Confirmed with Link: Scott Ford hired, Mike Haviland promoted to assistant coaches. Boll, McCarthy retained. Recchi, Dorsett out

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I could be misremembering but I recall that before the Blackhawks imploded, Haviland was considered potential head coach material. He got some share of the plaudits for the development of Keith, Seabrook, etc... And then he somehow ends up our assistant in Cleveland.

I'm happy to see him get a shot with the Jackets, though I'm curious who gets to be "the D coach", McCarthy or Haviland?

I'm wondering if Letestu will get a look for the other assistant gig?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I could be misremembering but I recall that before the Blackhawks imploded, Haviland was considered potential head coach material. He got some share of the plaudits for the development of Keith, Seabrook, etc... And then he somehow ends up our assistant in Cleveland.

I'm happy to see him get a shot with the Jackets, though I'm curious who gets to be "the D coach", McCarthy or Haviland?

Got fired by the Hawks and went back to the AHL as an associate coach for a year and then a head coach with Hershey. Then he ends up doing the college thing-which has a lot of appeal given the potential for very long term stable employment.

When Colorado College didn't work out he managed to get a gig with the Monsters.

Looks like he's just a career coach doing the best that he can. Getting back to the NHL as an assistant at age 57 is a significant accomplishment.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Got fired by the Hawks and went back to the AHL as an associate coach for a year and then a head coach with Hershey. Then he ends up doing the college thing-which has a lot of appeal given the potential for very long term stable employment.

When Colorado College didn't work out he managed to get a gig with the Monsters.

Looks like he's just a career coach doing the best that he can. Getting back to the NHL as an assistant at age 57 is a significant accomplishment.

The Hawks fired him but my memory is that that was a surprise to Hawks fans.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Hawks fired him but my memory is that that was a surprise to Hawks fans.
Few thought the axe was poised over Halivand's neck.
Two weeks ago, I posed the question of which coach's job was in the most danger. Over 500 readers weighed in on the poll. Mike Kitchen was the choice of over 85 percent of those responding. Less than four percent saw Haviland leaving town.

Your recollection was correct.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Few thought the axe was poised over Halivand's neck.
Two weeks ago, I posed the question of which coach's job was in the most danger. Over 500 readers weighed in on the poll. Mike Kitchen was the choice of over 85 percent of those responding. Less than four percent saw Haviland leaving town.

Your recollection was correct.

This quote from that earlier article is the kicker:

Find a group of Blackhawks fans and bring up the coaching staff. There's a good chance that Kitchen's name comes up as the guy who receives his walking papers.
I'm not working from any type of poll here. I've had conversations with hardcore and casual fans alike. The sentiment exists, to be sure. I don't think I've ever heard assistant Mike Haviland's name come up in such a conversation, except when it's pitched as a possible successor to Quenneville if he ever is removed from his current position.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So can someone refresh my memory -what exactly does Jarred Boll bring to the table except looking tough and standing very straight behind the bench? Who/what does he coach?

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
So can someone refresh my memory -what exactly does Jarred Boll bring to the table except looking tough and standing very straight behind the bench? Who/what does he coach?
The better question is McCarthy has been coach for 3 seasons for the defense and they have been in the basement. Any job performance would be started with a low meets and next annual review is a low meets well then you exit the person. In McCarthy's case 3 low meets but still employed, doesn't make much sense.

Could you say 1 year because of injuries - yes but baffled for the other 2 seasons.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So I’m assuming Haviland takes over coaching the defense right ? Boll , it’s easy to see why he was kept .. he’s in the mold of Darby Hendrickson .. Waddell and Evason want mean , gritty , and highly competitive to be the identity of how this team plays .

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I've been expecting this move for a while and my firm guess is Haviland will be the D coach. It's quite obviously the most natural and best possible internal hire/promotion they could do in this situation given all the young D talent trying to break into the league at the same time (Jiricek, Mateychuk, Svozil). Assigning best D coach in the organisation to guide one or some of the future core defenders in the NHL is a better choice than utilizing him for something else. Just let Boll and McCarthy handle forwards and the PP with Evason if you can't pay anybody outside of the org to do that job this year.

Reactions: majormajor

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
I’m willing to give McCarthy a pass because he was working with head coaches who were in over their heads the last three years, especially with their D systems

Reactions: Fred Glover

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
he doesn't coach a specific position group but iirc he gives input on adjustments/tactics. he watches the first two periods from the press box and then comes down to the bench.

that doesn't mean he has control over those tactics (the blown leads in the third were clearly a pascal vincent thing) but clearly they view him as a talented hockey mind, or something like that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
he doesn't coach a specific position group but iirc he gives input on adjustments/tactics. he watches the first two periods from the press box and then comes down to the bench.

that doesn't mean he has control over those tactics (the blown leads in the third were clearly a pascal vincent thing) but clearly they view him as a talented hockey mind, or something like that.
Impossible because he was a goon as a player.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Would be happy for him but that would gut the entire staff in Cleveland aside from vogelhuber and thiessen this late in the summer. Probably not ideal

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Jared Boll, the Tank Commander
clearly the top brass views the third period collapses as purely a pascal vincent problem, given that boll stayed and pascal didn't, but… yeah it's still a funny way to frame boll's current role here.

Reactions: Seedtype

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
He was an assistant development coach from 2018-2023. Somehow his exemplary talent development in that timeframe has earned him a promotion to NHL assistant coach.

Zero in-game coaching experience on his resume, at any level, but he's ready to learn on the job behind the bench at the game's highest level.

• Haha
Reactions: EspenK

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
He was an assistant development coach from 2018-2023. Somehow his exemplary talent development in that timeframe has earned him a promotion to NHL assistant coach.

Zero in-game coaching experience on his resume, at any level, but he's ready to learn on the job behind the bench at the game's highest level.
Every single coach in every sport is hired as a coach with 0 in game coaching experience at some point.

5 years as a development coach is more than enough time to evaluate if he's capable or not.

Being an NHLer kinda allows you to skip some steps.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
clearly the top brass views the third period collapses as purely a pascal vincent problem, given that boll stayed and pascal didn't, but… yeah it's still a funny way to frame boll's current role here.

This team was so bad in the last 5 minutes they needed to get rid of Vincent. I’m confident in our new coach much more than when Vincent was shoved into the role after the Babs incident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad