Value of: Mitch Marner next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
My 2 cents

Matthews is 8 years at 9.5-11M

Nylander and Marner are both 8 years at 6-6.75M

They won't take 8 years at that price. Maybe either 3 years to keep RFA status or 5 years to buy 1 UFA year.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
They have no choice. Matthews wants UFA asap he signs an offer sheet. I really do not think he wants to play in Canada more than he is required to.

If a team throws him 9m x 5 years Leafs match.

He will not repeat last years output.

I am betting marner averages a 20/30 guy. Teams now know how to play him. He is an absolute smurf.

People spouted the same idiocy about McDavid & Edmonton.

Regarding Marner. You're way out to lunch.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They have no choice. Matthews wants UFA asap he signs an offer sheet. I really do not think he wants to play in Canada more than he is required to.

If a team throws him 9m x 5 years Leafs match.

He will not repeat last years output.

I am betting marner averages a 20/30 guy. Teams now know how to play him. He is an absolute smurf.

Do you really think the Leafs will allow Matthews to reach RFA status? no he's getting signed a year out just like Mcdavid was and he's getting qn 8 year deal just like Mcdavid did.

He won't quite get Mcdavid money because he's not Mcdavid but he IS the franchise and he's not going ANYWHERE

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
If he really is what Leaf fans think he is then he probably gets the Tarasenko deal with a small + for salary cap inflation. That’s make it 8 years X $7.5 – $8.0 million, he needs to keep improving over the next couple years to get there though.

NHLPA*

Jul 26, 2017
It all has to do with Leafs' fans overvaluing their players and not understanding young American kids aren't dying to play in Toronto. Matthews has already demonstrated he will take the money as opposed to playing where is best for him. That's why he played his draft year in Europe, money.

So no chance in hell he takes any deal that consumes UFA years.

Using McDavid as a sample well you just proved my point. McDavid got as close to the max as humanly possibly.

If a team offers him 13.5mx5 years the Leafs are not matching it. Unfortunately for Toronto he will be a Coyote.

His RFA years are going to align with the rebuild in Arizona so perfectly. They already have all the good young players they need. Giving up 4 1st round draft picks to be a legit contender is a fair price.

Marner...

What a joke. He scored 19 goals last year and everybody was like OMG he is amazing!!! Wait a second. Sam Bennett scored 18 goals in his rookie year but he's considered a bust.

Well let's just examine this closer.

Sam Bennett is built like a hockey player should be. Has played his career getting 3rd and 4th line minutes. His numbers have suffered from playing with career 3rd/4th liners such as Chiasson and Brouwer. Marner plays 1/2/3 minutes with time on the PP all while getting decent offensive zone faceoffs.

Fact is. Marner is a smurf. Look at the pictures from the Blue Jays game. Where he threw out the first pitch. The commentators even said, he looks like a bat boy.

He lacks arm strength, has little chicken legs and has no core strength. He is just not built to be a 25-30G scorer. He is going to be a 15-20G guy a year BUT.

HE IS NOT SOME SUPERSTAR or ELITE as Leaf's fans like to say.

Gaudreau is likely highest skill undersized player in the league. Other teams slowed him down considerably this year. It is not going to be any different when Marner is forced to play against tougher competition.

He is still a great player, but he is not some elite player like TO fans like to think he is. Giving him anything more than the 6.3M Mackinnon got would be a huge mistake.

Maybe just maybe stop over valuing your players. They all played 1 season. Nobody knows if they will be better or worse next year. If NHL history dictates anything 1/3 will be slightly better than last year and 2/3 will noticeably regress. I just love how Leaf's fans are penciling in Matthews for 40-50g and Nylander for 30G+.

I wil say it right now.

Sam Bennett scores more goals than Nylander this year playing 2nd line minutes with time on the #2 PP.

Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland.

A #2 line that would give any NHL team nightmares. I am not going to be shocked if Bennett scores 35 goals and ends up the year as our #1 center.

Fact is the only Elite player Toronto has is Matthews and then there is a sharp drop off from there. Yet Leaf's fans thing they are Stanley Cup contenders. It's so laughable.

mitch-marner-first-pitch-jays.jpg

I'm not joking. The 12 year old bat boy looks more physically mature. Gaurdreau has proven he can take the hits. Has marner? Gaudreau has elite skill when it comes to skating and stick handling to evade the majority of these big hits. It's what makes him such a special player. If anything Marner is the poor mans Gaudreau.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It all has to do with Leafs' fans overvaluing their players and not understanding young American kids aren't dying to play in Toronto. Matthews has already demonstrated he will take the money as opposed to playing where is best for him. That's why he played his draft year in Europe, money.

Using McDavid as a sample well you just proved my point. McDavid got as close to the max as humanly possibly.

If a team offers him 13.5mx5 years the Leafs are not matching it. Unfortunately for Toronto he will be a Coyote.

His RFA years are going to align with the rebuild in Arizona so perfectly. They already have all the good young players they need. Giving up 4 1st round draft picks to be a legit contender is a fair price.

Marner...

What a joke. He scored 19 goals last year and everybody was like OMG he is amazing!!! Wait a second. Sam Bennett scored 18 goals in his rookie year but he's considered a bust.

Sam Bennett is built like a hockey player should be. Has played his career getting 3rd and 4th line minutes. His numbers have suffered from playing with career 3rd/4th liners such as Chiasson and Brouwer. Marner plays 1/2/3 minutes with time on the PP all while getting decent offensive zone faceoffs.

Fact is. Marner is a smurf. Look at the pictures from the Blue Jays game. Where he threw out the first pitch. The commentators even said, he looks like a bat boy.

He lacks arm strength, has little chicken legs and has no core strength. He is just not built to be a 25-30G scorer. He is going to be a 15-20G guy a year BUT.

Gaudreau is likely highest skill undersized player in the league. Other teams slowed him down considerably this year. It is not going to be any different when Marner is forced to play against tougher competition.

He is still a great player, but he is not some elite player like TO fans like to think he is. Giving him anything more than the 6.3M Mackinnon got would be a huge mistake.

Maybe just maybe stop over valuing your players. They all played 1 season. Nobody knows if they will be better or worse next year. If NHL history dictates anything 1/3 will be slightly better than last year and 2/3 will noticeably regress. I just love how Leaf's fans are penciling in Matthews for 40-50g and Nylander for 30G+.

I wil say it right now.

Sam Bennett scores more goals than Nylander this year playing 2nd line minutes with time on the #2 PP.

A #2 line that would give any NHL team nightmares. I am not going to be shocked if Bennett scores 35 goals and ends up the year as our #1 center.

Fact is the only Elite player Toronto has is Matthews and then there is a sharp drop off from there. Yet Leaf's fans thing they are Stanley Cup contenders. It's so laughable.

I'm not joking. The 12 year old bat boy looks more physically mature. Gaurdreau has proven he can take the hits. Has marner? Gaudreau has elite skill when it comes to skating and stick handling to evade the majority of these big hits. It's what makes him such a special player. If anything Marner is the poor mans Gaudreau.

Sam Bennett never scored 60+ points as a rookie, Marner did, and he missed 5 games with Mono

you can't compare the two

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto

So he went to Europe for the money (and didnt stay in the US to develop) for the money. Yet hes gonna leave Toronto where he'll earn way more than he would in Phoenix, to go "home"...to one of the worst hockey markets in the NHL...

Also, no team is going to have a chance to sign him to a 13.5m x 5...it'll never get to that point. Unless its 7 or so years from now :laugh:

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

Marner...

I wil say it right now.

As a sens fan I know your full of well.... Marner will improve and he's 6'0 170 pounds kane is 5"11 177 pounds. you don't need to be 200+ pounds.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
LOL @ ^^ not factoring in assets for Marner who is a playmaker...

I'll be honest. Matthews will not take a discount. He'll get at least 8.5, likely 9.5 or 10.

Nylander is probably the same.

Marner IMO, strikes me as a guy to take a team friendly deal to keep the "core" together. Not like 3m AAV, but I think he'll be worth 7.5 and might take 6 long term. He's a character guy, grew up a Leaf fan, loves being here, loves the city, it's his home, and his experience this far has been positive.

NHLPA*

Jul 26, 2017
So he went to Europe for the money (and didnt stay in the US to develop) for the money. Yet hes gonna leave Toronto where he'll earn way more than he would in Phoenix, to go "home"...to one of the worst hockey markets in the NHL...

Also, no team is going to have a chance to sign him to a 13.5m x 5...it'll never get to that point. Unless its 7 or so years from now :laugh:

LOL yes it will get to that point.

You have one of the worst GMs in the league when it comes to properly valuing players. Lou is wrong GM for your future.

How is he going to earn more in Toronto?

Please tell me this?

He'll pay less taxes in Arizona. He will definitely get substantially more endorsement deals being a local celebrity in not just Arizona, but the entire South Western USA.

It has nothing to do with being a rich or poor market team anymore. You see because of league wide revenue sharing the Maple Leafs are likely giving Arizona 10M a year in revenue sharing. Ironically enough, Toronto would be paying Matthews' salary to play in Arizona.

The kid is greedy. He took the cash instead of playing where it made more sense.

You think a greedy kid is going to be ok taking Tarasenko money? He is going to ask for McDavid money if he is putting up point totals that are even remotely close.

It's ironic all Leaf's fans want to see him score 40+ again next year. Doing so would put you on the hook to a 12-13M contract demand.

Arizona can easily afford it. Their team has the talent where they will be contenders in the next 3-5 years. Poor market teams have a way of becoming mainstream in their market by having a few good years and building a proper fan base.

LA, Anaheim and San Jose used to all be poor markets. Heck do you realize Dallas still is a poor market? Dallas has to be one of the worst markets in the league but many people do not realize it. Dallas has just as tough a time drawing fans as Arizona does.

What they have though........

American markets in warm climates with lower taxes and substantially less media attention.

The Oilers paid McDavid to stay giving him a max deal.

Matthews will be no different. You want UFA years, you pay the MAX.

Lou will not so he will be playing in Arizona, Philly, NYR and even MTL would pony up the picks and cash.

NHLPA*

Jul 26, 2017
LOL @ ^^ not factoring in assets for Marner who is a playmaker...

I'll be honest. Matthews will not take a discount. He'll get at least 8.5, likely 9.5 or 10.

Nylander is probably the same.

Marner IMO, strikes me as a guy to take a team friendly deal to keep the "core" together. Not like 3m AAV, but I think he'll be worth 7.5 and might take 6 long term. He's a character guy, grew up a Leaf fan, loves being here, loves the city, it's his home, and his experience this far has been positive.

Again, get in touch with reality. If Matthews puts up 85 points this year his ask is at a minimum 12M. It tells a story that he is much closer to McDavid than he is to the rest of the pack.

Heck maybe Edmonton should make an offer sheet at 12M for Matthews. Matthews+ McDavid would be a 1st line worth watching. Sure they'd have no salary cap for anybody else but what a 1st line.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
LOL yes it will get to that point.

You have one of the worst GMs in the league when it comes to properly valuing players. Lou is wrong GM for your future.

How is he going to earn more in Toronto?

Please tell me this?

He'll pay less taxes in Arizona. He will definitely get substantially more endorsement deals being a local celebrity in not just Arizona, but the entire South Western USA.

It has nothing to do with being a rich or poor market team anymore. You see because of league wide revenue sharing the Maple Leafs are likely giving Arizona 10M a year in revenue sharing. Ironically enough, Toronto would be paying Matthews' salary to play in Arizona.

We own his rights for 6 more years...so no, nobody will be able to offer him anything until then (unless youre stupid enough to think anyone is going to use an offer sheet?).

And you actually think hes gonna make more in endorsements in southern US over the biggest hockey market in the NHL? You really are ignorant.

Next year he'll get an 8 year, $11 million deal and laugh all the way to the bank...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Again, get in touch with reality. If Matthews puts up 85 points this year his ask is at a minimum 12M. It tells a story that he is much closer to McDavid than he is to the rest of the pack.

Heck maybe Edmonton should make an offer sheet at 12M for Matthews. Matthews+ McDavid would be a 1st line worth watching. Sure they'd have no salary cap for anybody else but what a 1st line.

There is no precedent for that and he is a RFA. For every player who cashed in there is a player who took a discount or is under paid.

Anyways I don't really care. If Matthews is so good that he deserves to make just under McDavid then I'll gladly have the Leafs sign him to get to watch him play through his prime on the Leafs.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
There is no way that Marner gets just 6.5 if he repeats or adds to last year's performance.

If he adds to the performance you could see 8-8.5 if he repeats maybe 7.5

I agree with this. He is already priced him self out of a the 6m range.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
We own his rights for 6 more years...so no, nobody will be able to offer him anything until then (unless youre stupid enough to think anyone is going to use an offer sheet?).

And you actually think hes gonna make more in endorsements in southern US over the biggest hockey market in the NHL? You really are ignorant.

Next year he'll get an 8 year, $11 million deal and laugh all the way to the bank...

The guy clearly has some deep seeded emotional issues when it comes to anything leafs related. Comes across as really unhealthy. No one is going to get anything across to him so I'm not sure why people try.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Too early to say, with only one season under his belt, not to mention the market could change a bit. This thread is one year too soon.

NHLPA*

Jul 26, 2017
So lets get this right.

Marner who is a smurf and less talented in every way compared to Gaudreau is going to get more than Gaudreau....

Marner is not worth more than Monahan, Barkov or Mackinnon. He is a 5.75m-6.25m player.

Certainly I do hope the leafs are stupid enough to pay him 7m+ as they'll then be a bottom feeder team with a smurf being paid like a Top 10 player in the NHL.

There are so many players better than marner and most make 5.5m to 6.5m with a few making 6.5m to 7.5m.

Again, he looks like a 14 year old smurf. Gaudreau has superior skating and puck handling and it's not even close.

NHLPA*

Jul 26, 2017
I agree with this. He is already priced him self out of a the 6m range.

LOL How exactly?

He put up 60 points playing while NOT playing against the other teams top players.

He is in the same tier as Monahan, Barkov, et al. He is no in Gaudreau and Tarasenko territory.

Comparing him to Draisatl....

You drafted a smurf not a man. Remember this. A smurf. He will always be paid as a smurf as he will always be an exterior player that can't compete against physical players in tight.

Marner is your average Top 6 player. He is not elite nor will he ever be elite.

He is a smurf that will score 15-20 goals a year and put up 50-65 points.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

Marner...

I wil say it right now.

you're out to lunch

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Marner is your average Top 6 player. He is not elite nor will he ever be elite.

He is a smurf that will score 15-20 goals a year and put up 50-65 points.

we get it, you have a huge anti-leaf bias and you want to show off how much it clouds your judgement, you don't have to keep posting the picture

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad