Mike McKee, D, Lincoln Stars, USHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
He went undrafted in last year's draft coming out of Kent School. Any chance he gets drafted this year?

Bruins Draft Watch on McKee

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2011/03/nepsiha-tournament-scouting-reports.html

"Mike McKee, D Kent School
At 6-5, 230, tremendous size and physical maturity for a kid who won't turn 18 until August. Newmarket, Ontario native is an excellent skater for his size, with good first step and a powerful stride. Very good balance and lateral agility/edgework as well.
Has a big shot, but doesn't use it all that much, preferring to distribute the puck. Nice heavy wrist shot that he shoots low on net for deflections. Average passer; can make the basic plays and short-to-intermediate breakouts but doesn't stand out as an exceptional puck mover who can stretch defenses. Hockey sense and vision are questionable. Seems to take a while to process and misses open teammates and passing windows. Used by coach Matt Herr to set up the screen in front of the goaltender when Kent was on the power play, taking away the goaltender's sight lines. Powerful bodychecker who played with a nasty edge in both weekend tournament games. Was penalized at least twice for being a manchild who crushed kids about 100 pounds lighter with clean hits rather than playing dirty. In the championship game, crashed the Milton net, brushing goaltender Sean Dougherty. He then took on three Milton players who swarmed him, knocking all three to the ice at various times while not giving any ground. Got a 4-minute roughing penalty for his efforts, but the way he manhandled those guys sent a clear message. Whispers from NHL scouts at the tournament say that he might be best off converting back to forward (he is in his second full season on D after switching) because of the concerns about his instincts for the game and concerns with processing what goes on. One thing is for certain: after watching McKee, there is nothing more for him to do at the prep level. He needs to move on and up (Ottawa owns his OHL rights, Lincoln his USHL rights) for the sake of his development and viability as an NHL prospect going forward. He was only 113th on Central's mid-term list for North American skaters, but have to believe the size and physical tools will see him come off the board as high as the second round. If he develops an ability to fight, he could be an even more valuable commodity."

Last edited:

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
He went undrafted in last year's draft coming out of Kent School. Any chance he gets drafted this year?

Bruins Draft Watch on McKee

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2011/03/nepsiha-tournament-scouting-reports.html

"Mike McKee, D Kent School
At 6-5, 230, tremendous size and physical maturity for a kid who won't turn 18 until August. Newmarket, Ontario native is an excellent skater for his size, with good first step and a powerful stride. Very good balance and lateral agility/edgework as well.
Has a big shot, but doesn't use it all that much, preferring to distribute the puck. Nice heavy wrist shot that he shoots low on net for deflections. Average passer; can make the basic plays and short-to-intermediate breakouts but doesn't stand out as an exceptional puck mover who can stretch defenses. Hockey sense and vision are questionable. Seems to take a while to process and misses open teammates and passing windows. Used by coach Matt Herr to set up the screen in front of the goaltender when Kent was on the power play, taking away the goaltender's sight lines. Powerful bodychecker who played with a nasty edge in both weekend tournament games. Was penalized at least twice for being a manchild who crushed kids about 100 pounds lighter with clean hits rather than playing dirty. In the championship game, crashed the Milton net, brushing goaltender Sean Dougherty. He then took on three Milton players who swarmed him, knocking all three to the ice at various times while not giving any ground. Got a 4-minute roughing penalty for his efforts, but the way he manhandled those guys sent a clear message. Whispers from NHL scouts at the tournament say that he might be best off converting back to forward (he is in his second full season on D after switching) because of the concerns about his instincts for the game and concerns with processing what goes on. One thing is for certain: after watching McKee, there is nothing more for him to do at the prep level. He needs to move on and up (Ottawa owns his OHL rights, Lincoln his USHL rights) for the sake of his development and viability as an NHL prospect going forward. He was only 113th on Central's mid-term list for North American skaters, but have to believe the size and physical tools will see him come off the board as high as the second round. If he develops an ability to fight, he could be an even more valuable commodity."

Yeti is the resident Stars' maven. I haven't seen enough of him at the level yet.

IkeaMonkey*

Was waiting for Yeti to chime in before I did...but sitting here has just killed me!

Hard to disagree at all with what Kirk said(as usual). I think he brings a lot of "meanness" to the table, which coupled with his size brings a pretty big asset. Never saw him rip a shot, but he was a pretty good skater for his size. I see a lot of what Kirk was saying about making the adjustment to defense, he wasn't so much out of position, but something just seemed "off" about his awareness. I think as a forward, he doesn't bring a lot of a "wow" factor, but as a Dman, if he rounds out, a team will have a decent late round project.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Was waiting for Yeti to chime in before I did...but sitting here has just killed me!

He was a NU verbal from the Cronin era and I know that Keefe'r gave him a hard look at the Classic then promptly set him free and then pursued Colt Saucerman.

I saw a lot of early season prep games last year but for the life of me I don't remember him nor do I have any notes on him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad