Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
I'm sure that has to be the plan when they drafted Ivank so high. Leenders looked pretty solid as a rookie and this is his draft year so of course he'll get the bulk of the work with Ivank being a rookie. However next year will be his draft year and no doubt will want to be a #1 and getting a good workload himself. Something will give in the offseason I'd expect, should be able to grab a modest return. Wonder with their surprise start and no one looking like a power house in the East if they don't " budget" possible off season acquisitions and perhaps do a "soft" buy at the deadline with some their picks they've already stock piled? Will certainly be a interesting trade deadline this year league wide.

Kai Schwindt in exchange for Guelph’s ninth-round pick… they have a spot open and Schwindt has played for Sarnia. Seems odd since they have a spot open and a relationship since they've drafted his older brother Cole and traded for his younger brother's rights.
Re: Schwindt I wonder if there is some other OA in their sights that they are waiting to act on.

Reactions: Tarantula

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I think it's clear Ivankovic was the BPA at the time, he's been playing like a top 5 pick at the very least. Best 16 year old goalie since DiPietro. The team will worry about a potential trade next year, for now I'm enjoying watching him and Leenders battle it out.

Definitely in favour of a soft buy, they have plenty of picks to use between 2025-2027 and I don't mind using a few, especially to fill the 3rd OA spot (maybe a Dman?).

In regards to Schwindt, the team had essentially already replaced him with Boudreau. No point in using a player card on him and I think the team would be better served with a shutdown 3rd line centre OA, or a two-way D.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good points last two posts, never considered cards nor the possibility that something could be brewing in the background.

I agree overall about BPA, especially that high in the draft. There's options after this season which should put the Steelheads in a position to get some extra currency in the bank this offseason and allow them to spend a bit on a so called soft buy this year.

Reactions: Roadhog

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
I think it's clear Ivankovic was the BPA at the time, he's been playing like a top 5 pick at the very least. Best 16 year old goalie since DiPietro. The team will worry about a potential trade next year, for now I'm enjoying watching him and Leenders battle it out.

Definitely in favour of a soft buy, they have plenty of picks to use between 2025-2027 and I don't mind using a few, especially to fill the 3rd OA spot (maybe a Dman?).

In regards to Schwindt, the team had essentially already replaced him with Boudreau. No point in using a player card on him and I think the team would be better served with a shutdown 3rd line centre OA, or a two-way D.
I have been very impressed with Karmiris as the third line centre. I would like to see them add a Connor Punnet type defender. Someone tough as nails so Martone and MacDonnel don’t have to drop the gloves anymore

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Solid looking team....best duo in the league in the pipes??

I don't know every tandem in the league but if they're not the best duo then they're certainly not far behind.

Didn't think we saw the best London team last night, lots of turnovers especially in their D zone, though Sauga deserved some credit for taking advantage of some of them.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Anybody know what is the status of Van Volsen? Is he a healthy scratch?

No, he's been scratched for I think 4 games now, they're not sitting a 6th over all pick unless he can't go. No idea what the issue is and how long he may be out though, but I can't see them scratching him for this long otherwise then health.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
No, he's been scratched for I think 4 games now, they're not sitting a 6th over all pick unless he can't go. No idea what the issue is and how long he may be out though, but I can't see them scratching him for this long otherwise then health.
He is a team worst plus/minus so I originally thought it was a message from JR but yeah 4 games is a lot.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Any word on Spencer Liam? Hasn't been in the lineup yet this year, on the roster. Has to be a injury me reckons, any word on a possible return?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Started playing for Strathroy a couple weeks ago, 2G 2A in 4 games so far.

Good to hear he's getting time in Jr B and some results. I checked out his profile on elite prospects and he's played a few games there last year as well.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Tough loss last night after holding a 3-1 lead in the third period. Hope they can bounce back today. Let’s throw those teddys in the first 5 minutes please.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough loss last night after holding a 3-1 lead in the third period. Hope they can bounce back today. Let’s throw those teddys in the first 5 minutes please.

At least this 3 in 3 had little travel, hoping for two points today, I'd consider it a split weekend.

Reactions: mtshapcott

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Glad to see a couple of points yesterday. Since they aren't missing anybody to the WJC, hopefully they can bank a few more before the TD.

Thought Sunday was the best I've seen of JVV, playing first line centre. He has really improved taking face offs since the season started, in fact the team as a group has, they owned the dot yesterday, not just winning the draw but full in full possession after.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Glad to see a couple of points yesterday. Since they aren't missing anybody to the WJC, hopefully they can bank a few more before the TD.

Thought Sunday was the best I've seen of JVV, playing first line centre. He has really improved taking face offs since the season started, in fact the team as a group has, they owned the dot yesterday, not just winning the draw but full in full possession after.
Agreed. JVV had a good game. I liked the lines yesterday. I hope that Angus-Misa-Veccia line stays together.
We just need some scoring from the third line. Karmiris is playing well but just can’t find the net. A goal every other game should be within their capabilities. We can’t just rely on Misa scoring 3 points every game.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Well the start looked good in Oshawa last night, then the rest of the game happened.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Seems the Gens have our number this year, good starts both games but weren't able to hold on. Depth has also become an issue, interesting pickup in Gee, unfortunately that trade likely signals that the Fibigr injury might be worse than we think.

I am more surprised that they didn't just call up Spencer on D, and trade for a forward though. Never like playing with only 10 forwards, and also lost MacDonell in the third to a hit to the head. Hope he is alright

Big win against the 67's leading to a tie for 1st place in the east heading into the holiday break. They've definitely exceeded expectations so far, let's see if they can keep it up

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Seems the Gens have our number this year, good starts both games but weren't able to hold on. Depth has also become an issue, interesting pickup in Gee, unfortunately that trade likely signals that the Fibigr injury might be worse than we think.

I am more surprised that they didn't just call up Spencer on D, and trade for a forward though. Never like playing with only 10 forwards, and also lost MacDonell in the third to a hit to the head. Hope he is alright

Big win against the 67's leading to a tie for 1st place in the east heading into the holiday break. They've definitely exceeded expectations so far, let's see if they can keep it up

With a couple or perhaps more injuries, (didn't like the hit McDonnell took) and two guys suspended and Ledzicki away the break comes at a good time at least.

Yeah only having 10 forwards really causes some crazy line combos, especially since Lidzicki and Kamaris were missing along with McDonnell aren't regular fourth liners.

Ottawa had bus legs it looked like at the start of the game but they sure were looking threatening as the third wore on. The last thing this young team needed was another lost lead. Glad they got the regulation win. Seemed almost like a playoff game in December, the remaining two contests between these two clubs should be good, the TDL is going to be interesting as no one is really running away this year.

Last edited:

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
With a couple or perhaps more injuries, (didn't like the hit McDonnell took) and two guys suspended and Ledzicki away the break comes at a good time at least.

Yeah only having 10 forwards really causes some crazy line combos, especially since Lidzicki and Kamaris were missing along with McDonnell
You went 0 for 3 on the last names there spidey 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad