OT: Middle Aged Man Yells at Clouds Due to Wi-Fi Not Connecting to Printer!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So my last modem ate shit and died, so it got changed and now I cannot connect my existing printer to my laptop wirelessly because it was set up with my old wi-fi. It is a Cannon printer, I have tried to follow their online instructions and no dice. Any advice for those that are tech savvy or at least not as dumb with this stuff as I am?

Reactions: oilers'72

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
So my last modem ate shit and died, so it got changed and now I cannot connect my existing printer to my laptop wirelessly because it was set up with my old wi-fi. It is a Cannon printer, I have tried to follow their online instructions and no dice. Any advice for those that are tech savvy or at least not as dumb with this stuff as I am?
Printers are a disgrace to humanity. No piece of technology has or is less user friendly. My experiences say buy a new printer.
Plus…
To buy ink is more costly than a new printer

Last edited:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Got mine hooked up with a USB cable straight from the laptop. Works well as long as you can see the printer. If it's in another room or you're taking your laptop all over the place, I'm as tech savvy as your average senior.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Printers are a disgrace to humanity. No piece of technology has or is less user friendly. my experiences is to buy a new printer.
Plus…

Amen to that. They changed the router maybe 4-5 months back, then my kid put a cup of water in the wrong spot and the new router got drenched so here we are with another router change. I bought a new printer last time because I couldn't figure this BS out then. Hoping to not have to do the same again as I literally just installed new ink cartriges which as you say are worth a f***ing mint. :madfire:

Got mine hooked up with a USB cable straight from the laptop. Works well as long as you can see the printer. If it's in another room or you're taking your laptop all over the place, I'm as tech savvy as your average senior.

I may have to do just that, I've just become spoiled doing wireless printing over the last number of years. As they say, first world problems!

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

I’m not super tech savvy but might be able to help you troubleshoot. First off, I know some use the terms modem / router interchangeably, and nowadays ISPs provide “combo” units which makes that more confusing, did your ISP replace the modem or was it your router? Or was it a combo unit?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I’m not super tech savvy but might be able to help you troubleshoot. First off, I know some use the terms modem / router interchangeably, and nowadays ISPs provide “combo” units which makes that more confusing, did your ISP replace the modem or was it your router? Or was it a combo unit?

I just looked it up and it is a router.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Amen to that. They changed the router maybe 4-5 months back, then my kid put a cup of water in the wrong spot and the new router got drenched so here we are with another router change. I bought a new printer last time because I couldn't figure this BS out then. Hoping to not have to do the same again as I literally just installed new ink cartriges which as you say are worth a f***ing mint. :madfire:

I may have to do just that, I've just become spoiled doing wireless printing over the last number of years. As they say, first world problems!

Is yours a small personal printer or a big office sized one? Mine is office sized. Comes with everything except fax and 2-sided printing. Canon ImageClass MF624CW. Got it on sale from Staples several years ago. $250 at the time.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Printers are a disgrace to humanity. No piece of technology has or is less user friendly. my experiences is to buy a new printer.
Plus…
Yes! 100% agreed. I've been saying for many years that printers are my mortal enemy. Always have problems with them. So much so that I refuse to own one anymore. :laugh: I just use the printer at my workplace if needed. Sorry BBO, I can't help you with your friggin' printer! :mad:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is yours a small personal printer or a big office sized one? Mine is office sized. Comes with everything except fax and 2-sided printing. Canon ImageClass MF624CW. Got it on sale from Staples several years ago. $250 at the time.

Personal, but I mostly use it for work.

Okay, did you set a different password and name for the network from your previous router?

Nope, each router has its own password so obviously the router name/# and the password changed, but I did not change it.

Yes! 100% agreed. I've been saying for many years that printers are my mortal enemy. Always have problems with them. So much so that I refuse to own one anymore. :laugh: I just use the printer at my workplace if needed. Sorry BBO, I can't help you with your friggin' printer! :mad:

They are the annoying bastards of the tech world.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Printers and Chainsaws. The 2 things that really haven't seen much advancement in years and are the cause of many f bombs :laugh:

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Personal, but I mostly use it for work.

Nope, each router has its own password so obviously the router name/# and the password changed, but I did not change it.

They are the annoying bastards of the tech world.

When you try to log in to the wifi with your printer, are you going on the 5G or non 5G network log in? They might have separate passwords that could be mixed up by accident. Also, not sure but the printer may only be able to connect to the non 5G network if it’s older

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
When you try to log in to the wifi with your printer, are you going on the 5G or non 5G network log in? They might have separate passwords that could be mixed up by accident. Also, not sure but the printer may only be able to connect to the non 5G network if it’s older

I have no idea how to log into my wifi with my printer. Non 5G, this is DSL.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I have no idea how to log into my wifi with my printer. Non 5G, this is DSL.

Hmm, I’ve always either plugged in my printers via USB or logged into the Wi-Fi directly from the printer. What is the mode of the printer? I can see if I can figure out how you log into the Wi-Fi with the printer

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If your wireless router lets you do a WPS setup (basically just a way to quickly pair up devices), this might work.

If not, there is probably a way to use your printer drivers with your printer USB connected to your PC to manually set the wifi settings, but usually the canon printers also let you set up wifi a little easier with an app on your phone, like this guide

Once the printer is connected, on the laptop, if your printer is still there in your printer list, might be easiest to delete it and try to find it again. Likely the printer has a new IP, and it's possible your laptop doesn't like that is changed. Discover the printer again from scratch.

Side note on printers since I've been especially annoyed lately by one. Don't bother with stupid ink tank ones. I spent extra on a Canon G3200, and found out they put a counter on them for how much it'll print before doing into a error code mode. It's some crap about this ink absorbing pad in it getting full and needing maintenance. They want like $150 for me to ship it to Calgary to do the work on it. Tried to absorb up the ink myself and all kinds of things, hacks to reset the counter, but the thing is just a disaster inside now with ink all over the place. This crap was not made to reliably ever do anything close to the thousands of pages they claim these huge vats of ink can do without needing to buy cartridges. They are made to be a money pit a different way, needing endless maintenance. Total bullcrap scam, although maybe people have had luck with other brands of ink tank printers. Not trying another one though. back to cartridges.

Last edited:

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
b8nve-1.gif

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
so, connecting the printer directly (via usb) to your computer and then adjusting the ip address (or DHCP settings if dynamic) doesn't work for you?

The process (when switching ISP's or routers or whatever, where the IP address or wireless login creds change) is usually:

1. download your software for the printer.
2. take your printer and physically move it next to your computer so u can connect to it via usb.
3. open your software, find your wireless settings, change the IP address so it makes sense on your network and update the wireless credentials to match.
4. put printer back.
5. print stuff.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

take a hammer and teach that mother f***er a lesson

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
so, connecting the printer directly (via usb) to your computer and then adjusting the ip address (or DHCP settings if dynamic) doesn't work for you?

The process (when switching ISP's or routers or whatever, where the IP address or wireless login creds change) is usually:

1. download your software for the printer.
2. take your printer and physically move it next to your computer so u can connect to it via usb.
3. open your software, find your wireless settings, change the IP address so it makes sense on your network and update the wireless credentials to match.
4. put printer back.
5. print stuff.

I have not done that. I was trying to do #3 but had no luck in doing so.

take a hammer and teach that mother f***er a lesson

This is more up my alley and within my pathetic capabilities! :lol:

Try a factory reset if you can do it. I had a POS cannon printer years ago that gave me this issue and that worked once.

How do I do that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad