NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CII: Post-Trade Deadline Edition (POLL: Pick the 2024 Cup winner) -- consolidated transactions threads in OP

Now Who is Your 2024 Stanley Cup Winner?

• Arizona Coyotes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boston Bruins

• Buffalo Sabres

• Calgary Flames

• Chicago Blackhawks

• Columbus Blue Jackets

• Detroit Red Wings

• Edmonton Oilers

• Los Angeles Kings

• Minnesota Wild

• Montreal Canadiens

• Nashville Predators

• New Jersey Devils

• New York Islanders

• Ottawa Senators

• Pittsburgh Penguins

• Seattle Kraken

• St. Louis Blues

• Tampa Bay Lightning

• Washington Capitals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I haven’t really crazily dug into it I’m just seeing stuff on the surface but does the NHL truly want to deal with Alex Meurelo again in the future? Or did they just make a deal with the devil to get out of it for now? Like are they hoping he doesn’t strike an arena deal within that five year window?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I haven’t really crazily dug into it I’m just seeing stuff on the surface but does the NHL truly want to deal with Alex Meurelo again in the future? Or did they just make a deal with the devil to get out of it for now? Like are they hoping he doesn’t strike an arena deal within that five year window?
I'm pretty sure they get a good portion of that money he got for the move to Utah back if he does bring the Coyotes back.

Also, i'm pretty sure the way that they did this that all of the money stays in the owners' hands and none is shared with the players.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm pretty sure they get a good portion of that money he got for the move to Utah back if he does bring the Coyotes back.

Also, i'm pretty sure the way that they did this that all of the money stays in the owners' hands and none is shared with the players.

I’ve been following it closely, more closely than the end of the Flyers season. They did what they had to do to get out of Arizona and not be in court. I don’t think anyone amongst the boys club is happy about it, and he’s not even technically out. He’s still allowed in the room as an ‘observer’ which is to say he’s been moved to the kids table.

If he’s able to make an arena happen in Arizona, they’ll take it, and they’ll be glad about it. But they don’t believe in him. They won’t be too disappointed if he fails, but they desperately want to be in that market, and he knows that too.

June 27 we’ll find out if he’s as full of shit as he comes across. He’s still talking about needing support from the local municipal bodies. I don’t know what that means, but it’s not going to be because of money that he fails.

Players don’t really have much of a say here, the only thing they had was to leverage it when the CBA comes up, which I’m sure they still will do, but it’s much more amenable to both sides of it’s not an active issue.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
1713552894383.png

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Gets easily forgotten when people talk about the Coyotes and how they've been a failure, that there are people who were really invested in the team.

Imagine being a fan of a team that just disappears all of a sudden. What do you do? Pick a new team? Stop following hockey?
Without the Coyotes there would be no Auston Matthews in the NHL. So at the end of the day the Coyotes did leave their mark on the league.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Gets easily forgotten when people talk about the Coyotes and how they've been a failure, that there are people who were really invested in the team.

Imagine being a fan of a team that just disappears all of a sudden. What do you do? Pick a new team? Stop following hockey?
Without the Coyotes there would be no Auston Matthews in the NHL. So at the end of the day the Coyotes did leave their mark on the league.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

If one were to see the press conferences with Meruelo and Ryan Smith, you can see why one guy lost a team and the other gained it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Playoffs starting today, let’s turn over into a new thread here too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad