to you have to try hard in this area :D :D .

One last year and you'll see posters migrate in bunch. One last contract push from Greedy family
I do think there's some sense to that evaluation of his game - I don't doubt for a second that he cares or wants to win here, but he's just wound WAY too tight, and just doesn't look comfortable.

Reactions: ACC1224

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I do think there's some sense to that evaluation of his game - I don't doubt for a second that he cares or wants to win here, but he's just wound WAY too tight, and just doesn't look comfortable.
I agree with this. It's why I thought a change of scenery could do wonders for him.

Reactions: Tak7

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Chris Johnston:
  • Surprised that they went this route again - it's not just the losing, but the predictable way they keep losing. It's the same every time.
  • Wonders if a lot of what was said at the end of season presser (about change) was just lip service to a marketplace that needed to hear that.
  • Mentions Keith Pelley said "he's not here to sell sweaters" - points out that nothing that they've done suggests they're about winning a cup.
  • Believes main reason why Canadian teams in general don't win cups, is because they don't need to - Leafs are top 3 in revenue every year. Successful regular season team, with guaranteed playoff gate revenue every year.
  • The Leafs didn't want to go to war with Marner
  • Marner's camp wasn't approached for a list of teams.
  • Guentzel got $9M on the open market - Marner is younger, and has outperformed Guentzel in the regular season, so predicts that Marner could get more than Guentzel on the market open
  • Doesn't know if he would get $2M more than Guentzel as a free agent though
Pelley is going to look like the biggest fool if they run it back and the are punted in round #1. If he shows up to the exit presser, it will be with his tail tucked between his legs. Stick to golf bud. Stay away from team games.

So many unqualified suits in this organization but the one good thing is that the new coach is not one of them. This guy has driven the bus unlike the rest of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad