OT: Middle Aged Man Yells at Clouds Due to Wi-Fi Not Connecting to Printer!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I bought a new Canon printer as well last week (I'm an idiot) but I did so because I had left over unused ink cartridges for the last printer so I specifically bought one that uses the same cartridges. I mean I wanted to buy the same cheap manual USB plug in printer I had I didn't want or need wifi printer. But this is all they have now. So its sitting in the box while I dread the setup process which decades into experiences with computers etc, I know won't work until I've spilt blood and sweat and cursed at the damn things and threatened the hammer fix..

The last printer doesn't work because it had a fatal paper jam. The type where no matter how many parts of the printer you open up to get at the jam you can't. Inevitably you end up tugging on the paper jam too hard and the rollers are then not aligned and it'll never feed or print another document again. The printer btw did this to itself trying to feed 5 pages into the printer at once even though everything was setup properly, nothing was wrong with the paper etc..

So I'm observing all this with baited breath and I really understand the feelings @Bryanbryoil . It doesn't matter what the instructions say or won't say. It won't work the way its supposed to, won't connect the way its supposed to and pretty much that neither your computer or the printer will recognize each other even one foot apart. It won't autodetect. But try powering things on and off anyway and shutting down computer and restarting anyway while printer is turned on. Sometimes that will work. Sometimes throwing the printer off a cliff works.

Knowing what I'm like theres no way I was going to even attempt to setup this printer while it was 40C outside. Blood boiling already. Wife says stuff like you got it done yet, what can be so hard. Just take it out of the box and plug it in... I should let her do it..It would never run. The way I'm looking at it the paper jam was months ago and what do I need to print anyway. Its like a dishwasher that won't run. f*** it, I don't need a dishwasher.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
To get the soccer stream on my tv I tried to setup a wifi speaker we have had for ages. And I have about 3 laptops from when the kids were upgrading in university so installed the latest windows and tried to get the wifi working. Long story short I had to go buy a new wifi USB port and use the correct USB port on the laptop to get it to work. It’s still buggy and I ran a few computer stores for awhile. Really I need to update the bios to make it more stable but I don’t want to try to figure out new drivers for everything. And it works most of the time with constant manipulation.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
To get the soccer stream on my tv I tried to setup a wifi speaker we have had for ages. And I have about 3 laptops from when the kids were upgrading in university so installed the latest windows and tried to get the wifi working. Long story short I had to go buy a new wifi USB port and use the correct USB port on the laptop to get it to work. It’s still buggy and I ran a few computer stores for awhile. Really I need to update the bias to make it more stable but I don’t want to try to figure out nee drivers for everything. And it works most of the time with constant manipulation.

Many of these "plug and play wifi supported devices only work with certain proprietary file types which just adds to the fun. I mean I actually bought a device once that supported only Apple products and files of which I don't have any...Neither myself or the store person detected this at point of sale as it conveniently didn't mention it on the box. Guess they just assumed this is Apple world or should be, and shit on the rest of you.

I have a couple bluetooth speakers. Works most of the time but sometimes has disconnected on its own and you have to reset everything to get it to pair. Usually takes several tries. I have bluetooth compatibility in my vehicle that never works and doesn't recognize any device I've ever had but probably picks up the Space Station..Fortunately it has a CD player so I can still burn whatever I want to be listening to on drives.

Reactions: oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Many of these "plug and play wifi supported devices only work with certain proprietary file types which just adds to the fun. I mean I actually bought a device once that supported only Apple products and files of which I don't have any...Neither myself or the store person detected this at point of sale as it conveniently didn't mention it on the box. Guess they just assumed this is Apple world or should be, and shit on the rest of you.

I have a couple bluetooth speakers. Works most of the time but sometimes has disconnected on its own and you have to reset everything to get it to pair. Usually takes several tries. I have bluetooth compatibility in my vehicle that never works and doesn't recognize any device I've ever had but probably picks up the Space Station..Fortunately it has a CD player so I can still burn whatever I want to be listening to on drives.
Seamless is usually a dirty word. Just means you have to fight the operating system. Meaning you have to start from the correct spot and use the correct process.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Any updates @Bryanbryoil ?

BrilliantSilentAntelopegroundsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If your wireless router lets you do a WPS setup (basically just a way to quickly pair up devices), this might work.

If not, there is probably a way to use your printer drivers with your printer USB connected to your PC to manually set the wifi settings, but usually the canon printers also let you set up wifi a little easier with an app on your phone, like this guide

Once the printer is connected, on the laptop, if your printer is still there in your printer list, might be easiest to delete it and try to find it again. Likely the printer has a new IP, and it's possible your laptop doesn't like that is changed. Discover the printer again from scratch.

Side note on printers since I've been especially annoyed lately by one. Don't bother with stupid ink tank ones. I spent extra on a Canon G3200, and found out they put a counter on them for how much it'll print before doing into a error code mode. It's some crap about this ink absorbing pad in it getting full and needing maintenance. They want like $150 for me to ship it to Calgary to do the work on it. Tried to absorb up the ink myself and all kinds of things, hacks to reset the counter, but the thing is just a disaster inside now with ink all over the place. This crap was not made to reliably ever do anything close to the thousands of pages they claim these huge vats of ink can do without needing to buy cartridges. They are made to be a money pit a different way, needing endless maintenance. Total bullcrap scam, although maybe people have had luck with other brands of ink tank printers. Not trying another one though. back to cartridges.

I tried the method in the first video last night and am currently trying it again now. The problem is that the damn thing has the wifi symbol and an x next to it so when I press that symbol and hold it, it takes the wifi symbol away. Son of a bitch I tells ya!

EDIT-So I got the Wifi symbol on there and it looked like it had a strong signal. Then it kicked my laptop off the internet and I couldn't log back in. Got that fixed and now the POS printer is saying it has no connection. I'm thinking of un-installing the program and then re-installing it. If that doesn't work, I like @Bring Back Bucky's idea.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Printers are a disgrace to humanity. No piece of technology has or is less user friendly. My experiences say buy a new printer.
Plus…
To buy ink is more costly than a new printer

I think you have perfectly crystalized my rational hate for printers and shed light on the business model in two bolded sentences.

There is NO device in a connected home that is less reliable than a printer. I had "you'll set up the printer" as a key feature in my wedding vows. I'll do the router, the NAS, the music server, the doorbells, the security system, all of it... she's on printer duty for both our sanity.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
My Brother printer is on Wifi and just decides randomly not to connect with the computer. Only way to get it back is to restart computer/printer or both.

Toner is like $180 a shot. I ordered an offshoot toner this time, not sure how that is going to workout yet.

7bW_o-ufv1vmbc6_LRBIxUdb2aFSfyHYTqMlAO7JIxmtXpjh3rQTNA_AorGMIp0TqTKJavbuqfFvRshnVIyUtesVxSly1LilSEF5WsM822j6dMywdcUku4cDOpRG9v1m3z81cAZxwZC6kDE

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
My Brother printer is on Wifi and just decides randomly not to connect with the computer. Only way to get it back is to restart computer/printer or both.

Toner is like $180 a shot. I ordered an offshoot toner this time, not sure how that is going to workout yet.

7bW_o-ufv1vmbc6_LRBIxUdb2aFSfyHYTqMlAO7JIxmtXpjh3rQTNA_AorGMIp0TqTKJavbuqfFvRshnVIyUtesVxSly1LilSEF5WsM822j6dMywdcUku4cDOpRG9v1m3z81cAZxwZC6kDE

Did that with my current HP and have done it in the past. They seem to work well, but I can’t get over this feeling that it doesn’t last quite as long. Nothing terribly noticeable, especially considering the price difference though

Reactions: BlackDogg

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Advances in science are increasing the life expectancy of humans whilst printers work to counteract that. Those who work with printers regularly have a 23% greater risk of mortality before average life expectancy. More studies are needed however with further advances in wifi technology.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

This is why my printer never works. One of my cats likes to fight the printer. It gets excited anytime it whiirrs and paper comes out of it or scanning something. It'll run across the house to the office to see whats up when the printer starts coming to life. It must miss its friend...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This is why my printer never works. One of my cats likes to fight the printer. It gets excited anytime it whiirrs and paper comes out of it or scanning something. It'll run across the house to the office to see whats up when the printer starts coming to life. It must miss its friend...

Go cat! f*** that printer up kitty!

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Glad you got the printer working :)

I feel the pain of WiFi printers. Nothing in my house is WiFi except tablets, phones and laptops (When undocked). Just too flaky. Hence when I built my house I ran 40 cat6 drops (seriously lol).

Had a Telus guy over once for a TV related issue...guy said "man...I appreciate your setup so much I'm not even gonna try and tell you to use our router". He even called another tech in the area to come over and check it out lol

Anyone on fibre with the willingness to learn if you don't know already...I would recommend ditching their stuff. Even if it is just an Asus or Linksys. The only thing of theirs with power to it in my house other than the media converter (fiber "modem") are the optik tv tv boxes...and even they are on their own VLAN so they can't snoop ;)

That said....can you still throw their DSL modem/routers combos into bridge mode to do the same? Been a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad