Proposal: Min-LA

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don’t get Minny’s obsession with trading Gustavsson. He’s young. Has shown he can be a really good NHL goalie. Wallstedt has been pedestrian in the AHL so far.

Could be a Quick/Bernier situation

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t get Minny’s obsession with trading Gustavsson. He’s young. Has shown he can be a really good AHL goalie. Wallstedt has been pedestrian in the NHL so far.

played 3 games, 2 of which were good and one that was horrendous playing behind a very injured team again maybe the Stanley cup favorite :/

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Back to back AHL allstar playing behind the worst team in the AHL. Seems like you’re coping for Wolf
AHL all star lol. He has a 909 save percentage in 80 some games. That’s not that great… nothing to do with wolf but since you brought him up he’s had 3 seasons straight of 924, 932 and 922 in the same league.

• Haha
Reactions: IceBoxHockey

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
AHL all star lol. He has a 909 save percentage in 80 some games. That’s not that great… nothing to do with wolf but since you brought him up he’s had 3 seasons straight of 924, 932 and 922 in the same league.
Would recommend that you watch a player before you call them pedestrian because you clearly have not. That Iowa team was one of the worst AHL teams I’ve ever seen. For context, the other goalie finished with an .881 save percentage behind that team.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Would recommend that you watch a player before you call them pedestrian because you clearly have not. That Iowa team was one of the worst AHL teams I’ve ever seen. For context, the other goalie finished with an .881 save percentage behind that team.
I have seen him play. He’s a good prospect. But I don’t think he’s a sure thing elite starter like Minnesota fans seem to suggest. He’s 4 years younger than Gus who has already had way more success. I think handing him an NHL job when he hasn’t even dominated in the AHL is poor thinking.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t get Minny’s obsession with trading Gustavsson. He’s young. Has shown he can be a really good NHL goalie. Wallstedt has been pedestrian in the AHL so far.

OP is not a Wild fan?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I have seen him play. He’s a good prospect. But I don’t think he’s a sure thing elite starter like Minnesota fans seem to suggest. He’s 4 years younger than Gus who has already had way more success. I think handing him an NHL job when he hasn’t even dominated in the AHL is poor thinking.
Can you apply some critical thinking here for just two seconds and consider the team Wallstedt was playing in front of.

Connor Murphy put up the same save percentage as Wolf on the Wranglers. The same Connor Murphy who had a sub .900 ECHL save percentage and sub .900 senior year of college.

Contrast that with the Iowa Wild. Wallstedt was far and away the best guy. His numbers don't do him justice. No other goalie had higher than a .889 save percentage. The main backup had an .881 lol... Having watched plenty of Iowa games, teams would often get 2-3 grade A chances when the scoring opportunities did occur. The defense was horrible at clearing the front.

Your stat watching is extremely misguided. I doubt your boy would sport a better save percentage on Iowa than what Wallstedt did.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'll listen to pro talent evaluators and scouts rather than you. They seem to think that Wallstedt is one of, if not the best goalie prospect in the world.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Can you apply some critical thinking here for just two seconds and consider the team Wallstedt was playing in front of.

Connor Murphy put up the same save percentage as Wolf on the Wranglers. The same Connor Murphy who had a sub .900 ECHL save percentage and sub .900 senior year of college.

Contrast that with the Iowa Wild. Wallstedt was far and away the best guy. His numbers don't do him justice. No other goalie had higher than a .889 save percentage. The main backup had an .881 lol... Having watched plenty of Iowa games, teams would often get 2-3 grade A chances when the scoring opportunities did occur. The defense was horrible at clearing the front.

Your stat watching is extremely misguided. I doubt your boy would sport a better save percentage on Iowa than what Wallstedt did.
Wolf had a .038 greater save percentage as a 20 year old over his backup.
He also had a .025 next year over his backup.
Back to back winner of goalie of the year.
Murphy had a great year last year. Wolf had a down year. And yet still blew Wallstedt out of the water.

Wallstedt is one of the best goalie prospects in the world. Doesn’t mean he’s ready for the NHL or that Minnesota should just gift him the starting net. But whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Back to back AHL allstar playing behind the worst team in the AHL. Seems like you’re coping for Wolf
His development has been pretty stagnant honestly. Those two recent head to head matchups against Cossa, showed exactly why you don’t get overly excited by 18 year old goalies, and also so eager to cast another kid aside at 18.

What’s transpired over the last year, is exactly why Detroit took Cossa over him. Some thought Wallstedt was more of a finished product already, without much more ceiling, while Cossa had tons of room to grow his game into that 6’6” frame.

As of right now, that’s exactly what we seem to be witnessing. Oh the difference a year makes for a young goaltender, and perception amongst the so-called prospect community.

You’d be hard-pressed to find a manager who’d trade Cossa for Wallstedt right now. Especially the way the NHL falls in love with big goaltenders. Maybe that bounces back the other direction in another year, but Wallstedt really hasn’t continued to develop (very much) over the last two years, while Cossa has not only caught him, but passed him, showing he can also deliver dominant performances, while Wallstedt has just been the same, solid goaltender we’ve seen for two years.

It’s funny how perception continues too, as some in Minnesota think Wallstedt is ready but pretty much everyone in Detroit thinks Cossa needs another year, other than maybe some spot starts next season. Even though the latter was the better goaltender in the same league this past season.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
His development has been pretty stagnant honestly. Those two recent head to head matchups against Cossa, showed exactly why you don’t get overly excited by 18 year old goalies, and also so eager to cast another kid aside at 18.

What’s transpired over the last year, is exactly why Detroit took Cossa over him. Some thought Wallstedt was more of a finished product already, without much more ceiling, while Cossa had tons of room to grow his game into that 6’6” frame.

As of right now, that’s exactly what we seem to be witnessing. Oh the difference a year makes for a young goaltender, and perception amongst the so-called prospect community.

You’d be hard-pressed to find a manager who’d trade Cossa for Wallstedt right now. Especially the way the NHL falls in love with big goaltenders. Maybe that bounces back the other direction in another year, but Wallstedt really hasn’t continued to develop (very much) over the last two years, while Cossa has not only caught him, but passed him, showing he can also deliver dominant performances, while Wallstedt has just been the same, solid goaltender we’ve seen for two years.

It’s funny how perception continues too, as some in Minnesota think Wallstedt is ready but pretty much everyone in Detroit thinks Cossa needs another year, other than maybe some spot starts next season. Even though the latter was the better goaltender in the same league this past season.
Please explain how Cossa is better without just showing you’re a stat watcher.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It makes little sense to trade Gus in the off-season IMO. The Wild have literally the ideal goalie transition setup at the current moment, Fleury on his last legs and Wallstedt getting his feet wet could very easily split up 40 games between them while Gus, who has depressed value after a rocky season and conditioning question marks would be scheduled for the roughly 40 other games to bounce back. If you hit December and Wallstedt proves himself capable, then you look to trade Gus if you really want to, you won’t lose value vs the off season and likely gain with any rebound in play or increased demand from any team with injury issues.

The post about Wallstedt stagnating is just an uninformed take though, in his own words he took major steps forward this season and the coaches also echoed that throughout the season in statements to the media. He is a positional goalie, and was playing behind a team of inexperienced defensemen, the classic type of guy that is going to look much better behind a solid defensive system and worse in chaos.

There will be learning curves, but the current Wild playstyle and team defense offer a much easier opportunity to play behind than the AHL team does, even if the opposition is more dangerous individually. I think he does fine this season and if the staff truly think he is ready I would understand getting value for Gus, but at the same time, it’s more Fleury and his health and availability that would concern me if I moved Gus. Hlavaj is the only other signed goalie, and he is a mystery box to be sure in NA. Gambling a prime Kaprizov and JEE season on a 40 year old goalie staying healthy just seems unlikely based on previous moves by this front office.

If Gus does move this off season, I think it would likely take a strong offer, I don’t think you will find anyone on this board willingly offering up what it would actually take.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think we're going to carry 3 goalies in the NHL, send Wallstedt down for spot starts and give him the occasional in the NHL as well.

Trading Gustavsson now would be rushing things.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

lol. Imagine bragging about being .003 better behind a playoff team than behind the 4th worst team in the league.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Probably because there isn't one aside from your perception of it. You're overstating it. There has been mention of it by some reports, but from everything I've seen, that's all it is, 'mentioned'. And I've not seen Wild fans clamoring for it. A few, perhaps, but nothing anywhere close to a "obsession".

Take it down a notch.
Take It Down A Notch 3.gif

Last edited:

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
As far as I can tell, this is the most recent quote from Guerin regarding the goalies:

“The Wild will almost assuredly listen on him leading up to June’s NHL Draft. But general manager Bill Guerin wasn’t giving away much when asked recently what factors will go into his decisions on goaltending.

“Honestly I don’t know if I have a great answer for that question right now,” Guerin said. “I mean there’s a lot that goes into it. I’m comfortable with our goalies the way it is now. We’re going to have to talk about it, assess everything, really find out where everybody is. What’s the workload going to be like for (Fleury)? What’s it going to be like for Gus? How many games do we need (Wallstedt) to get, because he needs to get more than he got this year. So all those things are going to kind of come into play. I just don’t have anything definite for you. We’re going to talk about that.””

Taken from Joe Smith’s April 30 Athletic article, post Fleury signing.

Just my two cents, but Smith has been much more speculative in his writing than Russo has historically been, different eras and backgrounds probably lead to that, but the Wild frankly have very few viable trade options, so Gus and Rossi are going to be obvious clickbait candidates when there is not much else to grab attention at the moment. The actual comments from the GM though seem as if he’s content to run with 3 goalies.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

Can you show us someone who covers hockey for a living who has Cossa rated higher than Wallstedt? Because I've never seen one

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I've learned a lot about Wallstedt, Cossa and Wolf in this Kailyev and Gustafsson thread. Don't know much about Kailyev and Gustafsson, but maybe I can go to a Wallstedt thread for that.

Personally, I think the Wild should keep Gus, and definitely if the return is just Kaliyev. I'd be much more comfortable with Wallstedt having one more AHL year, with spot NHL duties. I prefer to cook my prospects until they're done, especially goalies.

Ledge And Dairy

I've learned a lot about Wallstedt, Cossa and Wolf in this Kailyev and Gustafsson thread. Don't know much about Kailyev and Gustafsson, but maybe I can go to a Wallstedt thread for that.

Personally, I think the Wild should keep Gus, and definitely if the return is just Kaliyev. I'd be much more comfortable with Wallstedt having one more AHL year, with spot NHL duties. I prefer to cook my prospects until they're done, especially goalies.
That's what's been so dumb about this thread. It got ridiculously derailed because a bunch of Wild fans took offense to what is probably an exaggerated opinion on Wallstedt. And those fans instantly resorted to a pissing contest. IMO it was pretty obvious the user was trying to say trading Gus for anything but a can't refuse offer is just foolish because Wallstedt, while being a high potential prospect, very likely needs more development time. Especially since Flower is going to be turning 40 soon and probably can't handle a full time starting gig.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4