Mitch Marner Vs Brady Tkachuk for the future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which player do you take for the future?

• Neutral fan take Brady Tkachuk

Votes: 87 48.1%
  • Neutral fan take Mitch Marner

Votes: 40 22.1%
  • Ottawa fan take Brady Tkachuk

Votes: 23 12.7%
  • Ottawa fan take Mitch Marner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toronto fan take Brady Tkachuk

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Toronto fan take Mitch Marner

Votes: 19 10.5%

• Total voters

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It depends on the makeup of your team. Toronto has finesse and firepower, so Marner is more of the same. Swapping him for Tkachuk would improve their team, despite Marner being the better player. Kind of like how Chychrun wasn't a fit on Ottawa, so they traded him for an inferior player in Jensen as he is a much better fit. On the flipside, a team that has trouble scoring goals would probably benefit more from Marner distributing the puck as well as he does. He's one of the best point producers in the NHL, and while Tkachuks's skillset is more unique - Marner's isn't easy to come by either.

I think Sens fans would prefer to keep Tkachuk. I could be wrong (Leafs fans can chime in here) but I think Leafs fans would gladly swap Marner for Tkachuk. For this reason, I voted Tkachuk - but contract status plays a role and IDK if that's fiar as Marner is an upcoming UFA.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Marner is the better player, so there's no reason not to take him if you can get them on equal salaries and cap hits.
I wouldnt take Marner at even money he's soft perimeter and regresses in the playoffs. But he also makes way more money and doesnt add any leadership whatsoever.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Tkachuk, easily, and that really shouldn't be controversial at all.

Anything Marner can do, Tkachuk can do, on a 6ft4 beast of a frame.
Ok let’s not be ridiculous. Tkachuk can’t put up 90+ points and 65+ assists a year. Having said that he probably also won’t lay eggs in a series like Marner, he could considering he can’t even make it, but his style should be effective when he does.

Tkachuk is a beast of a power forward and good for ~75 points a year, that is incredibly valuable, but we are comparing different type of players so they have their own strengths and weaknesses

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Tkachuk, easily, and that really shouldn't be controversial at all.

Anything Marner can do, Tkachuk can do, on a 6ft4 beast of a frame.

Lol. That's just not true. I don't think Tkachuk has the puck skills or the vision or playmaking ability of Marner.

I wouldnt take Marner at even money he's soft perimeter and regresses in the playoffs. But he also makes way more money and doesnt add any leadership whatsoever.

Eh, I'm pretty disillusioned with Marner at this point, but the guy is consistently productive (in the regular season) and is pretty good defensively for a skilled player. I can understand preferring Tkachuk if you're a Sens fan, but we haven't seen what he can do in the playoffs yet.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Ok let’s not be ridiculous. Tkachuk can’t put up 90+ points and 65+ assists a year. Having said that he probably also won’t lay eggs in a series like Marner, he could considering he can’t even make it, but his style should be effective when he does.

Tkachuk is a beast of a power forward and good for ~75 points a year, that is incredibly valuable, but we are comparing different type of players so they have their own strengths and weaknesses
Lol. That's just not true. I don't think Tkachuk has the puck skills or the vision or playmaking ability of Marner.
Tkachuk isn't lacking in the puck skills department, and definitely has the better shot over Marner. Tkachuk should hit 40 goals this year.

Tkachuk is actually a very underrated passer and is typically the guy setting up his teammates on his line with Stutzle and Giroux. Sure, Tkachuk might not have the "dipsy-doodles" that Marner demonstrates, but I find those are more flash than actual results with Marner, and he routinely flubs them when it comes to actually burying the puck. Tkachuk isn't lacking in the ability to deke someone out of their joke strap either mind you.

Marner plays an extra two minutes per game over Tkachuk, which definitely helps with Marner's point totals. All the while too Marner has been playing on a (much) stronger team over the course of their respective careers, so I'm not putting that much weight into the discrepancy between their point totals, at least, over the last couple of years.

Is Marner more creative? Sure, but I don't know how much it actually benefits his effectiveness. It sure feels like he is a little TOO creative out there half the time, and that it impacts his chemistry with his linemates.

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
With contracts, Tkachuk.
Without contracts, Marner.

If Marner was making 8 mill the discussion around him would be very different.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Tkachuk isn't lacking in the puck skills department, and definitely has the better shot over Marner. Tkachuk should hit 40 goals this year.

Tkachuk is actually a very underrated passer and is typically the guy setting up his teammates on his line with Stutzle and Giroux. Sure, Tkachuk might not have the "dipsy-doodles" that Marner demonstrates, but I find those are more flash than actual results with Marner, and he routinely flubs them when it comes to actually burying the puck. Tkachuk isn't lacking in the ability to deke someone out of their joke strap either mind you.

Marner plays an extra two minutes per game over Tkachuk, which definitely helps with Marner's point totals. All the while too Marner has been playing on a (much) stronger team over the course of their respective careers, so I'm not putting that much weight into the discrepancy between their point totals, at least, over the last couple of years.

Is Marner more creative? Sure, but I don't know how much it actually benefits his effectiveness. It sure feels like he is a little TOO creative out there half the time, and that it impacts his chemistry with his linemates.
Marner is the better playmaker, there is no debate there, he is a top 10 forward in terms of playmaking. Tkachuk is maybe top 60? Just look at the passes they make that result in goals and the ones that they make which results in chances.

As for goal scoring, that goes to tkachuk since I think he hasn't peaked in terms of goalscoring and agree with the 40 goal prediction, but it's closer than you think. In the past 3 years, marner has 91 in 221 and Tkachuk has 102 in 242, so 11 less goals in 21 less games.

over those three years the linemates for marner are Matthews/Tavares and Bunting/Jarnkrok/Knies vs Girioux and Stutzle which I gather from your post. Marner has the advantage but lets not act like tkachuk is playing beside some bums.

As for ice time, marner spent 143 of his 1468 minutes on the pk as opposed to tkachuks 4 minutes. Take those out and marner plays maybe 10 more seconds a game, so not much going on. In fact one could argue this hurts marner as he has to exhert his energy on playing in a defensive role for those two minutes and exhaust himself on that side of the ice.

So again no, tkachuk doesn't do everything marner does. Marner is the better playmaker, and the better pker.

Reactions: SensontheRush

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Marner played 19:50 per game
Tkachuk played 18:20 per game

The difference in time on ice? The 1:26 Marner played per game on the penalty kill.

Tkachuk actually had a higher per game of power play time.

Stop lying.
I went by Dobber Sports which has Marner at 21:17mins in 23-24, and Tkachuk at 19:09mins in 23-24.

Fair enough point about PK time, which is still ice time where one can produce, though it seems Marner only had one point short-handed last year.

Calling me a liar just looks bad on you.

Reactions: bert

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't see a legitimate argument for Brady.

It's not offense he's never outscored Marner.

It's not defense Marner has been up for the Selke.

It's not playoff numbers because While Marner's aren't great they at least exist.

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Marner is the better playmaker, there is no debate there, he is a top 10 forward in terms of playmaking. Tkachuk is maybe top 60? Just look at the passes they make that result in goals and the ones that they make which results in chances.

As for goal scoring, that goes to tkachuk since I think he hasn't peaked in terms of goalscoring and agree with the 40 goal prediction, but it's closer than you think. In the past 3 years, marner has 91 in 221 and Tkachuk has 102 in 242, so 11 less goals in 21 less games.

over those three years the linemates for marner are Matthews/Tavares and Bunting/Jarnkrok/Knies vs Girioux and Stutzle which I gather from your post. Marner has the advantage but lets not act like tkachuk is playing beside some bums.

As for ice time, marner spent 143 of his 1468 minutes on the pk as opposed to tkachuks 4 minutes. Take those out and marner plays maybe 10 more seconds a game, so not much going on. In fact one could argue this hurts marner as he has to exhert his energy on playing in a defensive role for those two minutes and exhaust himself on that side of the ice.

So again no, tkachuk doesn't do everything marner does. Marner is the better playmaker, and the better pker.
Good post.

When I say Tkachuk can do anything that Marner can do, I mean Tkachuk can fill in Marner's role (perhaps not on the PK, though as you can see that really hasn't ever been explored with him) as the playmaker on a line and do it close to as effectively as Marner can. Tkachuk is a great setup man, and has great vision for setting up plays at a 1st line level. Whereas Marner just simply cannot replace and fill in the role that Tkachuk brings as far as physicality and his "intangibles". Tkachuk frequently starts a game targeting a specific player with a big hit and ending their night early in the 1st period.

There is an aspect of diminished returns IMO, where how much does Marner being that much better as a playmaker than Tkachuk truly benefit his linemates? We aren't talking about McDavid here, who's ability elevates everyone extraordinarily.

This is without exploring how the Leafs game plan revolves around other players digging for and retrieving pucks FOR Marner to work his magic, rather than the other way around.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Marner has a few warts but is a top 10 winger and elite defensively. Brady hasn't done anything. Career high 83 points while watching the puck go into his own net every night but hey he hits sometimes. Wonder why they can't ever make the playoffs

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Tkachuk for me. Brady is younger, signed to a decent contract, and I think his play style is more effective over the course of a playoff run.

Marner regularly disappears in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad