Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I provided you with comments by Ferris where states negotiations took place and that Marner being lowballed led to “this point” (postponed negotiations after the playoffs).
You are being intellectually dishonest if you believe no negotiations took place.
I didn't say no negotiations took place. I said the claimed Marner offer is fake, which it is.
Ferris cries lowball at everything, and both Marner and Ferris himself backtracked on that report the very next day, and contradict your claim.

"The next day, Marner was distancing himself from those comments."

"Ferris said the Leafs tabled a low offer last summer, but added that's standard practice at that time of year.

"I think that was taken out of context," Ferris said, referring to the story from Tuesday. "This was a discussion that was about the summer ... where offers are low, which is a normal course of business.

"Since that event, there's been discussions, there's been positive dialogue. We weren't far off when we left and we last ended on a positive note. Everything was good and we agreed, 'Hey, let's wait until the end of the season."'

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I provided you with comments by Ferris where states negotiations took place and that Marner being lowballed led to “this point” (postponed negotiations after the playoffs).

You are being intellectually dishonest when suggesting no negotiations took place prior to Matthews signing.
What makes it even more hilarious is that poster was completely adamant those offer sheets were real in the 2019 offseason too.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
As they should. The guy is a very good player despite criticisms (warranted criticisms mind).

He has screwed the team over in contract negotiations, alongside Matthews, but he is still worth signing vs. losing him for free or trading him and not getting back that much value in a package for a bonafide regular-season superstar.

The sad thing is that running back Mat/Mar/Nyl is actually the most logical thing to do, barring getting a great package for Mitch.
Most logical only because they clearly don't have the balls for a culture change, are blinded by their own confirmation bias and can't stomach risking taking one step back to take the necessary 3-4 steps forward to actually winning.

Jun 27, 2005
Why was marner worth 8.5 after a 69 point season? I've been asking you this question for years and you never respond. But you keep bringing it up. Any comparables?

And you probably won't get an answer.
It was because in January he finally got away from Bozak and started playing with Kadri and Marleau where he played at a 93 point pace and a 100 point pace in his last 26 games. How can you people post so often and not remember these basic things.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
It was because in January he finally got away from Bozak and started playing with Kadri and Marleau where he played at a 93 point pace and a 100 point pace in his last 26 games. How can you people post so often and not remember these basic things.
Pace isn't the same thing as reality lol. It was still a bad contract based on comparable players at the time.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Why was marner worth 8.5 after a 69 point season? I've been asking you this question for years and you never respond. But you keep bringing it up. Any comparables?

You can argue he was trending better than Draisaitl and he signed for 8.5 after his third year (77 points).

Although, Draisaitl was considered overpaid at the time.

I think Marner after year two and 69 points would be worth the Draisaitl contract (if we are using it as a comparison).

Not a perfect comparison obviously, but just the first one that came to my head.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Jun 27, 2005
Pace isn't the same thing as reality lol. It was still a bad contract based on comparable players at the time.
The reality is that he didn't take the deal, bet on himself and actually got 94 points the next season while leading the team in scoring.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

It is for sure used in negotiations...

Do you think in negotiations the quality of linemates or pace is not brought up?

I will be shocked if people think negotiations are just based on points and nothing else, it just seems like a lazy argument.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
As they should. The guy is a very good player despite criticisms (warranted criticisms mind).

He has screwed the team over in contract negotiations, alongside Matthews, but he is still worth signing vs. losing him for free or trading him and not getting back that much value in a package for a bonafide regular-season superstar.

The sad thing is that running back Mat/Mar/Nyl is actually the most logical thing to do, barring getting a great package for Mitch.
Hope not. Don’t really want to be the San Jose Sharks part 2 while waiting for their contracts to end to become the current San Jose Sharks.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Lebrun on Overdrive today making it sound like Marner is not a likelihood at least until late summer.

Gotta get past the free agency period where teams who miss out of scoring options realize MM may be on the table.
And once all of the top ufas are gone the Leafs will have 11m in cap space for nothing. Great plan.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Immanuel Quickly signing for 175M for 5 years on the Raptors. God our sport is niche. This is like the Elias Lindholm of the NBA.

Anyways, the draft tonight officially kicks off common trades season

Edit - Wrong thread. Ah well

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Every player has hot stretches during the season. Is this some revolutionary thing to you? It doesn't matter what year you choose, he got paid far more than his comparable/superiors (Rantanen being the the most similar situation).

8.5 still would have only put him a mere $750K below Rantanen.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I can see that to an extent, but Marleau's $6.25x3 wasn't anywhere near as bad as Tavares' $11x7. JT's was more than four times the size.

And 4x the player...

One is currently a 2nd line C at the end of his contract, the other was a 4th line LW at the end of his.

There will always be overpayments on the team... I can't think of a single team without an overpayment.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It is for sure used in negotiations...

Do you think in negotiations the quality of linemates or pace is not brought up?

I will be shocked if people think negotiations are just based on points and nothing else, it just seems like a lazy argument.

Says the guy who thinks McDavid (who broke Gretzky's assist record) was the 7th best player in the playoffs. :)

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I almost wamt Marner to come back just for the shit show it would create.

Marner, if you're reading this, get it through your thick skull: We don't want you here anymore. It's time to pack.your things and go.

If you're still on the team next year fans ARE gonna boo you.

It'll be sweet music to my ears too. Better than that song by The Beatles that everyone likes. I'll even sing along at home by booing the tv.

If you don't like it we don't care.

That's the whole point of booing. To let the player being booed know he's not welcome on the team anymore. Because apparently just reading about it in the papers isn't enough.

Some people gonna pee on the electric fence anyway despite being warned not to.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Says the guy who thinks McDavid (who broke Gretzky's assist record) was the 7th best player in the playoffs. :)

Your reading comprehension is that of a 5-year-old.

The poster I responded to was saying Marner was 77th best in the league because he was 77th in goals, so I said based on his criteria, McDavid would be the 7th best player this playoffs.

Goals are all that matters?

They messed up the Conn Smythe this year, McDavid was the 7th best player.

Here is the post you are referencing.

I refuse to believe you are this dumb and don't comprehend this post, so I assume you are doing it intentionally which may be worse.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I didn't say no negotiations took place. I said the claimed Marner offer is fake, which it is.
Ferris cries lowball at everything, and both Marner and Ferris himself backtracked on that report the very next day, and contradict your claim.

"The next day, Marner was distancing himself from those comments."

"Ferris said the Leafs tabled a low offer last summer, but added that's standard practice at that time of year.

"I think that was taken out of context," Ferris said, referring to the story from Tuesday. "This was a discussion that was about the summer ... where offers are low, which is a normal course of business.

"Since that event, there's been discussions, there's been positive dialogue. We weren't far off when we left and we last ended on a positive note. Everything was good and we agreed, 'Hey, let's wait until the end of the season."'

He had no choice to backtrack on his very public criticism of MLSE and the negotiations to that point.

As I said no specific amounts were revealed in his interview. But his lowball comments says a lot.

From what I recall, Bob McKenzie speculated that the number being asked was 8m+ to 9m+ but MLSE wanted lower.

It’s speculation, but it seems plausible that was the ask from Ferris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad